• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NM cops proud of checking for unlocked car doors and leaving notes

I think it said that the cops locked the cars. Which is of course itself a problem for a couple of reasons.

We clearly have too many cops.
Yes. I have a buddy that leaves his keys in his 60k Chevy 3/4 ton. His attitude is that keys are useless if not with the car. YMMV. Cops lock his truck, he’s shit out of luck.

Took him out on the boat one day and he backed my truck down. Parks the truck and gets on boat. I’m say where are the keys? He says he left them in My truck. SMH. But then, this was down here in the south at a boat launch. Pretty low chance of having it stolen with a boat trailer attached to it.

My buddy’s attitude leaving his keys in the truck is that if someone needs it that bad, they’re welcome to it and he has insurance. I’m not sure insurance covers leaving you keys in the truck. I could be wrong.

I love the police violating the 4th Amendment to pre-crime warn someone about their own property.
What exactly is the 4A violation?

I’m not a fan of this either - I think grown up decisions merit grown up consequences - but this does seem well intentioned. I see nothing indicating they did more than lock unlocked doors with the intent of preventing personal property theft. I don’t want anyone touching my sh$t either, but I don’t think this approaches a 4A violation.

They tried this in CT. and MA.

CT. even wanted to take and lock up your belongings for your own good.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- Lock your doors or learn your lesson, that's the message from New Haven police.
Posted:
Nov 02, 2015 06:40 PM EST

Officers in East Rock are starting a pilot program.

"Cars will be checked for visible valuables," said New Haven City Spokesperson Laurence Grotheer.

If they see a valuable Grotheer says they'll take it if you car doors are unlocked. They'll leave a note and you can pick it up at the police station property room.

City Attorney calls off New Haven PD pilot program

NES THREAD:

Police Leave Warnings Inside Unlocked Cars On North Shore
BEVERLY (CBS) – Thieves are finding easy targets on the North Shore: Cars that aren’t locked with valuable items inside.

If your car door was unlocked, or an officer spotted your GPS, wallet, or something important in plain view, you might have found a warning on your windshield in Beverly this weekend.

Police were willing to stir-up a little proactive controversy to warn folks they were easy targets for some very busy thieves. Any car doors they found unlocked they opened up and locked themselves for the owner. They admit they did get some angry calls from drivers — who left their keys inside their unlocked cars.

Last edited:
Window open.
Oops, I must have forgotten my keys in the car.
Oops, my car is gone.
Collect from the insurance.

What the cops did was try to prevent 40 insurance jobs. I wonder if they also notified the insurance, so it's on record that the owner leaves his/her car unlocked.

I leave my truck unlocked so in case some junkie wants the less than nothing I keep inside it, they dont have to break my window and cost me far more than whatever is lost. Go F yourself with this campaign

I’m not a fan of this either - I think grown up decisions merit grown up consequences - but this does seem well intentioned. I see nothing indicating they did more than lock unlocked doors with the intent of preventing personal property theft. I don’t want anyone touching my sh$t either, but I don’t think this approaches a 4A violation.
According to a recent lower court finding it does. Check out the chalking tires case. If they can’t touch your tires with a piece of chalk, grabbing your door handle and opening it I’m thinking goes well beyond that.

They tried this in CT. and MA.

CT. even wanted to take and lock up your belongings for your own good.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- Lock your doors or learn your lesson, that's the message from New Haven police.
Posted:
Nov 02, 2015 06:40 PM EST

Officers in East Rock are starting a pilot program.

"Cars will be checked for visible valuables," said New Haven City Spokesperson Laurence Grotheer.

If they see a valuable Grotheer says they'll take it if you car doors are unlocked. They'll leave a note and you can pick it up at the police station property room.

City Attorney calls off New Haven PD pilot program

NES THREAD:

Police Leave Warnings Inside Unlocked Cars On North Shore
BEVERLY (CBS) – Thieves are finding easy targets on the North Shore: Cars that aren’t locked with valuable items inside.

If your car door was unlocked, or an officer spotted your GPS, wallet, or something important in plain view, you might have found a warning on your windshield in Beverly this weekend.

Police were willing to stir-up a little proactive controversy to warn folks they were easy targets for some very busy thieves. Any car doors they found unlocked they opened up and locked themselves for the owner. They admit they did get some angry calls from drivers — who left their keys inside their unlocked cars.
"For our own good"? Bullshit! Just an excuse for illegal search and seizure, along with criminal charges! My wife and I keep our SUV in our driveway when not in use. Anyone tries to steal it or open it on our property is a home invader and will be quickly shot dead. If Maura wants to prosecute us, great! Bring it on!

New Mexico must be the safest state in the union.
If they have the resources to have police prioritize crimes like this.
I was in Albuquerque last summer and there were signs all over the place about things being stolen out of cars and to lock your doors. The number of warning signs was remarkable Apparently, the drug problem there creates a huge theft issue.

This is no different than a cop walking up to your house, checking the door and walking in if its unlocked. They are intentionally touching and searching your property.

"For our own good"? Bullshit! Just an excuse for illegal search and seizure, along with criminal charges! My wife and I keep our SUV in our driveway when not in use. Anyone tries to steal it or open it on our property is a home invader and will be quickly shot dead. If Maura wants to prosecute us, great! Bring it on!
good luck with that. Unless you’re in Texas, then party on!

This is no different than a cop walking up to your house, checking the door and walking in if its unlocked. They are intentionally touching and searching your property.

My neighbor who happens to be a local officer did this exact thing when I first bought my house, it was a crap hole that we were remodeling. I was doing some electrical work in the basement and my wife had taken the car to her moms, I hear the door open and assume it’s my wife til I go up and bump into the fu***** guy looking through the cabinets I installed the day before!

He goes “oh, I didn’t think anyone was here since there wasn’t a car in the drive way, cabinets look nice” I didn’t yell but told him to get out and stay out, who the F*** do you think you are coming into someone’s house without permission for no reason other than snooping through their sh**? I haven’t spoken with him since and it’s been almost 8yrs.

Needless to say house is locked, cameras are on and all the vehicles in the driveway are locked.

Yeah, you are right. I am an Alabama man and Jill is a sweet southern gal from Louisiana. You Yankees are whipped by your liberal (mostly gay and lesbian) princes and queens. Forgot about that!

That's wonderful but it still doesn't change the fact that most states, legally don't allow you to use deadly force to protect property. Even Texas has a lot of constraints on their law. Now if you live in tinbuck 5 and can get away with shoot, shovel, etc, and have the sheriff on the dole great for you, but most don't have that luxury..

-Mike

My neighbor who happens to be a local officer did this exact thing when I first bought my house, it was a crap hole that we were remodeling. I was doing some electrical work in the basement and my wife had taken the car to her moms, I hear the door open and assume it’s my wife til I go up and bump into the fu***** guy looking through the cabinets I installed the day before!

He goes “oh, I didn’t think anyone was here since there wasn’t a car in the drive way, cabinets look nice” I didn’t yell but told him to get out and stay out, who the F*** do you think you are coming into someone’s house without permission for no reason other than snooping through their sh**? I haven’t spoken with him since and it’s been almost 8yrs.

Needless to say house is locked, cameras are on and all the vehicles in the driveway are locked.

That's wonderful but it still doesn't change the fact that most states, legally don't allow you to use deadly force to protect property. Even Texas has a lot of constraints on their law. Now if you live in tinbuck 5 and can get away with shoot, shovel, etc, and have the sheriff on the dole great for you, but most don't have that luxury..

-Mike
I spoke with our lawyer. Basically, you have to be within a hogs breath of being murdered by a bad guy in Massachusetts before you are legally entitled to use deadly force. I hunted hogs. Mean and nasty. Breath stinks. Tusks are deadly. I don't know what "Esquire" was thinking. Not a good comparison. Defend self and family first. At least survive to face the consequences.

Yeah, you are right. I am an Alabama man and Jill is a sweet southern gal from Louisiana. You Yankees are whipped by your liberal (mostly gay and lesbian) princes and queens. Forgot about that!
I hate to break it to you my rebel friend but if I’m interpreting Alabama law (self defense/use of deadly force) laws right(13a) you’re just as screwed there as here you kill someone trying to steal your car. Stand your ground isn’t gonna save you. Unless thier using forse against you to do so or if you’re asleep in it when they try it. Guess you guys got your share of fags down there too.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you my rebel friend but if I’m interpreting Alabama law (self defense/use of deadly force) laws right(13a) you’re just as screwed there as here you kill someone trying to steal your car. Stand your ground isn’t gonna save you. Unless thier using forse against you to do so or if you’re asleep in it when they try it. Guess you guys got your share of fags down there too.
The Baldwin County sheriff who issued my pistol license told me differently. You know more about Alabama law than an Alabama sheriff? OK. Whatever!

The Baldwin County sheriff who issued my pistol license told me differently. You know more about Alabama law than an Alabama sheriff? OK. Whatever!
Oh, some cop told you. Must be true. I just read Alabama criminal code 13a-3-30 start to finish if you can point to where it says you can use deadly force to protect property feel free I’ll send my apologies fourth with. Btw, I’ve already found an example of exactly what you’re talking about taking place in 2017. Homeowner IS being charged. So Your sheriff apparently doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Last edited:
Oh, some cop told you. Must be true. I just read Alabama criminal code 13a-3-30 start to finish if you can point to where it says you can use deadly force to protect property feel free I’ll send my apologies fourth with. Btw, I’ve already found an example of exactly what you’re talking about taking place in 2017. Homeowner IS being charged. So Your sheriff apparently doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
Huey "Hoss" Mack is a fine gentleman and well-respected sheriff. Unlike the castrated sheriff departments in MA, these guys wield big power. They do city and highway patrols that MA cops can only dream about. They issue unrestricted carry pistol permits. We use them for safety. I don't know how many of you Maura whipped Yankees pussies ever came face to face with a highly venomous cottonmouth or a 14 foot gator that could kill you in an instant. Yup, in MA just call 911 and scream like a sheep for help. Most Alabama swamps and bayous are out of cell range so your remains will likely never be found.

Can you point to where it is specifically prohibited?

Laws DON'T ALLOW THINGS OR ACTIONS, THEY PROHIBIT THINGS OR ACTIONS OR REQUIRE ACTIONS.

Anything that is not specifically prohibited by law is legal to do, possess, or otherwise part take in.

I wonder if there’s a formula or something to describe how long an NES thread can go on before devolving into a state of residence measuring contest?

Huey "Hoss" Mack is a fine gentleman and well-respected sheriff. Unlike the castrated sheriff departments in MA, these guys wield big power. They do city and highway patrols that MA cops can only dream about. They issue unrestricted carry pistol permits. We use them for safety. I don't know how many of you Maura whipped Yankees pussies ever came face to face with a highly venomous cottonmouth or a 14 foot gator that could kill you in an instant. Yup, in MA just call 911 and scream like a sheep for help. Most Alabama swamps and bayous are out of cell range so your remains will likely never be found.
Interesting story bro. I’ll assume by the name calling and zero references to the topic at hand we’re done debating the law. Oh and next time this yankee pussy is cowardly hunting grizzlies or mountain lions I’ll ponder on the frightening snakes and lizards that keep you brave southerners up at night. Oh and the MA state police aren’t exactly blown away by your sheriffs amazing ability to patrol city’s, towns and highways, they do it statewide.

Last edited:
Can you point to where it is specifically prohibited?

Laws DON'T ALLOW THINGS OR ACTIONS, THEY PROHIBIT THINGS OR ACTIONS OR REQUIRE ACTIONS.

Anything that is not specifically prohibited by law is legal to do, possess, or otherwise part take in.
The laws clear.

Interesting story bro. I’ll assume by the name calling and zero references to the topic at hand we’re done debating the law. Oh and next time this yankee pussy is cowardly hunting grizzlies or mountain lions I’ll ponder on the frightening snakes and lizards that keep you brave southerners up at night. Oh and the MA state police aren’t exactly blown away by your sheriffs amazing ability to patrol city’s, towns and highways, they do it statewide.

They do it statewide with a force of 2700 troopers and assistance from the multitude of municiple police departments that cover those same 10,565 square miles.

My county is 677 square miles covered by about 10 deputies maximum at any one time, usually its 3-6 depending on various activities or weather conditions.

There are only a couple of municiple police departments within the county and they only field between one and three cars per shift.
I very rarely see a Kentucky State Trooper anywhere around the area.

Massachusetts State Police aren't by far performing any feat of magic patrolling their turf given their manpower numbers vs. their coverage area.

They do it statewide with a force of 2700 troopers and assistance from the multitude of municiple police departments that cover those same 10,565 square miles.

My county is 677 square miles covered by about 10 deputies maximum at any one time, usually its 3-6 depending on various activities or weather conditions.

There are only a couple of municiple police departments within the county and they only field between one and three cars per shift.
I very rarely see a Kentucky State Trooper anywhere around the area.

Massachusetts State Police aren't by far performing any feat of magic patrolling their turf given their manpower numbers vs. their coverage area.
Ok.

Back
Top Bottom