• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NHM-91 "National Match"

NHM-91 rifles are Chinese, semi-auto versions of the Russian RPK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPK) and have 20-inch heavy barrels and thicker stamped receivers compared with most AKM variants. This one was made by Norinco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco). You see these rifles advertised on Gunbroker.com with marketing adjectives like "National Match" but I think this is just a made-up term that simply refers to the much greater accuracy of these rifles than 16-inch AKM variants with lighter barrels.

NHM-91A.jpg

This rifle was in very good shape when I got it but, as usual, I couldn't resist custom-fitting the pistol grip and refinishing the furniture. It came with the pre-ban, 75-round drum mag shown (a steal of a deal) and the pinned muzzle brake.

NHM-91businessend.jpg

For fun at the range, I save all of our 1-gallon and 1-quart plastic milk jugs, spray paint one side flourescent orange and fill them with water. I had no problem taking out these targets at 100 yards using the iron sights. Great fun!

Last edited:
NHM-91s are not "National Match" rifles and it wasn't a marketing ploy. Norincos marked "National Match" are the MAK 91s which have milled receivers, 18 inch barrels that are thicker than the barrels on the NHM-91s, different bipods, and possibly more refined fire control groups. The MAK 91 receivers always have 3 vertical Chinese characters on the rear right which translates to "precision degree rifle". The NHM-91 does not have these characters nor this designation. The true history of a MAK 91 is that of a Poly Tech Legend National Match; but instead with slant cut receiver, shorter barrel, thumb hole stock, and Norinco stamp instead of Poly Tech. Based on my own research, the MAK 91 should be the superior version of all of the Norinco models. Of course there is the ongoing debate regarding extra weight of milled receivers compared with stamped receivers, but as far as workmanship, the MAK 91 should be the top of the Norinco pile. It is notable that milled MAK 90/MAK 91s typically have a better fit and finish than stamped MAK 90s/NHM 90s/NHM 91s, particularly in regards to the fitting of the hand guards.

Gun ragrets list.... somewhere in my top 20: not buying an NHM-91 when they were cheap, throwing the original furniture in the trash and putting on some furniture from ironwood designs. I think the guy that ran that place died or something. :(

Its actually a good post, theyre fun rifles
I actually think that all of the Chinese AKs are underrated even though they are now seen as quality rifles. I don't think I've ever had a failure to feed on any of the ones I've owned. I once bought a MAK 90 in Georgia from a "professional collector" who told me that he could tell novices from Chinese AK experts by whether or not a person asked about the round count (after I had just asked about round count on the one I was buying, LOL). He informed me that you couldn't burn out the barrels on a Chinese AK and that they would virtually run forever or until the rivets on the stamped models came apart (which would be tens of thousands of rounds).

Gun ragrets list.... somewhere in my top 20: not buying an NHM-91 when they were cheap, throwing the original furniture in the trash and putting on some furniture from ironwood designs. I think the guy that ran that place died or something. :(
I missed the boat on the Ironwwood stocks too. I wish I'd bought a pile of those stocks and did exactly as you described

I actually think that all of the Chinese AKs are underrated even though they are now seen as quality rifles. I don't think I've ever had a failure to feed on any of the ones I've owned. I once bought a MAK 90 in Georgia from a "professional collector" who told me that he could tell novices from Chinese AK experts by whether or not a person asked about the round count (after I had just asked about round count on the one I was buying, LOL). He informed me that you couldn't burn out the barrels on a Chinese AK and that they would virtually run forever or until the rivets on the stamped models came apart (which would be tens of thousands of rounds).
Ive owned a few and after over 15,000 rounds through all of them I never had a single failure.

Back
Top Bottom