New to Muzzleloading! Any tips and where can I get ammo???

If you’re a gun guy you have normal bore solvent so nothing to buy. I get it that you also have water but any black powder/substitute that cleans up with water is corrosive AF.

Triple 7 is even worse in terms of fouling as it’s sugar based. Burn sugar and you get a mess.

But It works. It’ll kill deer.

I agree with all except for being able to use "regular cleaning solvent" with 209. Yes blackhorn 209 recommends oil based cleaning solvents.....but why is that a bonus when I can clean my front stuffer with boiling water after using 777? Just sayin

You can shoot 100 shots on the range and won’t have to swab the bore once. And it’s far less corrosive. Some guns like the Woodman Arms that are fully nitrided it’s non corrosive. The guy that makes those has been shooting his for years without any cleanings and no problems or rust.

Its recommended to get a different plug when using bh209 but not required. I've always had good ignition and good accuracy with 777 pellets though. Easy to use, carry, and clean up with boiling water. With 209 you have to use solvents to clean......some guys like the 209 but I don't understand why.

Do I Need the Blackhorn™ Breech Plug for my CVA? | Muzzle-Loaders.com

If you’re a gun guy you have normal bore solvent so nothing to buy. I get it that you also have water but any black powder/substitute that cleans up with water is corrosive AF.

Triple 7 is even worse in terms of fouling as it’s sugar based. Burn sugar and you get a mess.

But It works. It’ll kill deer.
100 grains of 777 under a 250 grain mag Express has killed a few for me.

Had some trouble locating powerbelts, lots of places list them as a seasonal item. The place @HorizontalHunter mentioned had them listed as in stock though. Thanks for that one. I like to make some smoke clouds in the off-season too.

I’m not too keen on powerbelts but some like them. Every gun is different, experiment with a few to find out what your gun likes.

2 pellets of triple 7 and a 245 Powerbelt bullet will produce MOA in a CVA Wolf .

KTP ... or Walmart during black powder season. The Walmart I go to usually has pyrodex, 209 primers and projectiles on the shelf.

Sounds about right, and what the guy at KTP told me and sold me.

KTP will have everything, and most likely also Cabela's and Bass Pro. Maybe Walmart around hunting season, as said here.

It seems pretty simple, 2 pellets, all the way down, then the bullet on top. Haven't tried loose granular powder yet. Also, there is this stuff called "bore butter" that is pretty good for cleaning.

I’m not too keen on powerbelts but some like them. Every gun is different, experiment with a few to find out what your gun likes.
I tried power belts in my TC Impact.......they went through the target sideways. Lol

Keep in mind that some city/town Fire Marshals require that powder be kept out back in a fire proof safe. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean that they don’t have it. You May have to ask. IIRC Nicks in Palmer is that way.

If you buy some 50g pellets and some 60g pellets you can easily get a 100g load, 110g load, and a 120g load to see what might work best and still have the convince of a pellet reload in the woods.

I really like the Hornady SST-ML Low Drag Lock-N-Load Speed Sabots. The tail will accommodate up to 150g of pellets and you can trim it for what ever pellet load you settle in on. It makes for an easy field reload as it is held together with the tail on the sabot.

lg_5209sst_muzzleloading_sabot_faded.jpg

Hornady® SST-ML Low Drag Lock-N-Load® Speed Sabots with Flex Tip Technology : Cabela's

Bob

Keep in mind that some city/town Fire Marshals require that powder be kept out back in a fire proof safe. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean that they don’t have it. You May have to ask. IIRC Nicks in Palmer is that way.

If you buy some 50g pellets and some 60g pellets you can easily get a 100g load, 110g load, and a 120g load to see what might work best and still have the convince of a pellet reload in the woods.

I really like the Hornady SST-ML Low Drag Lock-N-Load Speed Sabots. The tail will accommodate up to 150g of pellets and you can trim it for what ever pellet load you settle in on. It makes for an easy field reload as it is held together with the tail on the sabot.

lg_5209sst_muzzleloading_sabot_faded.jpg

Hornady® SST-ML Low Drag Lock-N-Load® Speed Sabots with Flex Tip Technology : Cabela's

Bob
Yup, Patriot Arms in Ipswich is the same.

when you get tired on $4-5 a shot, get a Hawken Flintlock (they're cheap used ~$200 these days - everyone's going to inlines)
you can shoot for months with $10 worth of Roundball & FFg ;)

might even find a cheaper one, i.e.,
"I, Hatchet Jack, bein’ of sound mind and broke legs do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it....."

I’ve had good accuracy from the Hornady sabots both the normal and the all copper ones. I believe they make the Thompson Center branded sabots as well as the Traditions ones.

The powerbelts are undersized for the bore and the plastic on the back acts as a gas seal. I expect they kind of rattle down the bore and I cant see how this helps accuracy. But some guns shoot them well. I have t found them to be the most accurate.

Make sure, wherever you go, there isn’t an itemized receipt for your wife to find.

A friend had a hell of a time explaining why he was buying things like: ball puller, nipple pick, nipple wrench, ball starter, lubricated patches, etc.

when you get tired on $4-5 a shot, get a Hawken Flintlock (they're cheap used ~$200 these days - everyone's going to inlines)
you can shoot for months with $10 worth of Roundball & FFg ;)

might even find a cheaper one, i.e.,
"I, Hatchet Jack, bein’ of sound mind and broke legs do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it....."

Great Jeremiah Johnson reference there. Yes, that is what I have in mind, kind of. I want the accuracy and ease of use of modern inlines, but the long lasting Yankee ingenuity/frugality of the flintlocks.

Make sure, wherever you go, there isn’t an itemized receipt for your wife to find.

A friend had a hell of a time explaining why he was buying things like: ball puller, nipple pick, nipple wrench, ball starter, lubricated patches, etc.

That there is pretty funny.

I shoot a .53 hawken with black powder and a patched round ball so Cabelas doesn't have anything I can use but they have lots of stuff that you can use. They're in Hudson/Berlin right off rt.62.

Back
Top Bottom