New to Muzzleloading! Any tips and where can I get ammo???

Hey Everyone!

(As it is relevant, I live in MASS about 30 minutes North of Boston and am licensed without restriction.)

I just picked up a CVA Wolf muzzleloader! Very excited about it and the prospect of hunting with it. I do not know anyone that shoots muzzleloaders so I have been doing a bunch of online research myself. Any tips and tricks from you guys/gals would be welcome! (Like, how often do I clean the breech plug, are there different transportation laws for muzzleloaders, etc.)

The only disheartening thing, I am having a real hard time finding ammo (read primer, powder, bullet). I went to a few stores and they didn't have any, including the local big box place. I assume that it is similar to center fire cartridges and ordering online to MA is just not going to happen, maybe I am wrong?
So does anyone know where I could possibly pick some up?

Last edited:
Muzzle loaders don’t use ammo but I know what you mean.
Have you reached out to Glenn’s ammo and reloading in North Reading or Patriot Arms in Ipswich? Those would be the places to check for black powder, bullets, and primers if you’re 30 min north of Boston.

Never been to Glenn's so I will definitely check that out! I like Patriot and the staff but never noticed muzzleloader stuff there before, although that was always before I had one haha.....

Thanks Andrew1220

Hey Everyone!

(As it is relevant, I live in MASS about 30 minutes North of Boston and am licensed without restriction.)

I just picked up a CVA Wolf muzzleloader! Very excited about it and the prospect of hunting with it. I do not know anyone that shoots muzzleloaders so I have been doing a bunch of online research myself. Any tips and tricks from you guys/gals would be welcome! (Like, how often do I clean the breech plug, are there different transportation laws for muzzleloaders, etc.)

The only disheartening thing, I am having a real hard time finding ammo (read primer, powder, bullet). I went to a few stores and they didn't have any, including the local big box place. I assume that it is similar to center fire cartridges and ordering online to MA is just not going to happen, maybe I am wrong?

Kittery Trading Post for Black Powder, Primers, etc.

And there are any number of good online sources for Balls and Wads, etc.

Brownells, Midwest, etc.

Kittery Trading Post sells CVA Wolf muzzleloaders, so they should have everything you need if Andrew's recommendations don't pan out.

Kittery Trading Post for Black Powder, Primers, etc.

And there are any number of good online sources for Balls and Wads, etc.

Brownells, Midwest, etc.
He's got a modern in line muzzle loader no balls or wads needed. Hell be looking for sabot projectiles more than likely. I knew what you meant......just didn't want to confuse the OP

Hey Everyone!

State line in plaistow nh usually has some 777 pellets and hornady sabots hanging around in the "off season". Right now most shops are low on black powder supplies because not many folks shoot em until just before deer season. Also another vote for kittery trading post they usually have some stock of smoke pole supplies year round.

As far as cleaning.....your going to get a bunch of opinions on this. I'll give you mine. Muzzle loaders need consistency to be accurate. Consistent charge.....consistent promo weight......consistent primer type......consistent bore condition. Note the last thing......consistent bore condition.......you be shooting at a deer with a clean bore right? I run a patch through my bore between every shot at the range when I'm zeroing and practicing. It takes time to do this but for my gun it greatly improves the shot groups. Also.....after 2 or 3 shots without swabbing the bore.....ramming the promo becomes a chore because of all the fouling. I remove the breech plug and run a patch from breech to muzzle between every shot.

Last edited:
I have found the best selection of pellets, primers, and projectiles at Cabela’s in East Hartford so you might check Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Muzzle Loaders is also a good source of projectiles:
Muzzle Loaders.com® Official Website

Powders and primers are harder to get online as they are expensive to ship due to the hazmat fee. The black powder guys at the clubs I have belonged to get together and order in bulk to save on the hazmat fee.

If you shoot loose powder you have a lot of flexibility in working up a load. If you are going to shoot pellets get a couple of different sizes so you can try different loads.

