NH-Centric NFA FAQ?

I've searched and there are a few threads for NH folks. Can anybody point me to a thread with NFA for NH folks? It seems rather scattered.

I need info from soup to nuts.

There's really not much to say that is New Hampshire specific -- NH has very little law (Hunting restrictions from F&G) and no local regulations (due to preemption).

I have heard anecdotes of NH chiefs of police who will not sign off on NFA paperwork, I don't believe anybody has tried to go to their county Sheriff for CLEO signoff?

Last edited:
Right, I know it's just following fed law, but I wasn't sure if somebody could point me to a process map or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this: http://www.silencershop.com/support/how-to-buy-a-silencer

NH = find an Item you want, talk to the Shop ( Manchester Firing Line/Shooters Outpost or Riley's come to mind ) they will be able to advise if your Local Chief is NFA friendly, If not you can always go the Trust route ( if you set up a Trust, under the coperate regs no local chief signature is required.) Once the proper paperwork is complete it is sent to the ATFE for processing ( from what I hear 6+ months is about the minium wait at the moment.) When the paperwork is returned to the dealer you can pick up your item. Spend the wait stocking up on Ammo ( if you can find any ) Ha Ha Ha.. As far as what you can and can't own from what I know is only limited in NH to the size of your bank account.

Last edited:
I've searched and there are a few threads for NH folks. Can anybody point me to a thread with NFA for NH folks? It seems rather scattered.

I need info from soup to nuts.

Why? There isn't anything. Fill out form. Bring to PD. Get signed. Done. If you want to modularize ownership, get a trust. Done.

Most of the freeer NFA states are all this way. There really aren't any caveats specific to NH because everything is allowed in NH.

-Mike

Time to create a NH-centric FAQ. Any volunteers?

I agree, it'd be helpful to have an NH-centric FAQ, even if it ends up being very brief.
[mg]
If you're doing an individual purchase (as opposed to a trust or corporation), select a good Class-3/SOT dealer and they will walk you through the process. I recommend AWS, Acme, or Umlaut; you have other big gun shops nearby, these guys are much more patient and helpful. Speaking of patience, expect to wait about 180 days, per nfatracker.

I strongly recommend talking to folk at the upcoming member shoot in a few weeks; AWS has a table at these events.

Last edited:
I think the guy at Chester Arms is a Class 3 SOT.

I guess I'm leaning towards the trust route Mike for privacy reasons. I guess I could go individual if the cost to create a trust through somebody like Evan Nappen costs way too much.

There's really not much to say that is New Hampshire specific -- NH has very little law (Hunting restrictions from F&G) and no local regulations (due to preemption).

I have heard anecdotes of NH chiefs of police who will not sign off on NFA paperwork, I don't believe anybody has tried to go to their county Sheriff for CLEO signoff?

I have heard of people in NH having the Sherriff sign their NFA Forms.

I think the guy at Chester Arms is a Class 3 SOT.

I guess I'm leaning towards the trust route Mike for privacy reasons. I guess I could go individual if the cost to create a trust through somebody like Evan Nappen costs way too much.

Acme is awaiting our SOT to come back with it's address change. A trust is a great way to go for several reasons. Many of which have been discussed in the trust thread. There are other NH atty.'s besides Nappan who will do a NFA Trust, Penny Dean in Concord and J.L. Sweeney in Nashua are two.

Silencershop has by far the best prices on suppressors. Also excellent communication regarding the process.

How great of a price savings do they offer? It would have to be at least $100 to make it worth the $100 transfer fee that most dealers will charge you.

I've used John @ Chester Arms before and he was nice to deal with.

Most recently though, I used Bob @ Belmont Firearms & Range. He was awesome through the whole process, never once sounded annoyed that I'd call to ask a question or check up on things and even threw in a couple boxes of subsonic ammo for nothing when I picked up my newest can. Plus, his shop is 1h30m away from my house, but he only lives about 20 minutes from me...He let me meet up at his house to do the paperwork from the beginning and pick it up in the end. He's got my future business.

How great of a price savings do they offer? It would have to be at least $100 to make it worth the $100 transfer fee that most dealers will charge you.

To be exact: $310. Two separate local dealers wanted $850; Silencershop = $539 + free shipping. The savings paid for the stamp + transfer fee, with a little left over too. They are very popular and well known over on silencertalk.

Back
Top Bottom