• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to the sport, where to start?

I live in Boston and my boyfriend and I are interested in learning more about shooting. Possibly sporting clays or target range shooting. I grew up in a household with guns and have had some basic gun safety training and have shot both pistols and rifles, but not for about 15 years or so. My boyfriend has never used a gun.

I am basically looking to give him the opportunity to safely handle a firearm, shoot a few rounds and experience different types of guns so we can decide if it is something we would like to pursue before investing full on in equipment, classes and gun club memberships.

Any ideas where we would need to start? Do we need licenses? Is there a range in the Greater Boston area where we could go? Do we need a gun safety class before we can start? Is there a place where you can go for a minimal investment to “try it out”?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you are willing to drive a bit south you can go to American Firearms School in Attleboro Falls just off rt. 152 exit of Rt. 95.

http://www.americanfirearmsschool.com/

They offer the following:

Learn To Shoot Package

A great opportunity for the beginning shooter for only $35.00! The Learn To Shoot Package includes:

Instructor

Range Time

(1) .22 caliber firearm

100 Rounds (.22 caliber)

2 Targets

This package does NOT fulfill the State Requirement for a Massachusetts LTC/FID.

Offer only used with .22 caliber, CANNOT trade up calibers for this package.

$35.00

Please call ahead to ensure there is an instructor available.

Currently available weekday evenings 5pm to 8pm and weekends 9am to 5pm.

I would bet you will hear from others with some thoughts as well.

Welcome to NES and don't be a stranger.

-Rick

Rick, this is a great option! Exactly what I was looking for. Will we need to have a license to take a course like this?

Or you could head North

Bob's Tactical in Salisbury, Ma. 90 Lafayette Road
Has an indoor range and rental guns. Pay as you go, no membership fees.
They also offer classes on varying days/nights to fit your schedule

Rick, this is a great option! Exactly what I was looking for. Will we need to have a license to take a course like this?

When I started out I did basically what is now called the learn to shoot package (it didn't exist when I started). You don't need a license or any previous training, they can get you up and running from square one. They also offer rentals all the way from .22s up to AR15's and AK47s depending on your tastes.

Thanks Ninsho! I think it looks like a great facility! Haven't had any experience with something as powerful as an AK47, so it is nice that the option is avaiable.

Haven't had any experience with something as powerful as an AK47, so it is nice that the option is avaiable.

If you've shot a rifle more powerful than a 22, you probably have. An AK is about equal or less powerful than almost any hunting rifle.

Manchester (NH) Firing Line is an indoor range that will rent guns to be used onsite on the indoor range to MA residents with proper ID. No gun license required. 14.50 an hour per person for the first hour for the range time, gun rentals prices vary by make and type. the machine guns gets expensive, and you must buy ammo for their range guns from them. Targets are reasonably priced, and they will rent you hearing and eye protection for short money if you don''t own them. Hearing and eye protection are mandatory on the firing line. They will instruct you on range and gun safety before you go onto the range if you ask, actually they will ask you.

If you want to head north for shopping, MFL is near the Mall of NH and the LL Bean outlet store.... bring money!

Google Manchester Firing Line for more info

We don't rent guns, but Westford Sportsmen's Club, about 40 minutes north of Boston, is open to the public for trap shooting and sporting clays on Sunday afternoons starting at 1:00pm. (You'll need to be there about 12:30 to register and get in squads for sporting clays. If there's nobody shooting trap for any length of time, the people running the range will close up and leave, so you want to be there near 1:00 rather than showing up a couple of hours later, in which case you'll be out of luck most of the time.) While there are no guns for rent, there are usually people willing to lend new shooters a gun in order to get acquainted with the sports.

Ken

Thanks Jar! I have used a rifle for sporting clays at the gun club with my
Dad. Guess I just didn't realize how it stacked up! :D

If you want to head north for shopping, MFL is near the Mall of NH and the LL Bean outlet store.... bring money!

Google Manchester Firing Line for more info

I will look into this one as well, thank you! Plus outlet shopping at LL Bean? That is hard to pass up! :D

We don't rent guns, but Westford Sportsmen's Club, about 40 minutes north of Boston, is open to the public for trap shooting and sporting clays on Sunday afternoons starting at 1:00pm.

Ken! I just sent an email to your club (using the address on the website) earlier today inquiring about your policies for beginners. It looks like a fantastic club with lots of great sporting options!

I will look into this one as well, thank you! Plus outlet shopping at LL Bean? That is hard to pass up! :D

Check out their website. They have Women's nights where it is something like half off. I think it is Sunday afternoon.

Becky,

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, the options listed above are good ones, particularly the AFS option. I'm not a fan of Manchester Firing Line myself. Stay away Friday and Saturday nights. There are a few too many people unfamiliar with firearms, and with no guidance.

Third, NES paid members ($20) can go to "members shoots". There is one coming up at the end of the month. At this event you could have the opportunity to shoot just about anything you could hope for. This shoot is just 15 minutes past 495. I'm going to try to make it and you'd be welcome to shoot anything I bring.

Good luck,
Matt

Becky, welcome to the forum!

There is also Braintree R&P, www.brp.org, where Second Amendment Sisters meets the 3rd Saturday each month. You can use their guns and ammo for a $5.00 donation. BR&P donates the use of the facilities to SAS. They've also just started doing something with trap as well.

Either Nicole will be along shortly with more info or you can send her a PM. Nicole is the Quincy area coordinator for SAS.

SAS is strictly for the women however.

Just like Ken pointed out, BR&P is open to the public on Sundays for trap and I'm sure that the folks there will let you and your SO try out their guns. [I say this although I have never shot trap there in the 10 years I've been a member.]

A very smart move would be to "go green" (buy an NES membership) and join the pumpkin shoot at the end of November. There you and your SO can get an opportunity of a lifetime to try just about anything you can imagine and have a boatload of fun with a great group of people.

Third, NES paid members ($20) can go to "members shoots". There is one coming up at the end of the month. At this event you could have the opportunity to shoot just about anything you could hope for. This shoot is just 15 minutes past 495. I'm going to try to make it and you'd be welcome to shoot anything I bring.

I am going to be in Western New York for Thanksgiving, so I am not sure if I can make the "members shoot" this month, but it seems well worth the $20 investment to be able to shoot with guys who are experienced (vs a open range full of novices). I will let you know if I am able to attend will and look you up for sure! Thank you, Matt!

There is also Braintree R&P, www.brp.org, where Second Amendment Sisters meets the 3rd Saturday each month.

A very smart move would be to "go green" (buy an NES membership) and join the pumpkin shoot at the end of November. QUOTE]

LenS - Thanks for the welcome and the great idea! I may just have to pay a visit to the SAS!. Also, I am going to look into the pumpkin shoot. If I am in town it sounds like it is well worth going!

Back
Top Bottom