New Storage and Evil Toys

Well, it seems Santa finally brought me a storage cabinet to keep my growing collection... I have no clue how he snuck that through the chimney... Actually, I got the unit at Dick's Sporting Goods, pretty good price, and it seems to be pretty nicely made, though not very big. But I have to start somewhere...

safe1.jpg

safe2.jpg

I think the green color is pretty nice, and it seems solid enough for what I brought it for (keep curious people out and consolidate all my items).

safe3.jpg

These are the new tenants of the cabinet. For handguns, we have a Sig P229R in .40, two Para OPSes in .45, and a Glock 17 in 9mm. For rifles, there is the SOCOM 16 (upgraded to SOCOM II with extended cluster rail) with LaRue rings and bipod adapter, Harris bipod, and IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26 illuminated scope (this things was brought by santa too, it rocks!). Finally, there is the pre-ban AR15 Bushmaster Dissipator with SOCOM stock and Vortex flashhider.

safe4.jpg

safe5.jpg

safe6.jpg

Here is the new cabinet, seemingly packed to the gills... Though I think I can pack a few more rifles in there, maybe a nice shotgun and some hunting rifles... Though I'm not sure how wood would look next to my black rifles... The funny thing is, both my rifles are too short (16" barrels on both) to reach the barrel rests, I had to put empty pistol cases under the rifles to raise them up to the proper height...

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with sheet metal cabinets, Lets you stack em cheap and deep.[smile]

0300998a.jpg

For extra security though you can rivet heavy duty hasps with oversized steel washers for doubling up behind steel rivets and use bolt cutter proof heavy duty padlocks. Done right this extra step still keeps a neat appearance and gives you extra security over the tubular lock.

Hmmm

I'm not really that worried about security, as in theft, there are other deterrents at the house for that. This is more for people who are allowed into the house, that should not just blunder their way into my ammo or toys, knocking things over or leaving fingerprints really :p.

Eventually I'll get a safe, but only for fire/water situations, right now everything I have is replaceable, so I'll just depend on insurance. If I ever get something unique or old, I can no longer just hope to get another one with insurance money, so I'll definitely need to think about upgrading.

It wasn't too heavy at all, maybe like 150 to 200 lbs. Probably lighter. I single handedly got it out of the car and "walked" it into the house. I mean, I go the gym a lot, but I couldn't dead lift the thing, but i could definitely pick up one side of it. Basically, it isn't horrific like a Sentry fireproof safe, when this thing is empty you can rock it without straining yourself horribly. But on the other hand, it isn't very light either, would be a royal pain for someone to try to make off with it, especially since there are not places to grip the damn thing. Plus once you add the ammo and toys, it isn't going any place!

I basically think that is the best, that it is light enough to get into the house without breaking your back (I actually walked mine onto a rug and dragged the rug, which was pretty easy), but it is solid and heavy enough once you load it that no one is going to take it without smashing all the doorways and messing up their car. Two or three big guys could make off with maybe if you don't have a lot of ammo in there, but it would be tricky for sure, hopefully someone would get hurt badly :p

For extra security though you can rivet heavy duty hasps with oversized steel washers for doubling up behind steel rivets and use bolt cutter proof heavy duty padlocks. Done right this extra step still keeps a neat appearance and gives you extra security over the tubular lock.

I didn't use rivets, I used SS nuts and bolts. I double nutted the bolts so that they can't be removed without opening the door. I even found a black hasp at Lowes that looks very nice with the Green cabinet.

"Sure, and eight gun cabinet should be more than enough". [rofl]

Gary

Back
Top Bottom