Non Resident Permit

I can't speak to CT, but you KNOW this about NH how?

You are wrong about NH, of that I am certain.

I guess I don't explicitly know that NH would turn me down, but after reading the NH Non-resident application and reading that:
Non-Resident License Application said:
A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.
I'll choose my words more carefully next time [thinking]. I thought it was pretty cut and dry what they were saying, but I apologize, the last thing I want to do is spread bad information.

What are the restrictions on your MA LTC??
Are you allowed to carry a loaded gun on your person?

I have a LTC-A with Restrictions: "SPORT AND TARGET NO CONCEAL CARRY"

You could transport THROUGH CT without a permit. But if you had a friend who lived in CT, and you wanted to go shooting, even if he has a permit, you would be breaking the law while you were going to his house.

I would be staying at my parent's place in CT, not passing through. That's why I wanted to get things squared away legally and not get myself or anyone else in trouble.

Last edited:
I can't speak with absolute authority about NH, but it looks like your MA might not work to get your NH permit. But the NH law you cited explicitly does indicate that a non-resident FL permit WOULD work.

If you are staying at your parents, you would not be legal bringing handguns into CT for general recreational purposes. Keep in mind though that any long guns are essentially completely unregulated in CT. No permit, no FID. Just bring it in and have fun. The only restriction on long guns in CT is that they can not be loaded in a car. "loaded" is defined as a magazine in the magwell and/or round in the chamber.

You can literally drive around in CT with an (post ban) AR across your lap and a 30 round mag in your hand. You are not breaking any laws.

Hope this helps.

Sec. 53-205. Shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders in vehicles and snowmobiles.

No person shall carry or possess in any vehicle or snowmobile any shotgun or rifle or muzzleloader of any gauge or caliber while such shotgun or rifle or muzzleloader contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged or when such muzzleloader has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flint lock contains powder.

Muzzleloader as used in this section means a rifle or shotgun, incapable of firing a self-contained cartridge and which must be loaded at the muzzle end. The enforcement officers of the Department of Environmental Protection are empowered to enforce this section.

Last edited:
To the OP:

I wasn't chastising you for the NH comment. Just correcting you.

You HAVE a VALID LTC and that is all that NH is looking for. Restrictions do NOT matter, per NH RSAs. Some zealous fools at NH SP took it upon themselves to "create a rule" once or twice and was soundly chastised and corrected. It is a non-problem, so if you wish to shop armed in NH, feel free to get a NH permit and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom