NH Union Leader supports Empty Holster protest

I particularly loved this reply. So enlightened:

I love when people talk about guns like Cold War-era pols talked about "Mutual Assured Destruction." If more people carried concealed weapons, violent crime would be significantly deterred?! Laughable. On that theory, wouldn't the ghettos of our nation's large cities be the safest places around?
But hey gun-lovers -- don those "judicial activism" googles and read the second amendment as broadly as the NRA -- and let's see how the next post-hockey team victory riot goes at UNH once we hand guns to those ridiculously drunk frat boys. Yeehaw!
I think gun-rights supporters should make an effort to understand that some people view guns (and perhaps holsters by extension) as tools of violence, not protection. This sociology prof wasn't necessarily a liberal devil for not wanting that symbol in her classroom. After rational reflection, she let it go - but her first instinctive reaction isn't that nuts.
- Tom J., Manchester

I think the statement, No matter how much you argue with logical reasons you will never persued left wingers to see lawful carry as a good thing.... hits it right on the head....

Last edited:
I think the statement, No matter how much you argue with logical reasons you will never persued left wingers to see lawful carry as a good thing.... hits it right on the head....

You could always beat them an inch away from their life and tell them it all could have been prevented with a sidearm. [grin]

He, without seeking permission, should have worn the holster to class, and let the chips fall where they might. In that case, adverse reaction by any elements of the staff of UNH would have been evidence of censorship of his Free Speech Right.

For such an action, seeking a priori permission is to admit that there is only a Free Speech Privilege.
- Lawrence C Farrell Jr, Summit, NJ

totally agree.

He, without seeking permission, should have worn the holster to class, and let the chips fall where they might. In that case, adverse reaction by any elements of the staff of UNH would have been evidence of censorship of his Free Speech Right.

For such an action, seeking a priori permission is to admit that there is only a Free Speech Privilege.
- Lawrence C Farrell Jr, Summit, NJ .

I haven't heard or seen the term a priori since reading Kant in college.

Dean, who described himself as a lifelong gun user and a member of the National Rifle Association, said students with guns could create confusion in a school shooting situation because officers are trained to quickly find and take down shooters.

"If I enter a classroom and there are two people with a gun, who do you think is going to die," he asked. "Both people."

is it me or does UNH Deputy Police Chief Paul Dean seam a little dangerous.
"UNH Deputy Police Chief Paul Dean disagrees, saying that guns belong only in the hands of law enforcement."

Back
Top Bottom