• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident LTC question

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I haven't been able to find specific reference here or elsewhere.

IIRC, it's been said that when a person applies for a non-resident LTC, the LTC is for ALP, so they can CCW. However, what if that person is licensed to OWN a gun in their home state, but not to CCW? Are the restrictions placed on their license in their home state also applied in MA?

In this particular case, the person is a California resident with a Handgun Safety Certificate (basically a license that allows them to purchase/own/transport firearms), but does not have the additional CA license to CCW. He is staying Massachusetts for several months for a grad school program, and wants to bring his gun with him.

When he applies for his non-resident LTC, will they deny him or restrict it for CCW?

NO, MA NR LTCs are issued in accordance with MGLs. They don't add any "suitability" interpretations like local chiefs do. AFAIK, they are always/almost always issued as LTC-A/ALP . . . even if you have NO permit from your home (or any other) state.

Last edited:
On a side note, you should tell him to bring as much ammunition as possible with him, as with a MA NR LTC he cannot purchase ammunition or firearms in the state. He could go to NH though.

On a side note, you should tell him to bring as much ammunition as possible with him, as with a MA NR LTC he cannot purchase ammunition or firearms in the state.

You've got to be s***ing me!!! With a Massachusetts issued non-resident LTC, you can't buy ammo in Mass???

On a side note, you should tell him to bring as much ammunition as possible with him, as with a MA NR LTC he cannot purchase ammunition or firearms in the state. He could go to NH though.

I learn something new everyday I guess... wow.

Unfortunately, it's no joke...He can't.

He S---s you not. There are all sorts of things that don't make sense in MGL.

The term "Firearm" refers only to handguns in most sections of the law, but a
"Firearms ID Card" only lets you possess some rifles and shotguns (which aren't "firearms" under MGL)

Non-citizens living outside MA can mail order a non-resident LTC-A Non-citizens living inside of MA can only get an "Alien FID".

Think of Massachusetts law in general (and gun law in particular) like quantum mechanics. As Richard Feynman once said (possibly quoting someone else) if it seems to make sense to you, then you really don't understand it.

Ken

Leave em home, or face being an instant felon here in Mass......

What?

In a related question, I've read (packing.org and I believe here) that a letter from your local Chief or Sherriff is a required part of the application packet for a NR LTC. The CHSB website does not have any information, and the lady I spoke with at the phone number given for them stated that they didn't need or want anything beyond the fingerprint cards, the application packet and the money order.

The lady was right.

Yes, possession of ANY hi-cap mags made post-9/13/94 is a felony unless the possessor is a law enforcement officer. Matters not if the person is a resident, visitor, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom