Newborn Nurse Question.....

So my fiancée and I welcomed our new baby girl last Sunday and she had a home nurse visit yesterday for a follow up.....One of the questions she asked is "Are there any guns in the house?".....I just looked at her and thought that has nothing to do with anything going on here......I asked why she needs to know....she said it was a question that was on the sheet and needed a yes or no answer.....I just looked at her and informed her I wasn't answering the question....she said she had to put down an answer and I said make a new box and put NOYB.....anyways, just had to vent....more ways for the govt to gather info I guess.....

Just say yes. It's not a crime. And she's not telling the government what your answer is, regardless; her job is follow-up care for your insurer, not information-gathering for your congressman.

Besides, you live in MA. The government already knows you've got guns.

So my fiancée and I welcomed our new baby girl last Sunday and she had a home nurse visit yesterday for a follow up.....One of the questions she asked is "Are there any guns in the house?".....I just looked at her and thought that has nothing to do with anything going on here......I asked why she needs to know....she said it was a question that was on the sheet and needed a yes or no answer.....I just looked at her and informed her I wasn't answering the question....she said she had to put down an answer and I said make a new box and put NOYB.....anyways, just had to vent....more ways for the govt to gather info I guess.....

Well, by how you answered, she knows it's a YES I'm sure....

That VNA nurse visit to new parents is a freaking joke. Had it for our first kid. Nurse told my wife they would watch my sons weight and he would have to be hospitalized if he didn't gain on the "curve". Bye-bye VNA. 5 kids later they're all still alive by some miracle I guess.
If you're not a junkie crack head, I would skip the VNA visits.

Why let these people into your house. it is not required and totally not needed unless three are issues. ur kids were all born before all this bs started. personally I would have just said no if asked. There is no penalty for not answering a nurses questions truthfully.

Wonder if you can have them check neither or both. Both would probably crash some database somewhere.

This. Did she ask if there was a swimming pool or body of water nearby, or if there were prescription drugs or household chemicals or matches/lighters or gasoline?

Or stairs. I'd like to see an infant that can pull a 10 lb trigger.

This must be new - I don't think the nurses asked about guns with our 1st four years ago (I think the nurse only comes for the 1st child).

Or stairs. I'd like to see an infant that can pull a 10 lb trigger.

This must be new - I don't think the nurses asked about guns with our 1st four years ago (I think the nurse only comes for the 1st child).

We got a visit because our first started out in the ICU for a few weeks. Normal births probably don't get a visit, regardless of birth order. It's all about hospital/insurer policy. The questions are insurer-driven, too. Some insurers couldn't care less whether you've got guns in the house.

(I think the nurse only comes for the 1st child).

There is no such thing as a visiting nurse going to one's house for a visit for the birth of your first child unless there is a legitimate medical necessity or a safety concern. The insurance companies, including Mass Health, will not pay for them to just show up because it is your first born.
The VNA is not a joke. A lot of times a baby is discharged home with some health problems, such as jaundice, that need a trained medical professional to monitor because again, the insurance companies will not pay for what they feel is an unnecessary extended hospital stay.
The theme of all of this is the entire healthcare industry is driven by cost cutting insurance companies and hospital / doctor profits.

About two years ago, my now deceased father in law was living with us. He was a WWII Vet and just all around good guy....and quite found of his Shotties. We had a VNA come to the house after a hospitalization, and yup are there "guns" in the house question came up. My fabulous wife answered "this man fought the against a force that asked those same questions to a population 70 years ago. Do you really think it is wise to ask that to a World War II Vet?....any my father in law piped up and said "Or any American for that reason." Needless to say my wife cut her hours at work and took care of her dad herself until he passed.

"Is there a dildo in your purse? It's on the form and I have to ask it. I need a yes or no answer".

See what HER answer is.

I usually ask "Do you regularly enjoy anal?" After I get the initial shocked and horrified face, I tell them "Since you escalated the conversation to deeply personal questions, I figured I'd reciprocate."

There is no such thing as a visiting nurse going to one's house for a visit for the birth of your first child unless there is a legitimate medical necessity or a safety concern. The insurance companies, including Mass Health, will not pay for them to just show up because it is your first born.
The VNA is not a joke. A lot of times a baby is discharged home with some health problems, such as jaundice, that need a trained medical professional to monitor because again, the insurance companies will not pay for what they feel is an unnecessary extended hospital stay.
The theme of all of this is the entire healthcare industry is driven by cost cutting insurance companies and hospital / doctor profits.

I checked with my wife, the nurse came for both our kids, as part of our insurance coverage.

Our kids had no complications, it was given to everyone.

Last edited:
I thought that was part of the CDC's war against guns? They give you the statistics that guns in the home are used against someone in the home at some outrageous ratio to using them to protect a family etc. That was the CDC mantra on the gun issue for a while.

"Any guns in the home?"

"Hmmmm, let me think about that. Are you married or single?"

If 'single' or 'married': "Why would you answer that question?"

If 'what does that have to do with anything?': "Exactly."

Oh wait...

Nurse: "Any guns in the house?"
Me: "Are you carrying a gun?"
If 'No': "Stick'em up!"
If 'Yes': "AAAAAaaaahhhhh a guuuuuuunnnnnnn!!!" And run away

It's not that big a deal as a question. I worked in IT at a home health care place for about 5 years and it was a part of forms before Obamacare was inflicted upon us. The nurses I worked with honestly DGAF what the answer was. Don't answer, or tell them no if it bugs you. I try not to let strangers know my business, so would be inclined to answer no. (Dawned on me as I looked around the room at the pile of gun digests and gun mags while I type this that the question may answer itself. :D)

Sorry but that is just not true....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That Question is a violation of my 4th amendment right. I will not answer it.

Back
Top Bottom