Bob

He's got a modern in line muzzle loader no balls or wads needed. Hell be looking for sabot projectiles more than likely. I knew what you meant......just didn't want to confuse the OP
Those can also be found at Dixie Gunworks. They ship to MA. I have been buying stuff from them for over 6 years now.

Hunter's Rendezvous in Pepperell will probably have everything you need.
Ugh ... those guys like to trick people into paying sales tax when you transfer a gun, and most of their guns are overpriced.

If you go there, be careful.

It is a shame, because that place has a lot of neat stuff.

Get yourself one of these to help cleaning the breach plug.

Clean the worst of the crud off the plug and soak it in there.
It has a little basket inside that makes it easy .
There is no such thing as too clean of a breech plug.
I recommend getting a spare one if you plan on doing a lot of range shooting with it.
Also a common pin is just about the right size to clean the touch hole out.
Don't ask how many times I've seen guys hunting that have just gotten a primer pop instead of a bang from a blocked touch hole.
It will ruin your day.
Also one of these for the end of the ramrod will improve your loading experience greatly.

The old Hawken style guns we would flush out with hot water , but it's really not necessary with the in-lines.
Pay attention to the thread area of the breech plug too and a little (emphasize little) dab of anti-seize on the threads after cleaning is good.
There is no need to go crazy tightening the breech plug either, finger tight and then a little snug with the wrench is plenty. You'll find out when you try and take it out later.

A speed loader

And a possibles bag and you should be in good shape.

On Bullets.
Don't go nuts buying one type till you figure out which ones shoot best in your rifle.
Mine loves the T/C super glide sabots and my buddy's gun likes the Hornadys .
Same rifle .

One thing I learned after my first season of muzzloader hunting that I’ll pass on is don’t just go for the pellets right off because they are easy. Blackhorn 209 powder only comes in loose form but it’s much better and really no harder to use. You just pre measure it into tubes.

It’s so much easier on the range because you can just keep loading without having to clean every few shots. It’s less corrosive than Pyrodex or Triple 7 or White Hots. And it cleans up with regular gun cleaning solvents. And unlike pellets or pyrodex it’s shelf stable. It isn’t absorbing moisture and losing potency after you open the container.

In a CVA you may need a Blackhorn specific breech plug (I did in an Optima) but they’re easy to get.

One thing I learned after my first season of muzzloader hunting that I’ll pass on is don’t just go for the pellets right off because they are easy. Blackhorn 209 powder only comes in loose form but it’s much better and really no harder to use. You just pre measure it into tubes.

It’s so much easier on the range because you can just keep loading without having to clean every few shots. It’s less corrosive than Pyrodex or Triple 7 or White Hots. And it cleans up with regular gun cleaning solvents. And unlike pellets or pyrodex it’s shelf stable. It isn’t absorbing moisture and losing potency after you open the container.

In a CVA you may need a Blackhorn specific breech plug (I did in an Optima) but they’re easy to get.
I agree with all except for being able to use "regular cleaning solvent" with 209. Yes blackhorn 209 recommends oil based cleaning solvents.....but why is that a bonus when I can clean my front stuffer with boiling water after using 777? Just sayin

Blackhorn 209 and federal bore lock bullets.can get them at walmart in season,or I can get them at bass pro also.

Last edited:
Never been to Glenn's so I will definitely check that out! I like Patriot and the staff but never noticed muzzleloader stuff there before, although that was always before I had one haha.....

Thanks Andrew1220
I only suggested Patriot since they sell smokeless powder and thought there's a chance they might carry muzzleloading powders? Not sure.

Its recommended to get a different plug when using bh209 but not required. I've always had good ignition and good accuracy with 777 pellets though. Easy to use, carry, and clean up with boiling water. With 209 you have to use solvents to clean......some guys like the 209 but I don't understand why.

Do I Need the Blackhorn™ Breech Plug for my CVA? | Muzzle-Loaders.com

I've never had any issues with triple seven pellets either.
There's a few dead deer that would testify to that.
As much as I loved my old Hawken , I'm enjoying the hell out of that Omega.

Back
Top Bottom