"Night Stand" Pistol locations/Storage question

After a little thought since my initial response, I decided to take my trigger lock and just leave it in the nightstand drawer. As far as the shotgun theory for the bedroom goes, I KNOW I can shoot the handgun lying on my back, but I'm thinking the 12 gauge might be a tad awkward...

After a little thought since my initial response, I decided to take my trigger lock and just leave it in the nightstand drawer. As far as the shotgun theory for the bedroom goes, I KNOW I can shoot the handgun lying on my back, but I'm thinking the 12 gauge might be a tad awkward...

When I first got my LTC-A, I was nervous about doing everything I could to make sure it didn't get taken away. Sound familiar MA guys?

Anyways I had a good compact flashlight, extra mag, cell phone, and my handgun with the key in the trigger lock. I reasoned that the lock was still "locked" though the key was IN the lock. This is not my concern anymore, nor has been for a while.

This is what MA does to otherwise logical people. However, that is why I just signed a lease on a place in Nashua.

All I do is keep the trigger lock one number off (combo lock) in my night stand. It's ready to go, and if I am home or not, storage laws are covered.

All I do is keep the trigger lock one number off (combo lock) in my night stand. It's ready to go, and if I am home or not, storage laws are covered.

This brings up an amusing point. I think most people with combo locks do that. I know that at the range I go to, most of the time if the gate is "locked" it's just one number off.
You gotta figure (if you were actually trying to deter theft, which I know in this case you're not) the bad guys probably know that trick. [laugh]

This. I just keep a small gun in my pocket when I am sleeping. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is under my direct control so no laws are violated. A wall mounted shotgun rack next to the bed is nice also.

Just wondering, what if you have a lady friend spend the night and you don't end up sleeping in shorts?

Microvault works fine for me, My everyday gun (638) goes from my vest to my Vault at the end of the day. Hell you dont have to have a fancy combo, unless you have kids..

just leave my ccw (lcr) in the holster sandwiched between the bed frame and matress. in the morning it comes with me. and easy access. but no kids in my house either

When I'm in MA, whatever "home defense" gun is used for the night is kept right on the floor beside my bed. Something small will be placed beside or over it, open book, small pillow, etc. Right next to the pistol is a trigger lock that is NEVER used under any circumstances. If I'm ever confronted about storage after (God forbid) I had to use the firearm, I will point to the trigger lock and say nothing else.

. . . and the prosecution will point to your post here and you'll have an all-expense paid vacation in the gray-bar hotel!

It's not that I disagree with your reasoning, just that broadcasting to the world what you do can and will be used against you in a court of law! [thinking]

Why do you think they always confiscate all computers even if no computer was used in a crime? They go on a witch-hunt for any evidence that can be used against you . . . and will most often find it.

. . . and the prosecution will point to your post here and you'll have an all-expense paid vacation in the gray-bar hotel!

It's not that I disagree with your reasoning, just that broadcasting to the world what you do can and will be used against you in a court of law! [thinking]

Why do you think they always confiscate all computers even if no computer was used in a crime? They go on a witch-hunt for any evidence that can be used against you . . . and will most often find it.

And people laugh at me and call me paranoid for using encryption.

This. I get the OP's question, I even am curious myself as to what other people do, but given the laws here in MA, I would say: make a decision, then keep your mouth shut.

Since you didn't mention children...

Leave it out on the table, next to a quality flashlight your bedside table. Put a fully charged, cell phone on your wife's side and leave the phone on with the ringer off.
I'm presuming you have an alarm system and if you don't, you should.

When I said that's what I did (when I lived in Ma.) it threw the sheeple here into a hissy fit. Martha's minions are NOT going around doing 3:00AM "safe storage" checks executed by SWAT teams with no knock warrants.[rolleyes][laugh]

Your pistol will not jump up in the middle of the night and kill everyone in the room, the world will not end and IF something really does go bump in the night you'll have one less thing to worry about.

You have a choice comply with the letter of the law or choose to survive a home invasion.

THIS ^^^^^^

As far as the choice between a pistol or shotgun for home defense goes it really depends on the user and the environment. If you are in very close quarters with narrow and short hallways you may prefer a pistol over a shotgun for maneuverability reasons.

And, as stated, you MUST aim a shotgun. The range at which you no longer need to aim is the point at which the shotgun is ineffective anyway.

I have received a trigger lock today that I believe will pass your Mass locked laws while allowing quick access. It has Three different stages of locks. You can lock it and unless you know the proper way to remove the lock you will have a difficult time with it. It can be opened in seconds with no key, or you can lock it so you need a key, or you can add the included cable to it. I was reading the instructions and it took me a minute to figure out.
I got mine free from the CMP when I bought a rifle from them.

Here is the link.
Pro-lok

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, since I dont live in Mass. But is it illegal to leave guns around the house without being locked up?

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, since I dont live in Mass. But is it illegal to leave guns around the house without being locked up?

In MA, yes...

MGL 140-131L said:
(a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

Yup. Pretty retarded right huh?

Yes it is, I have never heard that before today. So I guess if someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, you have to hope that you can openn the safe in time to defend your family.

Back
Top Bottom