Night Striper Fishing

Im going to be doing some night time surf casting Striper fishing this weekend in Buzzards Bay. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should use for bait? I was going to pick up some clams, unless anyone thinks I should get something else let me know.

I hear live eels are the way to go, I just dont know of any baitshops in the fall river area, im not from around there! I need to do some research!

We had better luck with chunks of mackerel. But I have heard of a lot of people doing well with eels. If you go eels, make sure you bring a few shop rags. Easier to hold onto them with those. We used I think #3 hook right through the beak.

Eels at night. Put them on ice to get them to "sleep", grab them with a rag, they're slippery. Hook em. Once they hit the water they'll perk right up.

Eels at night. Put them on ice to get them to "sleep", grab them with a rag, they're slippery. Hook em. Once they hit the water they'll perk right up.
. This and use a scotchbrite pad. Eels fished sloooooowly are the way to go at night during the fall

I use a Scotch Brite Pad - MUCH better grip IMHO. ICE them down so they are lethargic, don't kill them though. Under the jaw thru and an eye socket (sorry if this grosses people out, but they stay on better this way).

I like larger hooks - less change of gut hooking them: 5/0 black Gamakatsu Octopus for me. LARGER the eel the better. :D I cast them w/ no weight and fish them like a rubber worm ...... SLOOOOoooooooooooooow retrieve. Let fish take it a few seconds before you drive hook home.

Some guys swear by the circle hooks - you let the fish take it and just hold the rod .... fish hooks itself.

If the eel is dead you can keep casting it and retrieving it like a lure. Fish doesn't seem to care when they are feeding! Why waste it. Some guys will use eel skins tied on jigs, too.(tied a head of time & stored on salt in the freezer)

If you need to be in fallriver area the bait shop under the bridge in tiverton ri (next town over) always has them can't think of the name off hand..

Back
Top Bottom