NH Current Use Recreation Land - List or Map?

Yeah.....I wasn't sure but I thought that was the case for rivers. You can float it, but you cant wade it.
You are correct. I know that this sounds petty, But an argument could be made that if you drop anchor or make fast to the bottom you could be considered as being on the land owners property.

Here's one for you: A muskrat trapper from Minnesota was telling me once that while he was trapping out of a boat, an abutting landowner called the game warden and complained that he was trespassing on his land. Warden shows up and tells said trapper that he cannot be staking traps to the bottom because while he's ok while he's in the boat, staking to the bottom is trespassing and he has to stop. Trapper says OK and leaves. Said muskrat trapper returns when the water is frozen and cuts through the ice and sets his traps underneath. He runs his trap wire to a stake laid on the ice, hole freezes shut. Landowner again calls warden who investigates and tells the landowner that the trapper is legal because he's not on his property because he's on the (now frozen) water and is not on his property. Landowner decides that he still doesn't want the trapper there and makes the mistake of walking out on the ice and harassing him.

Long story short- The landowner was fined $250 for harassment of the trapper.

This is the stance in MA as well as I've been told by most game wardens. "Legally posted" gets you a ticket. Half ass posted gets you a warning. No posting gets you a legal way out....as the law says.

Not so most other states....they don't post their land. They don't have to, there is no "law" about it like there is in NE states. If you are tresspassing on any land you get a ticket or arrest.

In Maine it’s all yours if not posted which to me makes sense especially in remote areas I hunt where it’s almost impossible to find the landowner even with OnxHunt apps. Now I have a few hundred acres and I post but just ask people to call me first, I’ve never said no over the phone but I only have a week of vacation time so I want it for myself. Even when I’ve run into people whe. I’m there hiking or tending to stands and traps, if they are decent people I’m cool. If they are douchebags ( only about 5%) I tell them to leave. Even when stands are put up I leave a note if they are not marked to call me, I only leave a note once and if during deer season they don’t get back to me, I inherit a stand. It’s all good

In Maine it’s all yours if not posted which to me makes sense especially in remote areas I hunt where it’s almost impossible to find the landowner even with OnxHunt apps. Now I have a few hundred acres and I post but just ask people to call me first, I’ve never said no over the phone but I only have a week of vacation time so I want it for myself. Even when I’ve run into people whe. I’m there hiking or tending to stands and traps, if they are decent people I’m cool. If they are douchebags ( only about 5%) I tell them to leave. Even when stands are put up I leave a note if they are not marked to call me, I only leave a note once and if during deer season they don’t get back to me, I inherit a stand. It’s all good

In most cases, I think that's what most landowners want...just to call them first or let them know. Like you, you kinda want the spot to yourself for a week. I get that..you pay the freight...WTF.

I also understand the case in VERY remote areas, its essentially very hard to find a landowner if boundaries are not marked or posted somehow. Walking thru or hunting thru...pretty much understand that and if not posted, thats the law in New England anyway.

Setting a stand...no...if your not asking the landowner...the landowner deserves to help himself to your stuff, that would be relatively disrespectful to place something on someones land and leave it there without their permission.

In most cases, I think that's what most landowners want...just to call them first or let them know. Like you, you kinda want the spot to yourself for a week. I get that..you pay the freight...WTF.

I also understand the case in VERY remote areas, its essentially very hard to find a landowner if boundaries are not marked or posted somehow. Walking thru or hunting thru...pretty much understand that and if not posted, thats the law in New England anyway.

Setting a stand...no...if your not asking the landowner...the landowner deserves to help himself to your stuff, that would be relatively disrespectful to place something on someones land and leave it there without their permission.
Stands are a tough one. I understand in some cases people are aware of boundaries and or have hunted there before. I have a box of laminated name and phone tags I use to attach telling them to call me. In fact if people labels their stands as you are supposed when not on your land I’d be cool and have a call with them. However I have had the case where a few dickheads came in on atva which I do not allow and shot deer and I catught them on the way out. That shit pisses me off. Otherwise I share with anyone I can and don’t ask them tonchip in for the feeders and food plots I have either

Back
Top Bottom