NH and CT lead the nation in machine gun ownership.

Cool statistics. NH and CT lead the nation in machine gun ownership.

New Hampshire Freedom

January 22nd entry:

Top Fifteen States:
1. NH 7.47
2. CT 6.13
3. MD 4.03
4. VA 3.69
5. ME 3.51
6. AL 3.25
7. WY 2.88
8. ID 2.72
9. IN 2.60
10. AZ 2.58
11. NV 2.48
12. KY 2.44
13. GA 2.23
14. AK 2.21
15. UT 2.13

Bottom Fifteen States:
36. NC 1.15
37. KS 1.14
38. WI 1.12
39. NE 1.10
40. TX 1.10
41. IA 1.06
42. MA 0.99
43. MI 0.92
44. NJ 0.78
45. CA 0.76
46. DE 0.62
47. RI 0.57
48. WA 0.55
49. NY 0.38
50. HI 0.31

Reference document:

Machine Guns per 1,000 People by State (warning, it’s a PDF document)

HI, MA, NY on bottom. Yup this is definitely accurate [laugh]. NH is badass. These are interesting for sure. Didn't know some of those top states were that high up.

Sent from my POS iPhone

I would have thought Texas or arizona

Remember its all relative to population. Texas might have high guns per capita but think about the demographics of the population.

The top states probably have a high ratio of gun owner wealth / capita. Back in 1986 before the ban cutoff went into play things were probably much different.

-Mike

I personally know aboout 10-15 people who lawfully possess machine guns....did not know CT was that high in ownership.

It's not. There is an institutional or OEM owner in a lot of these cases. These NFA lists include non transferrables too. VA is so high on the list because of the NRA museum (and H&K actually). CT AND NH because of sig, Colt and others. You will note that civilian transferrable NFA firearms are less than 300K yet that doc has 488K as the number of NFA registered firearms. That delta is SOTs who have built up some, OEMs who have them without having transferred them overseas yet, etc.

Remember its all relative to population. Texas might have high guns per capita but think about the demographics of the population.

The top states probably have a high ratio of gun owner wealth / capita. Back in 1986 before the ban cutoff went into play things were probably much different.

-Mike

That's sort of what I was figuring. I believe CT is one of the top states in personal wealth. And I seem to remember a report coming out recently about NH being one of the most prosperous states in the country. I'm not sure how the explains Maine - unless it's a retirement spot for rich people from other states or something like that.

All in all - it makes me feel good that at least there is some good representation in New England for gun owners.

Comparing MA against ME, NH and CT - it just goes to show you how full retard MA has gone.

It's not. There is an institutional or OEM owner in a lot of these cases. These NFA lists include non transferrables too. VA is so high on the list because of the NRA museum (and H&K actually). CT AND NH because of sig, Colt and others. You will note that civilian transferrable NFA firearms are less than 300K yet that doc has 488K as the number of NFA registered firearms. That delta is SOTs who have built up some, OEMs who have them without having transferred them overseas yet, etc.

Interesting. I haven't had the time to read the doc yet.

I didn't realize that such a high portion of the stuff on the NFA lists was not "civilian" owned.

With the prices of them though - I suppose that makes sense.

I would have thought Texas or arizona

Me too, then I realized they probably DO have the most machine guns, they just know what to say when the BATFE calls and asks them to take a survey...
A machine gun? no sir. No machine guns here...RAT TAT TAT TAT!!!!
"What's that noise in the background?"
Just pop corn sir....just popcorn....

That's per capita. The actual number of machine guns is highest here in VA (30,220 registered in the state). Many are registered to police departments, which are required under state law to register their machine guns too.

Register how? With the NFA or a state agency? NFA firearms in police custody do not need to be registered IIRC as per federal law.

Register how? With the NFA or a state agency? NFA firearms in police custody do not need to be registered IIRC as per federal law.

Must register with the VA State police per Va. Code Ann. Sec. 18.2-295 within 24 hours of purchase/receipt. The VA State police are also required to register their machine guns with the VA State police. No exception in the code for LEOs as they are no more equal than the rest of us.

Last edited:
Must register with the VA State police per Va. Code Ann. Sec. 18.2-295 within 24 hours of purchase/receipt. The VA State police are also required to register their machine guns with the VA State police. No exception in the code for LEOs as they are no more equal than the rest of us.

That's not the same as the NFA.

Back
Top Bottom