• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No4 Mk2 getting better

mac1911

NES Member
Anyone have a set they like to rent or lone out. I have a new to me no4mkII I would like to check headspace on.

Shot it today 0 issues, well except i have not shot since nov 3 2013 and struggled a bit... shot cmp today

Last edited:
That's a heck of a rifle you scored, mac1911. Sorry, no .303 gauges, but I can loan you my firing pin/bolt disassemble tool if you need it.

That's a heck of a rifle you scored, mac1911. Sorry, no .303 gauges, but I can loan you my firing pin/bolt disassemble tool if you need it.
Was looking at that last night. Started fabricating one from a socket? Might take you up on that.

Firing pin tools aren't very expensive, every SMLE owner should have one. I have one gauge, I think it's a Field Gauge. I just have to find it. Where are you located?

And Maj. Spud, I still have your five rounds and stripper clip of .303.

I had 2 different firing pin tools and both broke. I made one by grinding a deep socket and have used it with success ever since.

I had 2 different firing pin tools and both broke. I made one by grinding a deep socket and have used it with success ever since.

I broke one, but only because I forgot to take out the screw that locks the other screw into place. [crying] Boy, did I feel umbday. Speaking of which, I can't find my effing head space gauges. I have one for the Enfield and two for Mosin Nagant. They are about the size of a dime, so I put them somewhere where they wouldn't get lost. So, I lost them. It's a good excuse to clean up the work bench area. Nothing else to do today. No doubt I'll find 20 other things that I didn't know I was missing.

I broke one, but only because I forgot to take out the screw that locks the other screw into place. [crying] Boy, did I feel umbday. Speaking of which, I can't find my effing head space gauges. I have one for the Enfield and two for Mosin Nagant. They are about the size of a dime, so I put them somewhere where they wouldn't get lost. So, I lost them. It's a good excuse to clean up the work bench area. Nothing else to do today. No doubt I'll find 20 other things that I didn't know I was missing.

I'm in Hanover days. I read about the shabby tool so I started making one myself.
With the 3 kids and a whacky schedule I have. Become lazy in the diy or make it yourself mindset.

I'm in Hanover days. I read about the shabby tool so I started making one myself.
With the 3 kids and a whacky schedule I have. Become lazy in the diy or make it yourself mindset.

I know where my firing pin tool is, in fact I have two and know where they both are. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find the field gauge.

I just took mine to a smith. Had no info on it. Had them inspect the bore and fire a few rounds. Cost me 40 bucks. But worth the piece of mind. My favorite gun to shoot

I'm pretty confident in my inspection skills. For 40 bucks I will buy the guages.
Greg Derr is the only gun Smith with in a reasonable drive I would even consider.
Which is why I have learned to do so much myself. I don't expect Derr to have 303 head space guages.
I don't think this gun is out of spec. I just like to check. The fact that you can replace the bolt heads to adjust head space I could get closer to min to help with brass life. I have a 1 head in there now. So I got. .009 to play with to tighten things up. As each head changes approx ..003"

I have them Mac1911... pm me your address and I will get them out to you. Just get them back to me with in a few weeks. Since my focus is the Enfield, I like to have them handy.

Awesome....niner your box is full.
While I have your attention. Have any #2,3 or 4 heads around? Also my rifle has a weak live round ejection from the left side ofcthe magazine. Is this a weak extractor spring or worn ejection screw?

Last edited:
Got a gauge, and a 0 head (minus the extractor). PM me if either will help.

On your extraction problem, two thoughts: can you tighten the ejector screw just a tad? Try that. Also, Enfields benefit from a pretty brisk motion; don't be afraid to manhandle the sucker.

Awesome....niner your box is full.
While I have your attention. Have any #2,3 or 4 heads around? Also my rifle has a weak live round ejection from the left side ofcthe magazine. Is this a weak extractor spring or worn ejection screw?

I got your email and I will get it out with in the next week. I will pm you when I get them out so you know they are on their way. It is a Okie gauge and you can find the instructions here http://www.okiegauges.com/.

It is also cut for the extractor so you do not have to remove anything. I am sending the field gauge which has a slightly larger tolerance. All I have is the field gauge and it is all I use.

I do not have a no go gauge as if you can load a 303 cartridge and close the bolt then it is good to go as far as the too little head space issue.

I checked my parts box and I have 3 No. 4 heads but they are all 1's. But those numbers where often not correct. If you mic what you need and send that to me I can mic mine and see how long they are. I would always use that method over the number system so you do not buy something that will not work.

And last I am not sure what you mean by a weak live round ejection? Do you mean that if you pull a loaded cartridge out of the chamber with the bolt action the cartridge does not eject? Can you please explain further?

Last edited:
I got your email and I will get it out with in the next week. I will pm you when I get them out so you know they are on their way. It is a Okie gauge and you can find the instructions here http://www.okiegauges.com/.

It is also cut for the extractor so you do not have to remove anything. I am sending the field gauge which has a slightly larger tolerance. All I have is the field gauge and it is all I use.

I do not have a no go gauge as if you can load a 303 cartridge and close the bolt then it is good to go as far as the too little head space issue.

I checked my parts box and I have 3 No. 4 heads but they are all 1's. But those numbers where often not correct. If you mic what you need and send that to me I can mic mine and see how long they are. I would always use that method over the number system so you do not buy something that will not work.

