Notary seal question

Hi guys,

I ordered two silencers from silencer shop in the past ten days or so and they e-mailed me and said that the notary seal on my trust is not visible and that it could be rejected for that reason. I am not sure if that is true or not, but this is my first foray into the NFA world and they seem to sell a ton of silencers so I assume they would know? The seal on my trust is kind of faint, even looking at it in person you can tell its been sealed, but its hard to make out the text on the seal. My scanner picks up none of it. My trust is signed by the notary as well.

I am just curious if there is anything you guys are able to do to make the seal appear more visible in electronic format, or what?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

I've seen some notarized documents from my local Registry of Deeds where the notary seal has been darkened by rubbing the side of a soft pencil over the raised parts.

I've seen some notarized documents from my local Registry of Deeds where the notary seal has been darkened by rubbing the side of a soft pencil over the raised parts.

That is a trick that works.

When I filed for my FL permit, they claimed that there was no raised seal on my application. Turns out that they scan it in and work off the scanned copy not the paper copy. Others may do the same, so it pays to do something that will make the seal obvious if one were to scan it in and the pencil trick is an easy way to do this.

Thank you Terry and Len. I tried that. All of the letters of the stamp are not entirely legible, but you can tell it has been stamped. Also it is signed by the notary. We'll see how that goes, but hopefully its sufficient.

Send them the original with a self-addressed samped envelope and have them send it back?

I woudn't do that with anything I don't expect or need to get back from Uncle Sam.

All my docs have NO raised notary seals. They are all ink stamps.

I woudn't do that with anything I don't expect or need to get back from Uncle Sam.

All my docs have NO raised notary seals. They are all ink stamps.

either is acceptable but the ink is far more practical

http://www.mass.gov/governor/getinvolved/notary/notary-public-frequently-asked-questions.html

Notaries must have and use a stamp or seal. It can be either a black ink stamp, or a seal that makes an indentation on the paper. The stamp or seal must contain: (1) the notary public's name; (2) the words "notary public," "Commonwealth of Massachusetts" or "Massachusetts," and "my commission expires on" or "my commission expires" or "commission expires" (all of which indicate the commission expiration date); and (3) a facsimile of the great seal of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. If you are a current notary and have a seal that has all of this information except for the expiration date, you may obtain a black ink stamp that has your name and the expiration date. You then would use both the stamp and the seal each time you notarize a document.

Most other states (at least their courts) will NOT accept anything without the raised seal. I agree that ink is more practical but it will get rejected on court docs for other states. I've had that issue before, as most of the legal papers I serve are for non-MA courts.

Most other states (at least their courts) will NOT accept anything without the raised seal. I agree that ink is more practical but it will get rejected on court docs for other states. I've had that issue before, as most of the legal papers I serve are for non-MA courts.

NODAK is cool with INK. Can't speak for any others

As a Notary I'll tell you some people have girly hands and have a hard time squeezing the stamp. When I renew I will go with only an ink style seal.

I was doing a ton of overseas travel docs and many of the third world country's only like that true embossed seal. Some got hard over the gold foil.

The Notary supply places also sell a light ink stamp that gets applied after the embossing. Works better for copies. The pencil trick also works.

Back
Top Bottom