No 4-H Shooting Sports Program in MA?!?

DMC2447

Navy Veteran
Checked out the national site to find a local program for air rifle / archery. Big red letters...

4-H SHOOTING PROGRAMS NOT OFFERRED IN MASSACHUSETTS

It is the ONLY state that doesn't have this program. Is this because of the laws here?

Regards,
Wayne

Last edited:
Checked out the national site to find a local program for air rifle / archery. Big red letters...

4-H SHOOTING PROGRAMS NOT OFFERRED IN MASSACHUSETTS

It is the ONLY state that doesn't have this program. Is this because of the laws here?

Regards,
Wayne
Im in 4-H and wanted to know the same thing. I found out it is because Of the moon bat ladies that are on some board that runs 4-H in the state. There is another board of people in 4-H that provide alot of funding for 4-H in MA and are mostly pro gun. They are trying to slowly convince the moon bats to let us have a shooting sports group. Who knows when or if it will ever happen.

Is this because of the laws here?

New here are ya ? [thinking]

The "gun laws" sub forum has over 72 thousand threads discussing the screwed up "laws" in Ma.

That's more than the total of all the threads in the seven other forums in the "Laws" section.

So, yes, its because of the laws in Ma.

Its also the leading cause of many NES members moving to free states.

I don't think it's really because of the laws, since there really aren't any laws restricting air rifles or bows. It's just the general anti-gun attitude, and from what Fordspd says, it may be just a couple of individuals.

I disagree that it's just a couple of individuals....it's the overall mindset. Shooting, whether "real" gun, air gun or even bow is quite alien to most in Mass, especially in the easternpart of the state.

My kids' participation is not secret at their schools....but stuff that they (especially the younger) do, such as wearing t-shirts that advertise shoots, shooting programs and clubs that he's attended would be "outlawed" in several local schools - one dad at my club said that a mere picture of a person holding a long gun would get his kid sent home. [rolleyes]

I have little knowledge of 4-H ( I don't even know what the Hs stand for!), but when mothers shield their kids' eyes and hustle past a table at a local summer evening concert, because it has a banner from my Club on it....it's a deep, ingrained mindset.

Best of luck. Perhaps some clubs local to you have the facilities or programs that your kid(s) can use....

Gotta be "purple", as that's another color!

[laugh]

First 60 seconds of my green card interview:

Hi. I am Officer Smith. We just want to chat with you for a bit. We don't want to give you one of these if you are crazy or something.

Okie dokie.

So what's your favorite color?

Purple! I saw that movie too you know.

*blink blink* *cue 5 min discussion of the movie*

I received a reply from one of the contacts in the MA Northeast Regional 4-H Offices. No rationale given. Just a plain response...

"Our state director will not allow shooting sport clubs. We do offer archery at many of our camps, but no clubs that focus on shooting sports. It is allowed for anyone to belong to any club in any state, so I can only suggest trying CT, VT, NH for clubs that may be close enough to wherever you live to join."

At my daughter's school, they do have an after-school archery program, but it is so popular that they had to turn her and other kids away due to under-staffing.

Maybe someday the state director will have a mindset change (or retire) and MA can finally have a 4-H Shooting Sport Club... but, I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

So with that said, I am now looking into help filling a Jr. Club vacancy at my locale gun club (Westford Sportsmens Club) to give the kids a chance.

Regards,
Wayne

Resurrecting an old thread cause I'm curious about this topic. It seems MA is still one of only two states that doesn't have a 4H shooting sports program.

http://www.4-hshootingsports.org/state_contacts.php
https://mass4h.org/

The last post in this thread stated it was due to the 4H state director not allowing it. Anyone know more about this?

This is something worth following up for someone who's got the patience and discretion to make it happen without having it blow up. Hearts and minds...

No offense to 4H, but plenty of local clubs offer junior programs! If you're kid is interested in shooting or archery, call the local clubs in your area. In addition, my club has worked with the girl scouts recently in getting them interested in archery activities.

No offense to 4H, but plenty of local clubs offer junior programs! If you're kid is interested in shooting or archery, call the local clubs in your area. In addition, my club has worked with the girl scouts recently in getting them interested in archery activities.

It's great that many local clubs offer junior programs, and that shotgun program from rep308's post looks awesome. I don't have any kids (yet), I'm curious about this more from the hearts and minds angle MetalgodZ referred to. If it's possible to get 4H to change, that would be a really nice win. First step is gathering more intel on why things are they way they are now.

Back
Top Bottom