No4 Mk2 getting better

So what did you find when checking your rifle. What bolt head length do you have?

What condition is you ejector screw in?

Good luck.

I have not done much other than adjust mag lips so rounds stay in mag and feed. That still needs a bit more adjusting as the bullet tips "hit " the feed ramp vs "riding " up the feed ramp. Also the headspace check with niners field guage.
That passed also.
As far as bolt head its stamp 1. Have not measured it yet for actual length. not sure what points to measure?
I have not yet closely inspected ejector screw. I just received new firing pin spring and extractor spring from Wolff. Along with k 98 spring set. So will be getting back to No4 soon.

UPDATE: Well the extractor spring was pretty much flat. It had some spring to it but compared to the new spring.....not so much.
onto the tool fabrication.

Last edited:
OK then. Have you ever read Peter Laidler's notes?
No sir i have not. More or less I just fell into 303s. I just put a low bid and it stuck.
All I have picked read comes from milsurps, gubboards and a few other tid bits on the net.
Just finished detail strip and clean. Went nice, everything was tight but not crazy tight. I dont think this rifle seen much use after it was imported to the US. Its used but not abused
importer is IAC alex VA
home made tool worked great for Fpin removal Craftsman 6mm deep 1/4 drive socket ground to fit with dremel tool.

I have several of his work books but the bulk of his work is free on line and covers things in depth from bolt turn over through trigger and stock work. Working UK armorer his whole life and still works at the sniper schools and Royal armories. I recommend his musings on the #1, #4 and BREN and STEN to anyone with an interest in UK arms.

What did the gauges tell you? Go-no-go and field?

I have several of his work books but the bulk of his work is free on line and covers things in depth from bolt turn over through trigger and stock work. Working UK armorer his whole life and still works at the sniper schools and Royal armories. I recommend his musings on the #1, #4 and BREN and STEN to anyone with an interest in UK arms.

What did the gauges tell you? Go-no-go and field?

Only had field guage. Bolt handle sat approx 1/4 high from the rear band. If that makes sense. Camera and computer are old and not working well at the moment.
I tried reading laidlers notes on milsurps but cant get images large enough to read.
Down loaded them to my computer but they wont open?

Greek hxp ammo placeing bullet in muzzle shows approx 1/4 of bullet left.
Pin protrussion was. 048 .
I replaced both extractor spring and main spring last night. I wont be shooting it till fed.

I was reading article found in link around laidlers stuff about the snipers.
It was good to see that when choosing rifles for sniperthey had to put 10 shots in a 3x3 at 100 yards to be considered. So if this thing does anything remotely close to under 5 or 6 moa I should be happy.

No, thank you. As. I said those little things get out of my sight they would vanish!
I guaged it that day I received it. Stuffed it in the envelope and off to PO.

little update

Well getting ready to test run it sat.
Doesnt show well in my crappy pics but this is where the bolt stopped with the field guage. Its a good amount away from closed. Just doesnt show well. whoops thats my crevis of a work space

The mag took a little tweeking with round toothless needlenose plyers to get to feed well. not only the lips being turned in and down but the front to rear angle needed tweeking. So now all the rounds feed smoothly with out poping from mag.
I had a ejection issue. Seems the ejection screw was a tad loose and a tad short. I carefully removed a little material from the screw head/shoulder area and was able to get the tip to protrude a little more and all is well. It didnt take much.

So all seems well. Now just to see how it groups and where it shoots?

no4 mk2 shot well.

So she shot well for me never have taken a shot with it.
Shot a few inches left it took some time to setttle.
Shooting through posistions with HXP ammo I shot a 370/500.
Not to bad. With some nice reloads I think I can shoot 400.

no4 mk2 cmp not to bad

I have not shot a rifle since nov 3 2013.... I choked standing. Function was fine. trying to determine accuracy was a waste of time. 1st time shooting a lee enfield, out of practice and HXP surplus ammo....... I think I was the worst in the equation [smile]

standing SF

prone RF

Sitting RF

Prone SF

By the time I got to the standing round my eyes where watering and had a hard time seeing through the peep. I been able to stay in the 400s with my other bolt actions but thats with reloads and some time getting my sights "zero'd" to my likes...

today was a 370/500 i had 4 misses.....yuk

30g 4895.jpg
Well today I got to play with some cast loads with the No4 MkII

200 grain 314299 lyman mold 30 grains H4895 best group of the test loads. I also tried some 2400 and trail boss. So looks like this load is just under 4 moa. If I can hold the black @ 100 with these loads and zero my sights it will be a fun inexpensive shooter.

well its been a while since I had this old dog out.
The bore was not very pretty when I got it. I cleaned and shot it, cleaned it more. Shot cast loads through it for a while and cleaned it again. Its looking better each time around but its still crudy. lots of pitting near the muzzle end.
here it is a while back

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ME-uEPnXME&t=9s

Here it is now. I have a different camera so it does not look the same.
Im going to give the bore another deep cleaning. I ran a patch of Montana Extreme Copper killer through it with one patch so far.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSbcCyudeM

shot it in the cmp vintage match few months ago and did ok. I had a hard time seeing the thin front sight. I also had a little issue cycling the bolt left handed in rapids...need a little practice. Next year. I think I got a silver for that score though ?
70JrnbYl.jpg

So what did the shell casings and gauges tell you ? Bolt heads are numbered but can vary as much as .015" to .0018". Meaning a # 3 can have several values. I have four #2's and each id .003" greater then the others.

arX1Bn1.jpg

ExjwAuu.jpg

Good luck on your next shoot.

So what did the shell casings and gauges tell you ? Bolt heads are numbered but can vary as much as .015" to .0018". Meaning a # 3 can have several values. I have four #2's and each id .003" greater then the others.

arX1Bn1.jpg

ExjwAuu.jpg

Good luck on your next shoot.
I only get this one out to a match every few years. It gauges good on the nogo.
Cases have been fine with the only issues coming from Winchester brass.
PPU and HXP have been fine. I just tossed the HXP (first time shooting HXP in match) in the tumbler and will inspect at some point . The PPU has held up well and I have 5 firings if the same 50 cases over the years.

Love to get a nice set of match sights for it along with a nice globe sight. Although not match legal for cmp Vintage

I have only HXP for a short time but it seems to do well the few times I have neck-sized the fired cases. Shot 200 rounds of it at the Trafalgar meet at Bisley some years ago but customs wouldn't let me back on the plane with the fired cases.

Good luck

JI6uVId.jpg

So I decided to do something I never tried. I filled my 303 bore with kroil.
Let it soak for hours to see what it did.

Sorry it’s up side down. I will edit later

View: https://youtu.be/e2GoqcpCkfw

After I hit it with a brush and more nasties came out. Then one pass of a patch soaked in Montana Extreme copper killer. I was not getting any more blue patches with the gunslick copper cleaner

Blue patch on left is just one push through
I think I uncovered the last 70 years of copper fouling doing the kroil?

View: https://imgur.com/a/ltzWIyy

Back
Top Bottom