Newbie here with a question about Out-of-State CC Permit

Hey guys, I'm new here [clearly] and I recently got my LTC-A in Massachusetts [aka liberal hell] and I travel to NH frequently and stay at my uncles condo in Laconia a lot over the summer. I have searched and found mixed answers as to what I am able to do. My license unfortunately is restricted to hunting and shooting (stupid town). I was wondering how that works when I apply for a concealed carry in NH are they going to deny me outright? Are they going to give me the same permit restrictions in NH? Is it ever possible to get a concealed permit in my situation? If not what are my options can I open carry, can it be left in a car unloaded/loaded with a lock on it?

Thanks a lot for help!!

Steve

Hey Steve - first - welcome...second - this is an oft-discussed topic, but I'll save you from further searching with a quick response. (FYI - IANAL)

The NH pistol/revolver permit is shall-issue if you meet the criteria, which I assume you would, given your MA LTC status. So, definitely go ahead and apply, as I can't imagine why you wouldn't get it (but note that they have a fixed staff and are apparently overwhelmed with applications, so it will take longer these days than it ever has before).

There are no "restrictions" on the NH non-resident license of which I am aware - you either get it, or you don't. Unlike MA (for example), your permit status in your home state (or elsewhere) doesn't result in any "restrictions" on your NH non-resident license.

Open carry is generally available in NH to residents and non-residents who are not otherwise prohibited persons, as is unloaded transport within the state. For transportation, I can't recall if it has to be 'unloaded and trigger locked' or 'unloaded in a locked container with ammunition separate', but I'd go with the latter just to be sure.

The NH pistol/revolver license is a requirement for (i) lawful CCW within NH, and (ii) lawful transport of a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle in NH. Also, note that the physical license itself doesn't say anything about concealed carry, but that's what it authorizes.

Again, welcome.

Nice huh? After you cross the state line into NH, and you're free again, you can holster and carry your gun while driving, as long as you get that non-resi permit first. Only $20 for four years... a bargain.

Thanks guys for the responses, and yes it is ridiculous that I live 10 mins from the NH boarder and I can cross there and carry, but for some reason In my town it is illegal (like i spend anytime in that crap hole anyway). So I am going to send my application in and I when I graduate from law school I will probably take the MASS and NH bar and probably move to NH. MA is so ridiculous with their laws. Clearly they have no justification to restrict my license over my dads (who by the way has an all lawful purposes license from the same town). We both have the same reasons to have it (protection).. Bahhhh I will stop complaining now and I will thank you again.

Hi all - I know this is an old thread but I've been searching on a similar question. I live in MA and have an unrestricted LTC-A. I'd like to go to NH to go to a range / etc. I'm assuming if I transport in a locked case separate from ammo with trigger locks I'm safe... but is that the actual restriction? I'm interested to hear what others think. RKBA posted something similar above (though admittedly less restrictive).

Where is this info detailed?

It seems like the safest route is to simply get the NH permit but in the meantime.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom