Newbie Reloader

Anybody recommend a decent progressive press to learn how to reload 45acp and .223 on. Probably do about a couple thousand rounds a year.Looking to spend $200 or under on the press setup.

I doubt you can find a progressive for under $200 unless as Chris stated it is a well used one. You should be able to get a Lee Turret classic press which is a good press for the money for under $200 or you could get a Lee classic cast single stage press which is a very good press, add some dies and Hornady LNL quick release bushings and you will still be under $200 and with the LNL bushings you can make quick die changes.

For that price you will have to be looking used to get a quality progressive and still may be low... I recommend putting away some more funds and make the correct purchase the first time if you can't find something used. Better off in my opinion to buy once then to just want to upgrade after a few months.

I load both .45 and .223 on my Dillon

Great advice, heed it.

For that price you will have to be looking used to get a quality progressive and still may be low... I recommend putting away some more funds and make the correct purchase the first time if you can't find something used. Better off in my opinion to buy once then to just want to upgrade after a few months.

I load both .45 and .223 on my Dillon

Step one. Save a few more dollars.
Step two. Get a Dillon Precision press. (SDB if only loading for pistol, 550 or 650 if you want to do rifle as you state)
Step three. Reload on it forever and then pass it along to your kids.

Enjoy.

Yup, save up for the right equipment. You'll only frustrate yourself trying to get by on $200. Also, although I've gotten some good used deals, they're hard to find. It seems that good used equipment on eBay or Gunborker.com ends up going for close to retail price.

Anybody recommend a decent progressive press to learn how to reload 45acp and .223 on. Probably do about a couple thousand rounds a year.Looking to spend $200 or under on the press setup.

I use a Lee Pro 1000, I have 10's of thousands of rounds through them. They work well for the price

The Lee Progressive 1000 will work, but you've got to learn it's various idiosyncrasies. There are a few people here that use them and they can probably help you.

presses

I have 2 Lee 1000,one in 45 acp and one in 223.also 3 lee turrets.and with the turret plates you dont need LNL bushings.those LNLs are the only way you can change dies on non turret press.the lee Clasic cast turret is strong and will turn out 200 an hour easy+I just do loading in batches.I have a rock chucker but dont see any reason to load on it.it is a good press but obsolete.
all presses are good but some are priced high.lee dies are as good as any and I have some of all from MODERN BOND to Hornady to Lyman to RCBS.and tru line and herter.

i recently got back into shooting and reloading. about 12 yrs ago i got rid of my dillon press and now i regretted it. i went on ebay and was able to get a factory refurbrished one for 240 dollars. the dillons are lifetime warrantied...so i recommend you check around and get a dillon as your 1st press and save some frustration. thats just my opinion. good luck......have fun.......and be safe.

press

2000 divided by 12 ==166 rds month.why not get a turret press,to start,if you load more then you will have the experiance to go to a progressive.like one post a lee cast turret,a single stage with lnl is a press that was not designed for production of any kind.with a turret you can load as a single stage with quick change turret.and the price is right.the progressives all need twicking from time to time.[rolleyes]

Wanna sell that obsolete rockchucker? I'll give it a nice home ;)

I have 2 Lee 1000,one in 45 acp and one in 223.also 3 lee turrets.and with the turret plates you dont need LNL bushings.those LNLs are the only way you can change dies on non turret press.the lee Clasic cast turret is strong and will turn out 200 an hour easy+I just do loading in batches.I have a rock chucker but dont see any reason to load on it.it is a good press but obsolete.
all presses are good but some are priced high.lee dies are as good as any and I have some of all from MODERN BOND to Hornady to Lyman to RCBS.and tru line and herter.

I have 2 Lee pro 1000 presses. one for 45, and one for 40. I have loaded thousands and thousands on each without any major issues. I do all my rifle reloading on single stage presses. I think if I were going to load rifle on a progressive press, I would go for the Lee Loadmaster. It has a 4th station that would be necessary (in my opinion) for loading rifle cases.

Back
Top Bottom