New WASR

I just picked it up today. It needs some TLC, but I like it already. I was also told today that you couldn't modify these, ie: change the stocks, hand grips, etc. Is that true?

martlett...as long as the parts are US made making them compliant...you can do whatever you want to it...you need a certain # of US parts...i forget how many...but if you have the right amount you can modify it all you want...i have a mak 90 with a choate dragunov stock and handguard on it...i replace 2 chinese parts with 2 american parts...im correct in stating that its ok right guys???

I can't remember the parts count either. Easy to find though. That's the safe way, replace the part with a US and you can't go wrong. Just watch your "evil" features, WASR's are not pre-ban.

Nice rifle.
This appears to be a WASR10 Model 2. The main difference between the Model 1 and 2 is the stock and US parts count. Even if this is a Model 1 with a different wood, you should consider this a Model 2 when working with compliance parts. A model 2 has 10 Imported parts and 5 US parts, where the Model 1 has 4 US parts. However the MINIMUM US parts needed to keep this rifle legal is 5. Usually, these parts will include, the gas piston, pistol grip, and the fire control group. As long as any of those parts are changed with US parts, your rifle will stay compliant.

Enjoy your rifle.
Adam

Adam_MA said:
Nice rifle.
This appears to be a WASR10 Model 2. The main difference between the Model 1 and 2 is the stock and US parts count. Even if this is a Model 1 with a different wood, you should consider this a Model 2 when working with compliance parts. A model 2 has 10 Imported parts and 5 US parts, where the Model 1 has 4 US parts. However the MINIMUM US parts needed to keep this rifle legal is 5. Usually, these parts will include, the gas piston, pistol grip, and the fire control group. As long as any of those parts are changed with US parts, your rifle will stay compliant.

Enjoy your rifle.
Adam

Thanks. That's what I had read elsewhere. I was confused when I casually mentioned making a few changes and the guy said "any alterations makes this rifle illegal".

Speaking on a FEDERAL Law level, not state, you can replace 5 parts on a Single Stack WASR-10 and open it up to Double Stack (Hi-Cap).

I did mine, and here's what I replaced.

Trigger, hammer and sear (3 parts). Get a G2, Single hook works.

Gas Piston.

Pistol Grip. Get a SAW grip. As in M249 SAW.

Martlet, PM incoming.

I will third the SAW grip. I have one on mine, and it's like a dream compared to the square one.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom