New to Nashua (Another CCW Thread)

I recently moved to Nashua from Massachusetts, and have just applied for my New Hampshire CCW in Nashua, and I'm worried that it won't go through. In Massachusetts, I was arrested for assault twice (horrible circumstances, both times dropped after they figured out the claims were false), but the initial court appearances remain on my record for life. I attempted to apply for my LTC in Massachusetts just to be able to have the privilege of buying a handgun (I owned many in South Carolina before I moved back up to Massachusetts). I walked into the police station with my record in my hand, and was completely open and honest about it, and I had previously held a concealed carry permit in South Carolina. The chief deemed that I was an "unsuitable person", and denied me my license. That was the final straw for me, and I left the state.

When I went to apply today, I noticed that one of the questions on the application is "have you ever been denied a permit in this or any other state?". I answered truthfully, and wrote that I was denied a license in Massachusetts on the back of the form. Will I be denied in New Hampshire because of my Massachusetts denial? I was approved for a handgun purchase yesterday. I went to do the purchase on Sunday, but it came back as delayed, probably due to the fact that my New Hampshire temporary driver's license was only 4 days old. After what was done to me in Massachusetts, I've just been going nuts about it.

Having been denied elsewhere is not, on it's own, a likely reason for denial in NH. Arrest record might be a concern; while there is a "suitable person" clause but the CLEO has less leeway than in MA.

If you get a call from the PD asking for more information, I'd suggest responding immediately rather than delaying. And if you are denied in NH, you have only a few weeks in which to file an appeal.

Last edited:
Thank you, I appreciate the info! I've done a lot of searching over the past few days, and I've been able to find very few examples of people that have been denied in New Hampshire.

Thank you, I appreciate the info! I've done a lot of searching over the past few days, and I've been able to find very few examples of people that have been denied in New Hampshire.

Few people get denied in New Hampshire, many aren't suitable persons and wouldn't make a good test case, so there's not a lot of discussion around the topic. It's easier to search on Evan Nappen or Penny Dean than any other related search term.

Good luck!

Just an FYI.

I had a court appearance for an A&B at one point in my life too

It was never prosecuted, after an appearance before a magistrate and then one court appearance, the charges were dropped. When I lived in Mass I had a CCW permit for "All lawful purposes"

IN NH I current hold a P&R license.

It was mentioned when I first received the Mass permit that I could not have it "IF" that had been prosecuted but as charges were dropped I was "OK"

Just an FYI.

I had a court appearance for an A&B at one point in my life too

It was never prosecuted, after an appearance before a magistrate and then one court appearance, the charges were dropped. When I lived in Mass I had a CCW permit for "All lawful purposes"

IN NH I current hold a P&R license.

It was mentioned when I first received the Mass permit that I could not have it "IF" that had been prosecuted but as charges were dropped I was "OK"

What they should have said in MA was "if you we're found guilty", but we all know how they like to toss suitability around to ****with people.

According to the RSA's- which is excerpted on the back of the form- you are presumed to be a suitable person if you pass a background check for the purchase of a firearm- and if the Chief wants to deny on suitability the burden of proof falls upon them, and they must provide their clear reasons in writing at the time of denial- within 14 days of the application.

If you are denied contact Evan Nappen or Penny Dean right away and appeal. You have passed a background check (by your OP) to purchase so the Chief's legal position may be weak.

According to the RSA's- which is excerpted on the back of the form- you are presumed to be a suitable person if you pass a background check for the purchase of a firearm- and if the Chief wants to deny on suitability the burden of proof falls upon them, and they must provide their clear reasons in writing at the time of denial- within 14 days of the application.

If you are denied contact Evan Nappen or Penny Dean right away and appeal. You have passed a background check (by your OP) to purchase so the Chief's legal position may be weak.

The chiefs position is exceedingly weak.

I know someone who has and arrest and conviction for reckless conduct (donuts on a sand road, he plead guilty and the friend fought it and won). As well as a misdemeanor for taking apart a public picnic table (all done while he was 18). Now granted, these were a non-violent crimes, but it they were on his record nonetheless. He still got his NH CC License from the Manchester PD.

As caboose mentioned, contact Evan Nappen or Penny Dean immediately if after 14 days (consecutive) you are denied. On the 14th day if you have not heard from the police yet, call or stop by and ask them politely what the status of your license is. If they give you any crap or excuse, remind them of the statute of 14 days and that you expect to have the license in hand or a denial letter by the end of the day or your attorney is being brought in to play.

I doubt that you will need to contact an attorney or even threaten them with legal action.

Thanks guys. Again, I've just been terrorized by Massachusetts to the point where I just assume that I'm going to get denied.

The good news is that even if you are denied, NH has a proper system with which to appeal. Yes it will cost you some money, but at least you will be heard by a court of law, assuming the chief doesn't fold before that.

Thanks guys. It's going to take me a long time to get used to being treated like a human being again. I've only been in New Hampshire since Monday, and I can't get over how kind and helpful everyone is at the government level..... DMV, Nashua City Hall, everywhere!

One week turnaround, if not quicker, seems to be Nashua's usual timeframe for P&R

Cool. Don't forget to update us in this thread when you have news.

Thanks guys. It's going to take me a long time to get used to being treated like a human being again. I've only been in New Hampshire since Monday, and I can't get over how kind and helpful everyone is at the government level..... DMV, Nashua City Hall, everywhere!

say whaaat?!

you obviously didn't get the old lady on the left.

And welcome to Nashua.

Do you think I stand a good chance of being denied over two arrests that were dismissed?

Nashua PD denied me for an arrest 25 years ago back in Baltimore. Yes they were serious charges but the Grand jury dropped the
charges due to no evidence that I was involved. I didn't appeal the denial at the time, as I didn't know what was involved. I also
didn't expunge my Maryland arrest record during the intervening years. I got to talk to Evan Nappen at the last Concord gun show.

He said to go ahead and expunge my record ($35 fee) and reapply after the 90 days the expungement takes . The reason for denial
would be gone, so they would have to grant my P&R. I am thinking of just reappling and do the appeal myself as the burden of proof
is on the PD to prove I am unsuitable. I was going to include Evan's Name and info on the bottom of the application, not as a
reference, but just as a FYI to the guy handling the permits. This may make them think twice of a second denial of my P&R.

Malodave

I spoke to the detective. She asked me why I was denied in Massachusetts, and I told her because of the arrests that were on my record. She said the arrests weren't a reason to deny me. She asked what town, and I told her. That was on Thursday, and I still haven't heard back. They have until tomorrow to let me know. I spoke with Penny Dean, and she thoroughly freaked me out about the Nashua police.

Well, on the 14th day, I was informed that I was approved! I picked up the permit early this morning, and I was pretty surprised that it's printed on the same quality paper they use for traffic tickets. They also told me I had to carry the original around with me.... no copies allowed. Oh well.

Malodave, she basically expressed disdain for the Nashua police, and expressed doubt that I would be approved. I don't want to go into specifics on a public forum, because you never know who reads these.

They also told me I had to carry the original around with me.... no copies allowed. Oh well.

Glad to see you got it within the legal time frame. They can tell you whatever they want, but that does not make it fact. Hopfully you told them to stick it up their ass. That's the NH way. [wink]

I think this is good advice

Q: If my car is pulled over by the police, do I have to tell the officer that I’m (legally) carrying?
A: NH law doesn’t require that you notify the police officer that you're armed (but before he asks), and the subject is debatable. One opinion (mine) is that if your gun is truly concealed, and there’s nothing that would suggest to the officer that you’re carrying, then there’s no reason to notify him; after all, some younger police officers (including recent Massachusetts transplants) may panic and have you spread-eagled on the ground. But of course you should tell the officer that you're legally armed if he asks you (do NOT lie to the police!), and I further strongly suggest you should do so if there's any chance he’d suspect you’re carrying, or if the gun would be noticed during your conversation with him – especially if he asks you to step out of the car.

If you do notify the officer for any of these reasons (or if you simply choose to do so), a personal suggestion is that you don't say the word "gun," because police are trained to react urgently to that word. Instead, I suggest keeping both hands on the steering wheel and saying something like "Officer, I have a New Hampshire license to carry, and I'm carrying in a belt holster on my right side, under my jacket; how would you like me to proceed?"
As a matter of training, the officer will most likely disarm you for his own safety during the conversation – and in some cases may even unload the handgun before returning it (and the ammunition) to you. A smart officer will also ask if you have any otherweapons on you.

By the way, the law doesn’t demand that you have your resident NH License to Carry (the paper actually says “Pistol/Revolver License”) with you, but you should: let's say you’re stopped without your carry license on a Friday night in a remote town, and your hometown police chief – who’s the only officer in your small town – can’t verify your license because he’s on a weekend fishing trip; you could very well be arrested (which would ruin your weekend).

Frequently Asked Questions about Gun Laws in New Hampshire | Pro-Gun New Hampshire

Last edited:
Well, on the 14th day, I was informed that I was approved! I picked up the permit early this morning, and I was pretty surprised that it's printed on the same quality paper they use for traffic tickets. They also told me I had to carry the original around with me.... no copies allowed. Oh well.

Malodave, she basically expressed disdain for the Nashua police, and expressed doubt that I would be approved. I don't want to go into specifics on a public forum, because you never know who reads these.

Awesome.

There is nothing in the law that states you have to have the license on you only that you applied for it and was given it. However, I recommend that you make a photocopy of the license, cut to size, and keep it folded up in your wallet.

Enjoy your new-found freedoms and remember: If New Hampshire law does not say you can't do it, you can do it. For example, New Hampshire law makes no mention of open carry, therefore, you can open carry.

NH law is quite sparse compared to Mass law.

Congrats!! The state didn't take away your god given right!!!

FYI, I know a few folks in NH that have laminated the original to ensure it stays intact...

I made 6 shrunk down laminated copies. The original is laminated in my safe.

I put 1 in range/bob, one I'm car, one in truck, one in wallet, 3 in safe with original. Just to have.

If you are not required to have it on your person, why TF does it matter what size it is that you carry....

They told you to carry the original? Lol. Nashua PD. It's not a permit. Keep the original where it won't get ruined and where you can get to it if needed (I keep mine in my truck).

Just to put your mind at ease, I have one in my wallet that is 14 years old. Just kept it there, folded in quarters, to see how it hold up. Still good as new.

Back
Top Bottom