• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not with this site, but...

I need help and this IS the Tech Support thread.[grin]

I tried to download the free trial version of World of Warcraft. My Windows firewall, which I have clicked as off because I have other software with a fire wall, is still showing as on and it's keeping me from downloading the trial version.

Help...anyone?

(keep in mind I am NOT a 'puter guru, so use little words [wink])

I need help and this IS the Tech Support thread.[grin]

I tried to download the free trial version of World of Warcraft. My Windows firewall, which I have clicked as off because I have other software with a fire wall, is still showing as on and it's keeping me from downloading the trial version.

Help...anyone?

(keep in mind I am NOT a 'puter guru, so use little words [wink])

Hi Lynne-

You probably need to at least temporarily disable the firewall or
map ports through it for the Blizzard downloader program.

This help page describes what to do in "technical" terms, if you
want to change the settings on your router/firewall to accommodate the software.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21077

I find it is a good idea to put these in your internet router and/or firewall because if you get into playing WoW it will need to update
itself periodically... and when you go to update if those ports are
blocked, you will often end up having the same kind of problems.

Do you have a router on your home network? (thing that hooks up to cable/DSL modem? ) Your router might also be blocking the
traffic and not necessarily the firewall on your PC.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I did try to shut off the Windows Firewall, but it's not paying attention to me. It's almost as if it's ignoring me. I've even cursed at it and that didn't help (usually works on hubby [laugh] ). I'll check out the link tho. Thanks. [grin]

but it's not paying attention to me. It's almost as if it's ignoring me. I've even cursed at it and that didn't help (usually works on hubby )

I'm lost...Are you refering to your computer or a six year old kid????[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom