NH Resident Carry Permit...References Question...

When I moved to New Hampshire, I didn't know that many people to act as references, so if I recall correctly, I used Mass. residents. Added to that, I don't think any of the references were contacted either....

When I moved to New Hampshire, I didn't know that many people to act as references, so if I recall correctly, I used Mass. residents. Added to that, I don't think any of the references were contacted either....

Thanks! I'm new as well and don't know enough folks.

Do the references have to be residents of the state of NH, or just 3 references?

In addition to the name & address, also give them a phone number.
All of mine were not NH residents and neither were my lady's.
As far as I know they only contacted one for each of us, my neighbor across the street (for me) and my brother-in-law in MA (for her).
14 days on the button from application to delivery.

I used 3 names from CT and only 1 phone number (which was a wrong number). No addresses.

I didnt have my address book on me and I just wanted to fill the thing out and be done with it.

I think a couple of the names were spelled wrong.

Nobody was contacted and I got my permit within the week.

Before moving to NH I did have a non-resident permit. When getting the non-resident permit I did cross every T and dot every I though.

I used people who were stationed over seas with international phone numbers. For some reason none of them received a phone call....

I used both NH and NY residents, I happen to live in a town that actually calls all the references. I wasn't exactly happy with the questions they asked but I still got it within a week.

I used both NH and NY residents, I happen to live in a town that actually calls all the references. I wasn't exactly happy with the questions they asked but I still got it within a week.

I don't understand why they would contact references in NH. We are a 'shall issue" state. If your record is clean you will be approved.

I don't understand why they would contact references in NH. We are a 'shall issue" state. If your record is clean you will be approved.

Oh, I don't mind listing references; just wasn't sure if they had to be NH residents. The answer I've discovered is: No, they can be anyone.

I also think contacting references is a good idea. Lets be honest, if you list a "reference" who then says you're a crazy POS (within 14 days of when you listed them) you're probably too stupid to be carrying...

A buddy of mine moved from Mass to Effingham NH a few years ago. He applied for his CCW and used me (a Mass resident) as one of his referrences. I was contacted in writing by his local Chief and was asked to reply in writing. The questions were not very intrusive and I answered them truthfully. He then got his permit without much fuss.
When I applied to NH for my non-resident permit, I listed three referrences, One from NH and two from Mass. None of them were contacted. I got mine in 7 weeks.

I got my NH Resident CCW a few days after submitting the application. None of my references were called. Painless and inexpensive.

I got my NH resident the same day. None of my references were contacted. The COP in my town is smart enough to realize than no one is going to give a reference that isn't good.

I used two Massachusetts references (gun owner, one non-owner), and one New Hampshire resident with a pistol license.

None were contacted, AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom