non resident ammo purchase

sigh

Nothing, nada, zilch, zippo!

Just do not start off your conversation with the clerk with "I have a MA resident LTC-A....." and you'll be fine.

Sigh

I was "carded" at Milford Firearms in Milford, NH for an ammo purchase. Just a flash, but he wanted to see it. Pretty near the border, tho.

I have witnessed numerous times, Mass residents buying ammo at the Wal*Mart in Amherst NH, the clerk asks to see an ID they glance at it and that is it.

[rofl] +1 for making me laugh on this lowsy rainy day.

on a side note its pretty much the same deal in Maine. I bought ammo at KTP and asked if they needed to see my LTC. The guy replied "All I need is your money buddy"

It's actually a direct quote from some lady in Alabama. When my buddy moved down there he went to a sporting goods store and asked the lady what he needed to buy the gun and she replied, "Money."

What about buying a handgun, or even a long arm from an FFL? IIRC, FTFs have to be between residents of the same state, or the two parties be "personally known" to each other. Also, would I be required to show a MA FID/LTC if I were a MA resident, even if I intended to keep the firearm(s) in question within the boundaries of NH? I understand that without the non resident permit, I would be unable to carry concealed, or loaded in a vehicle( plan is to have gun in center console, with mags in a locked glove box(or trunk if need be)

Hypothetically speaking, I may or may not be waiting on my local PD to give the yea or nay to my class A. Expecting them to drop it to a B, or best case, a hunting/target shooting A, as that's the publically acknowledged, though "unofficial" policy of my local PD chief

If you don't have an MA firearms license of the appropriate class you cannot purchase a firearm in NH, not even a rifle/shotgun. (Handguns must always be transferred into MA anyways) There is a chunk of US code (federal law) that dictates any federally licensed firearms dealer has to obey this provision.

Federal law also blocks you buying anything on a private sale from an NH resident, because you are not an NH resident (or at least, by virtue of what you posted here, you're not. )

-Mike

Bought ammo at Al's Gun & Reel, Riley's, State Line, Manchester Firing Line, Milford Firearms, the WalMart in Amherst and of course the Manchester show. Of these, only State Line asked for ID.

If I get a non-resident LTC-A, can I buy ammo in MA?

Bought ammo at Al's Gun & Reel, Riley's, State Line, Manchester Firing Line, Milford Firearms, the WalMart in Amherst and of course the Manchester show. Of these, only State Line asked for ID.

If I get a non-resident LTC-A, can I buy ammo in MA?

No. the Simons Rock BS blocks it. You're not missing much.... (although I suppose if you come down here regularly, it might be convenient at times... )

-Mike

If you don't have an MA firearms license of the appropriate class you cannot purchase a firearm in NH, not even a rifle/shotgun. (Handguns must always be transferred into MA anyways) There is a chunk of US code (federal law) that dictates any federally licensed firearms dealer has to obey this provision.

Federal law also blocks you buying anything on a private sale from an NH resident, because you are not an NH resident (or at least, by virtue of what you posted here, you're not. )

-Mike

What about gifted from, say, a parent in another state? That's not purchasing, so the states in question have no right to cry like a 14yo girls about not getting their tax money. Also, non-federali attachments...remember, no money changed hands. Or did some asshat in DC pull something out of thin air to cover that, too?

What about gifted from, say, a parent in another state? That's not purchasing...

The method of acquisition is largely irrelevant.

Generally, transfers between individuals with different states of residence are prohibited (18 USC 922(a)(3) and 922(a)(5)).

What about gifted from, say, a parent in another state? That's not purchasing, so the states in question have no right to cry like a 14yo girls about not getting their tax money. Also, non-federali attachments...remember, no money changed hands. Or did some asshat in DC pull something out of thin air to cover that, too?

It's still considered a transfer WRT federal law. The fed gift exemption only works if the giver and the recipient are residents of the same state.

-Mike

You need your LTC (or FID) and probably a DL . . . as well as money! They do the 4473 and NICS check and you are out the door. This assumes that the shotgun isn't "an evil assault shotgun" per MGLs.

And you can only make the purchase from an FFL (this is Fed law) in whatever state you are visiting, subject to their state laws (wrt waiting periods, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom