NFA - Trust Still The Way to Go?

I moved to NH, and now a year later I'm thinking about taking that leap into NFA land, I'm thinking of doing a SBR or two. I want my wife to be able to possess whatever SBRs I make, one less way to get in needless trouble. Is a Revocable Living Trust still the way to go? I have heard on several occasions that the ATF frowns on the RLT as a vessel for getting NFA items. If it is the way to go, can anyone recommend an NH attorney who has experience with this kind of thing (ideally related to NFA items).

Secondly, If I'm planning on doing two is there any reason I should or shouldn't send them forms in for both rifles at the same time?

Thanks!

Im looking for answers to the same questions and havent been able to find much. My best friends father is an attorney in the Lakes Region and am planning on talking with him regarding a living trust when I return from work. I dont suspect he'll have all the answers to my specific NFA related questions, however Im sure he knows quite a bit about living trusts specifically. Ill be sure to keep you posted with whatever I find.

-Coop

Trusts are a good way to deal with a CLEO that won't sign but, I believe, should otherwise be avoided. Securityboy will be by soon to disagree with me... :)

There is no reason not to mail two forms at once, just make sure you send 4 fingerprint cards, 2 pictures, and 2 Certifications of Compliance along with all four copies of the Forms.

--EasyD

Any good "reasons" to use for the Cleo signature; similar to the "reasons" needed for obtaining a ccl? Obviously self defense is probably not an accectable answer for nfa items!

Any good "reasons" to use for the Cleo signature; similar to the "reasons" needed for obtaining a ccl? Obviously self defense is probably not an accectable answer for nfa items!

Another reason for the NFA trust: you don't have to justify your want for an NFA item (suppressor, SBR, machinegun).

Trusts are a good way to deal with a CLEO that won't sign but, I believe, should otherwise be avoided. Securityboy will be by soon to disagree with me... :)--EasyD
Its more that I see each type of ownership (individual, corporate, & trust) as having thier own set of pro's & con's, as part of that I am aware that trusts have a couple additional "pro's" in addition to CLEO avoidance...

all lawful purposes, collecting, zombie hunting, etc

I was thinking the trust route would be good so that way I don't need to keep my NFA items secure from my wife given shes on the trust, besides the other benefits. Any reason not to go this way?

Yes, trusts/corps/llc are good for multiple person access, which is one thing you cannot do on an "individual" transfer.

-Mike

I would strongly encourage anyone interested in purchasing and owning NFA items to set up an NFA Trust. I posted here with some info about a year ago.

Using a Trust to own and purchase NFA items is most beneficial if there are 2 or more individuals in the household who would use the item and for streamlining the passing of restricted items on to your heirs without paying the tranfer fee (i.e. TAX) for EACH NFA Item. Anyone in your household who would be using the NFA item, should be named as a co-trustee, then all co-trustees can have access to the item. If an NFA item is purchased and registered as an individual, ONLY that person is authorized to have access to the item. Apple Law Firm can answer many more questions in detail.

I know the cost may at first seem excessive, but really, if you are investing a few thousand dollars in NFA items, this is a relatively small portion of that investment. When I started researching this, I was first quoted by a Lawyer in Nashua it would be in the "ballpark" of $1500, so Apple Law Firm was appoximately half the price.

With the present administration and how easy it is for the BATFE to misinterpret or question your paperwork, I just would not take a chance completing this without the consult of a law firm. (Remember, in the BATFE eyes you are guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent). Owning NFA items is a pretty big responsibility. To gun owners it may seem like a lot of unnecessary paperwork and over the top just to own a Short Barreled Rifle or Suppressor, but to politicians and law enforcement it is considered serious, serious business. If the BATFE prosecutes you for what may seem to be an honest paperwork violation, it can often be charged as a felony. ("Illegal possesion and transfer of a restricted firearm" is pretty damn serious.) Convicted felons don't get to own ANY guns, so it is worth every penny in my opinion to have a reputable law firm backing me up. BTW, I asked the attorney at Apple if they had ever had an issue with the BATFE with any of the Trusts they had set up, and she said they do this all the time and have never had any issues. She also said they have set up trusts for many high profile individuals including a very, very well known NRA Representative. Also, when I originally spoke with E.F. Nappen the gun law attorney in Concord, he said he had just set up his association with Apple Law Firm because he felt their NFA Trust was a much cleaner and thorough trust.

A few things you should be aware of:

1. After the trust is signed and notarized, it is recommend to set up a bank account in the name of the Trust.

2. Keep only your NFA items in this trust. Don't place any of your other non-NFA firearms in the trust.

3. Once you have the Trust set up, and you have a bank account in the name of the trust, make all your NFA purchases using this bank account.

4. Also, when you send in your ATF Form 4, send in the $200 application fee using your trust bank account.

5. Have the dealer you purchase your items from make the Bill of Sale out preferrably to the name of your trust.

6. Always sign your checks, ATF paperwork and bill of sales with your name followed by "Trustee"

Following these items will help demonstrate that the NFA items are, in fact, being purchased by the Trust and less chance of creating the perception that the item was purchased by you, as an individual and not as an acting Trustee. Remember, the BATFE views you and your Trust as two separate entities. If you already have an NFA item as an individual and are planning to set up a Trust for that same item, you are going to have to fill out the ATF paperwork and pay the transfer fee again to move it into your Trust. You can't just set up a Trust and then add your NFA item to it. In the ATF's eyes, it would be no different than if you were to sell it to another person without completing a transfer application and fee. A very serious offense.

Good luck with your efforts. Although there are some hoops to jump through, it is worth it!
This is another useful website http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

Last edited:
If you forget to renew your license or it gets revoked (LTC or MG), an NFA trust (setup correctly) may be the only way to ensure that your substantial investment is not subject to M.G.L. - Chapter 140, Section 129d surrender. Correct setup of a trust may shift legal and equitable title and right to physical possession to validly licensed individual. The MGLs are not copacetic with Federal NFA law at any level, and trusts can help mitigate associated risks.

Back
Top Bottom