new to this

hey im interesting in hunting up in Mass,,,been hunting before in the backwoods of PA.........but not always.... well ill save that for another time.............i live up in the Andover area now, i would love to hunt in Lawrence but you need a very special permit to hunt that population hhaha......So i heard there is a Hunter safety class up in Middleton? anyone know of one around me? and What shotgun would you recommend for a new hunter or i was thinking of going back to our patriot roots and using a kentucky long rifle black powder you know for that classic touch....

If you've been legally hunting in PA you have your hunter safety handled (req. since 1980, right?). You can use the card here to get your license.

Yes or an old hunters safety course cert. All you need to do is call the town clerks office in the town it was issued and they can cut you a new one.

black powder, NICE, thats the way to go. I use a Pedersoli 1857 mauser, great rifle, specially since it was designed to shoot minies at 100 yards.

a good shotgun, would be a remington 870. I love those. And they can double as a nice home defense weapon. Specially the one with ghost ring sights and rails.

Benellis are nice too, but in my opinion, a little overpriced. (the ones i like are all $1200 and up)
CZ shotguns are also really nice, and pretty expensive. But CZ has really good quality guns and a really nice S/S coach gun.

if you want a shotgun that looks more like an assault rifle, check out SAIGA. I dont know how reliable they are, but i know they make really nice rifles.

+1 on the Remington 870. You can get one in dozens of different configurations. I got an Express Magnum combo (chambered for 2&3/4" and 3" - didn't see the need for 3.5"), which came with a 26" vent rib barrel that takes all manner of interchangeable chokes, and a 20" rifled slug barrel with open rifle sights. It's a very versatile combination for just about any type of shotgun hunting (ducks, geese, turkeys, upland birds, and deer) and for target shooting and/or for home defense.

The only thing I might do if I was going to to it again I might spring for a cantilevered barrel for mounting a scope. I can get scope mount rings for my existing barrel but understand the cantilever mount has advantages.

Back
Top Bottom