Non Resident Pistol Permit Question

SML

Hello fellow NES'rs,

I'm about to apply for a Connecticut non resident pistol permit, but had a few questions on the application process...

1.) I have to call the 800 to be sent a "packet"? Is this where the fingerprint card is given to me? From what I've gathered in state residents only have to fill out the form 799 and get printed at their PD.

2.) with regard to the fingerprint card, who must print me? Do I take it to my local PD and ask them? Any other options? It's a large city and I see this being an unnecessary hurdle as waiting for an appointment for prints and my ltc interview took over 6 weeks.

3.) I have the MA basic pistol training cert from August 2013. Is this current enough?

thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

1. Yes
2. I had my local PD do it but if you think you'd have better luck in a neighboring town I don't believe they care what PD prints you. Call your local PD...I bet they have a couple of time windows when they do prints.
3. Maybe....if it was the full 8 hour course with live fire. Do you have the course number off your certificate? I believe the Special License and Firearms Unit has more details on their site...I will try to dig up the link.

From the SLFU site...

"You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit."

http://ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&Q=494614&desppNav_GID=2080

Thanks! The course I took included live fire and was 8 hrs long. I will have to check on the course number. I'll at least get sent the packet and see if I'm able to submit it with what I have.

Sounds like you should be good to go. If all else fails just call the SLFU...they are very friendly.

The course I have taken is called Massachusetts Pistol License LTC 020. It was taught by a Mass State certified instructor. The certificate has the Mass State Police Seal and a stamp indicating live fire training was completed as part of the class. From what I can tell the curriculum of this class mirrors the NRA basic pistol class. The instructor is NRA certified. Any idea if this course counts for the training requirement?

The words that the DESPP are looking for are "NRA Basic Pistol". You may be able to work it out with them since the course included live fire. But I doubt it.

Don

p.s. This should server as a reminder that if you are going to pay for base level instruction, spend the extra money for a NRA Basic Pistol class. Every out of state license that does not accept a copy of your in state license as proof of training requires the NRA certificate.

I ran into an issue where the course I took in AZ was above and beyond the NRA Basic Pistol (live fire included), with an NRA instructor. They rejected it as "it wasn't an NRA course" because it didn't have NRA in the title.

"...successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association..." (bolded for emphasis). http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm (29-28b)

They told me that my out of state instructor would need to file course documents with the Commissioner to verify that it would meet the minimum requirements. At issue, again, is that the course did not have NRA in the title.

Mitch,

Here's the reality as to the part "approved by the commissioner of public safety".

Only one course other than NRA Basic Pistol has ever been approved. It was a course submitted by Ed Peruta as an exercise to see if they would approve the course. Ed is not a firearms instructor, and had no intention of ever training anyone. He did it to see if they would approve it. They did.

Since then CT Carrytried to gain approval for course outline in 2012. This was not approved. We are now working with highly experienced trainers to create a syllabus that will better prepare CT citizens. Unfortunately though, even this won't have national recognition.

Don

Ok so I just got off the phone with the SLFU just to check if my course would or would not be acceptable and to my surprise, it is. LTC 020 with the live fire component has been an approved course that the unit is accepting.

What prompted me to call was this instructor's website I came across:

http://www.nrapistolinstructor.com/MA_Pistol_License_Course.html

The very first paragraph mentions the course I took (not from this instructor) as being approved by Connecticut. "Lindsay" at the SFLU confirmed that that course LTC 020 was in fact approved.

Other than my phone call though these are the only two places I've seen that Connecticut will accept another course besides NRA Basic Pistol.

Thanks for the wealth of information, Don. I have yet another question regarding wording differences between the instruction sheet from the application packet and the text of the application itself.

For the proof of US citizenship, the instructions sheet says submit a copy of your birth certificate or passport, and says send a copy, do not send original. The form itself says send a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport.
My question is, do they need to be a certified copy or just a copy? If anyone could chime in on which type of citizenship document they provided that would be great.

Thanks for the wealth of information, Don. I have yet another question regarding wording differences between the instruction sheet from the application packet and the text of the application itself.

For the proof of US citizenship, the instructions sheet says submit a copy of your birth certificate or passport, and says send a copy, do not send original. The form itself says send a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport.
My question is, do they need to be a certified copy or just a copy? If anyone could chime in on which type of citizenship document they provided that would be great.

Steve...I believe I sent in a photocopy of my birth certificate. If my memory serves I recall the SLFU telling me that the raised seal should be visible in the copy. Don might be able to confirm but IMO it might be worth calling them back to avoid any headaches.

I can't help here. My knowledge is mainly to do with resident applications, which are made in person at the DESPP, or items that a resident app has in common with a non resident app. This is something I've never heard asked.

Its interesting, a suit on this very issue was brought by a member of the BFPE. He had his PP for many years and about 5 years ago at renewal they required he prove citizenship.

He refused.

They refused.

A legal standoff ensued. There is no statutory requirement to show documentation of citizenship. But Kuck lost.

If you want details, google Kuck v danaher

Don

I took the LTC 020 course at MA Firearms School and they supplied me with a copy of the letter from Lt. Eric Cooke (Commander of the SLFU) dated March 7, 2014 stating that LTC 020 had been approved for CT State Pistol Permit. My package was delivered to SLFU in Middletown on 8/28. No word yet.
What prompted me to call was this instructor's website I came across:

http://www.nrapistolinstructor.com/MA_Pistol_License_Course.html

The very first paragraph mentions the course I took (not from this instructor) as being approved by Connecticut. "Lindsay" at the SFLU confirmed that that course LTC 020 was in fact approved.

Other than my phone call though these are the only two places I've seen that Connecticut will accept another course besides NRA Basic Pistol.

OK.. So while I was writing this post this afternoon guess what was sitting in my mailbox.... Yep ... CT Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. Permit was issued on 10/15 (6 Weeks) an d delivered today (7 Weeks). So now I am legal in all NE states except RI (Which is not going to happen)

I took the LTC 020 course at MA Firearms School and they supplied me with a copy of the letter from Lt. Eric Cooke (Commander of the SLFU) dated March 7, 2014 stating that LTC 020 had been approved for CT State Pistol Permit. My package was delivered to SLFU in Middletown on 8/28. No word yet.

There is one thing you MA folks need to realize. The CT pistol permit process should not be a stressful affair. Particularly for non res because you don't have to go through a town.

Its a simple administrative process. You put a form and money in one end. A pistol permit pops out the other end. If you are not a prohibited person you won't be denied. There is no target and hunting license and there is no statutory basis for limitations.

Its very simple. If you participate in the process and submit a complete application, you will be able to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in CT.

Don

There is one thing you MA folks need to realize. The CT pistol permit process should not be a stressful affair. Particularly for non res because you don't have to go through a town.

Its a simple administrative process. You put a form and money in one end. A pistol permit pops out the other end. If you are not a prohibited person you won't be denied. There is no target and hunting license and there is no statutory basis for limitations.

Its very simple. If you participate in the process and submit a complete application, you will be able to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in CT.

Don

Very true Don...painless process. The price was a little steep but it's good for 5 years so not bad in the big picture. As I've mentioned a few times in this thread the SLFU has always been very pleasant to deal with as well. It's a shame that "An Act Concerning Gun Violence and Children's Safety" was passed otherwise I probably would have moved back to my home state.

All true. Got mine last week. Elapsed time from mailing of application to receipt of permit was 7 weeks. Not that it matters but mailed my BATF 03FFL C&R application on the same day and got it in the mail the exact same day as the CT permit!!!! How strange is that.
Very true Don...painless process. The price was a little steep but it's good for 5 years so not bad in the big picture. As I've mentioned a few times in this thread the SLFU has always been very pleasant to deal with as well. It's a shame that "An Act Concerning Gun Violence and Children's Safety" was passed otherwise I probably would have moved back to my home state.

Just got my application back in the mail as incomplete with the box checked that said my course certificate did not meet the minimum course requirements. I have taken MA LTC 020 with live fire...I also specifically called and asked if that course was approved and was told it was. Now to sign up for an NRA basic pistol course :(

Just got my application back in the mail as incomplete with the box checked that said my course certificate did not meet the minimum course requirements. I have taken MA LTC 020 with live fire...I also specifically called and asked if that course was approved and was told it was. Now to sign up for an NRA basic pistol course :(

Did you get the name of the person who originally told you it was adequate?

I'd call before I signed up for NRA Basic Pistol.

Did you get the name of the person who originally told you it was adequate?

I'd call before I signed up for NRA Basic Pistol.

I did get her name - Lindsay. I was at work today so couldn't call but the only thing I could think of is that I took the class in 2013 with a different instructor than the one whose website advertises that his LTC 020 course is approved. So if it was just approved this year or only for that instructors curriculum I could somewhat see that. I'll try and call on Monday and get the full scoop.

Just a datapoint on my experience:

- Took the CT class at MFS. They provided all the application material and hand-held us filling it out perfectly, and did the fingerprint cards.
- Mailed certified mail Mid-December.
- A few days after it was received in CT, I ran into my town's Licensing Officer who told me he received a fax from CT checking up on me and he sent it back immediately.
- Received the license in the mail toward the end of February. So it was a bit over a 2 month turnaround time.

Only one course other than NRA Basic Pistol has ever been approved.
I had no trouble using the NRA instructor certificate (for home firearms safety and basic pistol) with my CT application.

I had no trouble using the NRA instructor certificate (for home firearms safety and basic pistol) with my CT application.

Yeah. There seems to be a history of PDs exercising some common sense around that. I know of multiple cases in MA where NRA certified instructors were allowed to submit their instructor credentials in lieu of proof of completion of a MA certified handgun course, for their LTCs.

Back
Top Bottom