• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH nonresident, but NH property owner . . .

gws1063

NES Member
So, there I was in a NH shop (which shall remain nameless) the other day and I saw an informational sign which said something like this: "If you can demonstrate property ownership in NH, we can sell you things which you may not acquire in MA." I am, of course, paraphrasing.

Now, I may have read the sign wrong, but it certainly got me thinking about what can and cannot be done. Hypothetically, I purchase property in NH, but maintain my principal residence in MA. I cannot purchase a handgun from a NH dealer and take posession in NH since my legal residence is still MA.

However, I can purchase any long gun from a NH dealer (but not from a vanilla NH resident in a private sale). The only problem would be in bringing it back into MA. If I have property in NH and leave the longarm there, I'm golden. If I ever wanted to subsequently sell it, it would have to go to or through a NH FFL.

So, how does all this sound if I ever feel a need for a high capacity rifle with a bayonet lug, pistol grip, and flash hider? [smile]

Please critique and add other variants. This is all hypothetical, after all.

-Gary

That is correct, you may purchase the rifle in another state as long as you don't bring it back.

Painting with a mighty broad brush, are we?

The OP also has lots of mis-information, or perhaps it's just worded poorly?

You can buy all the mags and ammo that you can carry or pay for in NH. Nobody will care what's legal in MA or not. You can do this as a visitor . . . even from another planet! [smile]

As for long guns, you can buy whatever you like that is legal to possess in MA, do the 4473, NICS and take it home. BTDT . . . I bought a Romanian SAR-1 (AK-47 look-alike) high cap rifle in NH a number of years ago. Just do an FA-10 when you bring it back across the "iron curtain".

If you own property up there and want to leave the gun there, sure you can buy long guns that do NOT meet the MA AWB. You can leave your brand new high cap mags there for use in Free America too.

Of course, if you walk into a shop in the "REAL USA" and spout off "I'm from MA and I want to buy new hi-caps", I couldn't blame a dealer for refusing to sell to you. But if you keep your mouth shut, just ask for a product (they aren't "controlled substances" up there), you'll get what you ask for. [NOTE: None of this is intended to insult anyone, just provided as info on the "real world" solution to a non-problem.]

Painting with a mighty broad brush, are we?
A broad brush, perhaps, but in what way is this incorrect?

The OP also has lots of mis-information, or perhaps it's just worded poorly?

Actually, Len, I think I worded it fairly well. Provocatively, perhaps, but well.

As for the "mis-information", please enlighten us all. What is incorrect about what I stated, and what would you correct? I asked for a critique, not unsubstantiated contradiction. Isn't this a discussion forum and not the "Argument Clinic"? [grin]

You can buy all the mags and ammo that you can carry or pay for in NH. Nobody will care what's legal in MA or not. You can do this as a visitor . . . even from another planet! [smile]
As for long guns, you can buy whatever you like that is legal to possess in MA, do the 4473, NICS and take it home. BTDT . . . I bought a Romanian SAR-1 (AK-47 look-alike) high cap rifle in NH a number of years ago. Just do an FA-10 when you bring it back across the "iron curtain".
No dispute there . . .

If you own property up there and want to leave the gun there, sure you can buy long guns that do NOT meet the MA AWB. You can leave your brand new high cap mags there for use in Free America too.
Then I see we are in agreement!

Of course, if you walk into a shop in the "REAL USA" and spout off "I'm from MA and I want to buy new hi-caps", I couldn't blame a dealer for refusing to sell to you. But if you keep your mouth shut, just ask for a product (they aren't "controlled substances" up there), you'll get what you ask for. [NOTE: None of this is intended to insult anyone, just provided as info on the "real world" solution to a non-problem.]
And that is all I was hoping to do, once folks confirmed my understanding of that helpful sign.

If what I thought I understood was correct, most folks might disqualify a purchase based on the assumption that what you wanted was intended for import into MA. The point, however, is what is prohibited based on import into MA, vs. what is NOT prohibited if it is not imported. I didn't go to NH, declare "I'm from MA" etc., and insist on being sold something. I noticed a "helpful hint" from a NH dealer and I'm merely trying to confirm the validity of the sign.

Please understand, Len, I'm not trying to be hostile, and I certainly mean no disrespect. I'm merely trying to elicit a discussion of the finer points of commerce in controlled products. It just occurred to me that one could probably go to NH or VT, purchase whatever they wanted, use it (in that state), and then destroy it. No laws would be broken. I'm trying to distinguish legal purchase from illegal importation into MA (assuming my understanding is correct).

-Gary

I wasn't trying to attack what you stated, just that both you and vellnueve may have unintentionally painted the scene a little too broadly . . . or written it in a way that I mis-interpreted what you were trying to say.

However, I can purchase any long gun from a NH dealer (but not from a vanilla NH resident in a private sale). The only problem would be in bringing it back into MA. If I have property in NH and leave the longarm there, I'm golden. If I ever wanted to subsequently sell it, it would have to go to or through a NH FFL.

OK:

- Yes, you could purchase ANY long gun up there and leave it in NH property.

- You CAN bring long guns back to MA, they just need to not be in violation of the MA AWB.

- If you want to dispose of a long gun owned in NH, yes you'd have to sell it to an FFL (in ANY state). You're not restricted to NH FFLs.

- Yes, you can't sell it to a NH citizen, only FFLs.

- If you stay at your NH property for 3 or more (number is not cast in concrete) months of the year, YES, you could buy a handgun from a NH FFL. BATFE says this is OK and no NH law contradicts this. Many dealers may refuse the sale, but it would be legal.

An Advanced Search of the Gun Laws forum will provide chapter and verse of the Fed Law and BATFE Q&A on this.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom