Night vision scope magnification and small critters.

edin508

NES Member
Looking to jump into the NV world with an ATN scope. I have never used a NV scope and I am debating the magnification levels before I spend the cash. Most of my shooting will be inside of 100 yard, coyotes. But thinking some may be as close as 20 yards for tiny flying squirrels using a PCP air rifle. Now the 3-15 seems to be the ideal choice, but a 5-25 is the other option available, is there any advantage to using what I would think to be an overpowered scope for NV? My thoughts are even at minimum, the 5 power will be too much at close range even for small critters but how true is that with NV? It's not really a true scope, it's a camera on one end with an OLED screen that you are looking at on the other. Probably overthinking this, but the cost between the two is minimal so it got me thinking. I am one of those people who prefer more magnification vs less but when is it too much?

Field of view will seem even worse in the dark. Agree 3-15 is more than sufficient for your intended use.

My rat getter. Sightmark photon with 4.6 x 42 and it’s all I need out to 50 yds. Extra illuminator attached

8246F041-F5BC-443A-B7CE-062CAB50ECED.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom