No Gunsmith work on AR's

Hypothetical situation: smith logs AR into his books, does work, calls customer to pick it up. Something happens to the customer where they cannot pick the firearm up. Customer sends wife. Smith has to 4473 the AR to the wife along with background check. This would put him in violation of BS, would it not?

That's a happy fun ball situation that I've never heard of before, but it's worth exploring, legally. I'm not sure if there are insane requirements surrounding repairs.

-Mike

Okay fair enough. But just how far are YOU willing to go? Are you walking the walk or just talking the talk? It's really easy to knock some poor guy, no matter how misguided he might be. Everyone is really cautious right now and even GOAL is a little uneasy. Guy will like most, err on the side of caution because he wants to keep his business. If he loses business because people won't come to him, then who loses? He does by making a bad decision. It's part of a system known as capitalism. Lose enough business and maybe the policy will change or he might go out of business. In any event it's his problem, not yours and not mine.

Tell you what: why don't you organize a protest in front of the State House and everybody bring their unloaded ARs. Just stand there with some anti Healy signs. People keep saying that open carry is technically legal here, and why not with the dreaded Black Rifle? If that doesn't float your boat then something different but along the same lines.

I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen amigo.

Already been to the State House, amigo.

How far will I go? I will go so far as the law will allow me, as it is written. The bigger question is how far will I not go. I will not take an opinion of a tyrannical Attorney General and then extrapolate and go way beyond that, making shit up as I go along. I will not be tolerant of those who do.

AR work is easy, so the shop mentioned in the OP may just prefer to avoid low profit work. Or, as mentioned above – perhaps the customer is a PITA. Fear of Maura is another story, especially when the activity concerned was not a factor within any of her opinions .

Already been to the State House, amigo.

How far will I go? I will go so far as the law will allow me, as it is written. The bigger question is how far will I not go. I will not take an opinion of a tyrannical Attorney General and then extrapolate and go way beyond that, making shit up as I go along. I will not be tolerant of those who do.

AR work is easy, so the shop mentioned in the OP may just prefer to avoid low profit work. Or, as mentioned above – perhaps the customer is a PITA. Fear of Maura is another story, especially when the activity concerned was not a factor within any of her opinions .

I had a whole rant about this prepared earlier but just deleted it. The bottom line is he should go somewhere else.

That said, it really does piss me off when a shop in MA says "I wont do it because its illegal after 7/20" without any proof to back that up. If the shop simply said "We've made a business decision not to work on AR15's at this time" or even "My lawyer has advised me not to take on this kind of work at the moment". I can respect that. Making up fake law is terrible- because then that shit turns into a cancer.

This guy is probably saying that shit because its either a lame blow off excuse or some hurr durr fudd type or a know it all LEO harumph type blew that smoke straight up his ass and he fell for it.

Then again I've given up at trying to "correct" people a long time ago, although I make exceptions when it's in my face. A few weeks ago when a nipplehead was trying to tell some of my friends that the NH no-permit law only covered NH residents. I promptly told him "That is wrong, and if you believe it, I will bet you $1000. right now, that you are wrong. If you want to save us all the time, tell me what your bank you use, and I'll look up the branch on my phone. They're probably still open right now. I'm not even going to bother looking up my bank, because I already know I won't have to. " He just about shit his pants and then shut up. Then this is the same guy that a couple weeks later he is telling me about how a bunch of police chiefs in NH were upset about the new lawr and that he thought it should only be for NH residents because (blah blah blah insert effluvial bullshit here). I told him they'll get over it- and that anyone who doesn't like it, perhaps, can get some tucks medicated pads or something. I said "Vermont has had a similar system in play for probably as long, or longer than you've been alive, and they have no problems... why should any other state be any different?"

-Mike

Last edited:
I was more curious what the issue with the rifle was...for all we know it showed up in a non complaint condition...not a pre 1994 but had too many killy features...or maybe the work to be preformed wasnt kosher.

im kinda of rethinking my statment that noone needs a gunshmith for an AR.....the internets loaded with image of such hack jobs, i question if some people are competent enough to safetly own a potato cannon.

Last edited:
The only "assault weapon" gunsmithing service we cannot currently provide is building of new stripped lowers into a new firearm.

1b4fd36d5d85c19da7942b6daf6a69b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No he doesn't.

27 CFR § 478.124 Firearms transaction record.
(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

A 4473 isn't required for return to customer, but it would still be logged in/out of his A&D book.

Not sure why it matters if it passes through his A&D book. When is the AG's office going to be looking at his book?

Thanks for the clarification Mike.

I wonder what they would do if somebody encased an AR in clear plastic shrink wrap and started carrying it around.

I dunno if I would go that minimalist, but it would be funny as hell if someone made a rifle case out of clear plastic with a zipper around it and toted an AR15 around like that, and then see what kind of legal contortions the police came up with to arrest the person. Or if the responding LEO isn't a douche the conversation with said LEO would be pretty interesting. EG: "I see what you did there." [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom