NH police comment on NH constitutional carry

Snowmobile CCing, CCing on school grounds, etc. and reciprocity.

I've been telling people this is OK in NH; even saw a lawyer (in MA I think) type up a letter saying it was illegal to carry in a school. I know a cop that gets permission from another towns COP every time he goes to another towns school weekly.

It's in the FGSZA!

It took 3 years after State of NH v. Dor: for NHSP to fix their website to reflect the "Loaded means loaded" ruling, so maybe by 2021 they'll update the website for constitutional carry?

I've been telling people this is OK in NH; even saw a lawyer (in MA I think) type up a letter saying it was illegal to carry in a school. I know a cop that gets permission from another towns COP every time he goes to another towns school weekly.

It's in the FGSZA!

Federally, anyone with a license/permit issued by the police official in the jurisdiction can carry (open or concealed) at a school. On the state level, MA has laws preventing that, NH doesn't. For the lawyer it depends on which state he was referring to. If he was NH, he needs to do better research. If it was MA, he is correct (on the carry portion).

As for the cop, in MA, he's covered by law, and but the CoP cannot grant him the authorization to carry on school grounds. That's done by the superintendent, dean, highest ranking person of the school district/college/etc/etc

For the arrestee: spending the night in jail and having to hire a lawyer and spend thousands to defend him/herself, then perhaps a civil lawsuit for false arrest against the PD.

For the police: absolutely nothing. SCOTUS has ruled that cops don't have to know the law. But YOU, the law abiding citizen, better know it.

If it happens to anyone here, hire Seth Hipple. He's great getting police departments to pay up when they abuse people's rights.

I heard from Representative Hoell on this issue. He said that the legislative staff never update the site until the "slow" months which means summer/fall. He was able to get the House Clerk to update the disclaimer on this page.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/indexes/default.html#DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER

THE MATERIAL AVAILABLE ON THIS WEBSITE, WHILE BELIEVED TO BE ACCURATE, IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. PLEASE REFER TO THE INFORMATION PROVIDED AT THE TOP TO DETERMINE WHEN THE SITE WAS LAST UPDATED. NEITHER THE OFFICE OF LEGISLATIVE SERVICES (OLS) NOR WEST PUBLISHING, THE OFFICIAL PUBLISHER OF THE STATE STATUTES, MONITORS THE CONTENT OF THIS SITE. NOR DOES OLS OR WEST MONITOR OR PREPARE THE LIST OF SECTIONS AFFECTED (LSA) OR THE INDEX FOR THIS SITE. FOR THE OFFICIAL VERSION OF ANY STATUTE, PLEASE CONSULT THE BOUND VOLUMES AND SUPPLEMENTS OF THE NEW HAMPSHIRE REVISED STATUTES ANNOTATED, PUBLISHED BY WEST, A THOMSON BUSINESS.

You would think that some kind of bulletin would get sent out to all NH LE agencies from NH DPS.

-Mike

You would think that some kind of bulletin would get sent out to all NH LE agencies from NH DPS.

-Mike

While talking about LEO knowledge regarding current laws, the Rindge PD Chief volunteered that there has been no notification of any sort from Concord or the State Police regarding SB12 and the changes in RSA 159:6. That would be one week shy of three months, thus far.

Ty and Elise from AWS also spoke (at the meeting) about the process and paperwork required when purchasing or transferring a firearm.

While talking about LEO knowledge regarding current laws, the Rindge PD Chief volunteered that there has been no notification of any sort from Concord or the State Police regarding SB12 and the changes in RSA 159:6. That would be one week shy of three months, thus far.

Shouldn't it be NH-PSTC that provides legal updates? All officers are required to undergo 8 hours of continuing education every year (but the topic is at the discretion of the agency).

Or is ignorance of the law an excuse?

Sadly I'm not surprised. There are some things that are "institutional" in LE regardless of state/agency. They train LEOs in areas that they want to and ignore topics that they don't agree with.

So with this lack of ignorance or misunderstanding by various NH police officers / departments what is going to happen if one ventures over the state line from Ma while carrying and is stopped by the PoPo?
****ing nothing at all

Back
Top Bottom