And last I am not sure what you mean by a weak live round ejection? Do you mean that if you pull a loaded cartridge out of the chamber with the bolt action the cartridge does not eject? Can you please explain further?

I took 5 dummy rounds I made up from some spent berdan cartridges and some 174gn hornady 303 bullets. When you cycle the action( after finally getting the mag feed lips to work) the live rounds eject fine from the cartridges on the right side of the mag but just flop from the rounds loaded and extracted from the left side seems odd but that's what happens?

I took 5 dummy rounds I made up from some spent berdan cartridges and some 174gn hornady 303 bullets. When you cycle the action( after finally getting the mag feed lips to work) the live rounds eject fine from the cartridges on the right side of the mag but just flop from the rounds loaded and extracted from the left side seems odd but that's what happens?

Yeah that does seem odd. It would be logical to assume that once the round is chambered it would not make any difference from which side of the mag it was loaded from. I assume the same cartridges will extract fine when hand loaded into the chamber one at a time with the mag not in place. I also assume that you tried loading the rounds in the mag in the opposite way so that the rounds that were loaded from the left side are then loaded from the right side and vice versa. I am assuming that both of those were tried and the problem was still there. If so, then you have excluded the rounds as being part of the problem.

Even with excessive head space, the round should be chambered exactly the same regardless of which side of the mag it is being loaded from and once the bolt is closed on it.

So, that leaves us with two possibilities. 1) the fact that the rounds mis-extracting are always from the left is a coincidence or 2) there is a factor about the mag that we cannot understand.

If the issue is #1 then I have two suggestions. First get a hold of a second magazine that is known to work and try it in your No. 4. If your mag works in the other rifle then it is your mag. Then I would take your mag and put it into a different No. 4. rifle. If you get the same results with extraction then it is the mag. And vice versa.

But I find it hard to believe it is the mag. So lets assume the left side mag issue is a coincidence and look at other possibilities.

The extractor action on an Enfield should be real stiff. If not, it could be the spring. You could also have a worn claw on the extractor. The claw should measure .20 inches. If it is longer (.24 inches) it belongs to the 7.62 version and it could be the problem. If it is shorter it could be worn. Replace in either case.

But most likely it is the extractor screw. The screw should be .33 inches long and has a .16 inch diameter. Check for those dimensions and if different replace the screw.

As I was reading Stratton's book to get those dimensions, I came across an idea. It might be possible that you have a 7.62 magazine in your No. 4. If so and since the 7.62 cartridge was rimless and shorter, the magazine held the extractor lip and the screw was retained even though it had no use. I would image google search the 7.62 mag and compare it to yours to make sure you have the right mag. The followers are different as well. If you have the right mag, I would check to make sure you have the right follower in the mag.

Hope that helps. Let me know what you come up with.

I have found when trying to fix guns that if a problem makes no sense, then you have multiple problems. I once bought a used IAI M1 Carbine that would not feed consistantly. It took me over a year to figure out what was wrong. Not only did I have the original problem to fix, which was an incorrectly angled feed ramp, but I had to undo all the problems created by previous owners in trying to fix it. So it could be that a previous owner messed with it as well.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it is the mag. Something about the rounds on the RIGHT side is off and interfering with the round you're trying to eject which just came off the left side.

Try loading and ejecting rounds from each side but before you eject them, pop out the mag and see if they eject consistently.

I had a tough time setting the feed tabs of my Savage The left side would dive on the 6th or 7th round and cause a jam. A lot of bending and fussing. I left it when I got it to feed three magazines without issue. Probably could still use a tweak by someone who knows their stuff.

T.

I'm thinking it is the mag. Something about the rounds on the RIGHT side is off and interfering with the round you're trying to eject which just came off the left side.

Try loading and ejecting rounds from each side but before you eject them, pop out the mag and see if they eject consistently.

That is an excellent explainatiion. It makes a lot of sense.

Yes this enfield had a mag lip issue from the get go. The strange ejection was there also. The feed lips took about 30 min of tune up to keep the rounds in the mag and feeding smoothly....once I get the headspace check complete and check out the extractor and ejector screw specs I will get back to posting my findings
Thank you all

THANK YOU

Thank you for the use of the guages. It checked out very good. If I have time I will post some pics. sending back to you tuess or wednesday....again thank you

When you going to get her out to the range, mac?
3rd Sunday in February Hanson rod and Gun cmp shoot. Running the rock Ola then I will play with the no4. If I can keep the rounds in the black with no4 I will do a vintage match over in Pembroke later this year.

On the way back, thank you

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I will let you know when it arrives. Also interested in knowing what the problem is with the ejection issue.

BTW, in all of the Enfields I have checked the headspace on there was only one that failed. That was was DP marked so it was not a surprise. The excessive space was also too large to fix with a long bolt head. They just did not make them that long.

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I will let you know when it arrives. Also interested in knowing what the problem is with the ejection issue.

BTW, in all of the Enfields I have checked the headspace on there was only one that failed. That was was DP marked so it was not a surprise. The excessive space was also too large to fix with a long bolt head. They just did not make them that long.

I didnt want that little thing hanging around longer than needed. If it went missing I doubt it would ever be seen again. I have not tackled the ejection problem again.
Maybe over the weekend. I got as far as tweeking the feed lips to the point the cartridges stay in the mag now and feed to the chamber. Needs a little more angle to the lips as the bullet tips are slaping into the feed ramp instead of riding smoothly up it.

Back
Top Bottom