• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-res "Proof of knowledge of handgun safety"

Question for all you ME non-res CCW permit holders out there:

The Maine Non-Resident application package lists as a requirement:
Proof of knowledge of handgun safety. Please see page 11 paragraph (5) of "Laws Relating to Permits to Carry Concealed Firearms”

...which, in turn, states:
(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.

The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if the issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration of such knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.

The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any of the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic firearms training.

I've taken the NRA basic handgun safety class, but it was more than 5 years ago. I would hope that holding an MA unrestricted LTC would be sufficient proof of understanding basic handgun safety principles, but then mine was issued well after 1990.

Have those of you who have received your ME non-res permits had to re-take a basic safety class in order to qualify? Or did Maine accept your home-state LTC / CCW permits as sufficient evidence?

Thanks,
Chris

The "demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority" means to a ME issuing authority, i.e., the ME state police. I seriously doubt that will happen.

Give them a call and ask what they specifically need.

Yep, came to the same conclusion. I've left them a message and will report back with the results.

I guess, worst case, this gives me an excuse to take some other interesting course... I'll just have to get a note from the instructor that he's covered the 4 rules [grin]

Closing out this topic, as I have what I believe is a definitive explanation of the "Proof of handgun safety" requriement:

According to the very helpful lady from the ME State Police with whom I spoke, the clause re: "...may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990" applies only to ME State permit holders who have possessed their permit, without lapse, since 1990.

She also stated that they will accept a signed statement from a local law enforcement official on department letterhead which attests that the applicant is known to be knowledgeable about firearm safety.

Without either of the above (or proof of military service), the applicant must meet the requirements of having attended a class, as outlined in the laws.

Closing out this topic, as I have what I believe is a definitive explanation of the "Proof of handgun safety" requriement:

According to the very helpful lady from the ME State Police with whom I spoke, the clause re: "...may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990" applies only to ME State permit holders who have possessed their permit, without lapse, since 1990.

She also stated that they will accept a signed statement from a local law enforcement official on department letterhead which attests that the applicant is known to be knowledgeable about firearm safety.

Without either of the above (or proof of military service), the applicant must meet the requirements of having attended a class, as outlined in the laws.

They are very helpful. I work as an armed security officer. She told me they would also accept a letter from my training department, on letter head, as proof. One of the guys on our training staff was more than willing to help me out.

Back
Top Bottom