North American Arms Companion Thread of Blithering

So, I'm back on the NAA Companion train. I don't know what it is about these cap and ball mini revolvers, but every few months I think about them and I think I'm finally going to get one.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine went to the range with me and I showed him my NAA MiniMaster, which is basically the target model mini revolver NAA makes. We talked about how slow the reloads are and I told him that there are black powder variants that NAA makes that you could reload with a pre-loaded cylinder, sort of like the 1858 reproductions. We both thought those would be better for faster reloads than reloading a mini revolver where you have to pull the cylinder out, punch out the empties, reload, and put the cylinder back in.

Then a few days later, it hit me: The best reload with an NAA mini revolver is a second gun. Given how small they are, it wouldn't be that difficult to carry two NAA revolvers. In fact, it would be a good idea because, say something happens to the first one where it won't work? Say a squib happened? Or the cylinder wouldn't index? Those have happened to me in standard revolvers I have at the range twice this year... IN THE SAME MONTH!

So, I'm sold on the two NAA concept. As you know, two is one, one is none, but the thing is, I've never shot a mini revolver with the tiny grip. My model has a big full size grip the size of a plum and it feels great in the hand. There's the possibility that I may not like the little grip on the NAA, so I don't want to spend big $ on something I won't like.

Enter the black powder NAA revolver, the Companion. I've seen these sell for $130 on auction and there's no FFL fee, so I would get the experience shooting with the little grip, get the experience shooting the BP model, and if I don't like it, turn it around and get my $ back pretty quick.

Also, I've seen a lot of videos and read some other forums of people trying a grain or two of a fast burning smokeless powder in them and they don't blow up. Idk about you, but a Companion loaded with smokeless powder and a 30 grain bullet with a second pre-loaded cylinder loaded with smokeless as well for a fast reload would not make me feel unarmed.

This concludes my blithering NAA Companion thread.

I have a 22lr mini, a black powder companion and the black powder super companion. The black powder mini are a total blast. Mostly I use them with just a cap and a .22 air gun pellet, no powder. I’ve also used them with home made black.
From what I’ve read if your gonna use smokeless only use bullseye. For the folks that do use bullseye I guess the cylinder pin is the weak point. I would do lots of research before trying this.
I’ve tried #4 buckshot instead of the 29g bullets naa sells. #4 is .240? so they are hard to seat and leave a thick ring of lead but they work and are way cheaper than buying naa projectiles.
I’ve had them apart a few times now. They first time took me days to get it back together. The parts are tiny. I just replaced a hand spring a few days ago and it only took a few minutes to take apart and put back together. Easy once you learn the tricks.
The black powder minis have no safety notch so the only safe way to carry it would be to only load four out of five and rest the hammer on the empty chamber

Last edited:
From what I’ve read if your gonna use smokeless only use bullseye. For the folks that do use bullseye I guess the cylinder pin is the weak point. I would do lots of research before trying this.
I've talked with a guy on youtube who used Red Dot, which he prefers because it's bulkier as it is mostly a shotgun powder. I guess it ignites more easily???

I really don't know what more to research as there are people who have made videos and posted on other forums who have researched this a lot, have tried it, and haven't had anything dangerous like an explosion happen. I know that when Freedom Arms made these before they sold them to NAA, they advertised using Bullseye in them and NAA did for a very short time as well. Then the legal beagles obviously told them they have to say black powder only for liability purposes.

I'm not looking to max load these with smokeless every single time I shoot them. Mostly I would use black powder during recreation, but for any "social work" I think it's hard to beat a smokeless load that drives a 30 grain bullet at nearly 1200 fps from a sub 2 inch barrel.

Does anyone know if you can get a .22lr conversion cylinder for these? They look really cool and that would seal it for me.

There are conversion cylinders in .22 lr that fit the super companion but they don’t have the safety notch so you can only carry with 4 rounds.
They come up for sale on gunbroker every once and awhile for around $200

Back
Top Bottom