New SKS owner with some questions...

Hello all,

Just picked up a Yugo SKS M59/66, cleaned the cosmo off and have a few questions on the gun:

1. I took the gun apart (first time ever field stripping a gun) and after about an hour of fumbling around with the bolt I finally got it back in and functioning. The bolt locks properly but I am having a hard time unlocking the bolt, but it unlocks easily if I open the magazine. Is there just some technique to unlocking the SKS bolt that I need to learn through practice or is something wrong?

2. How do I extend the bayonet from the folding position?

3. How do I remove the cleaning rod to use it?

Any help appreciated!

1) To release the bolt, hold the rifle butt between your arm and body, and with your right hand, pull back and hold the bolt while pressing with your left thumb on the spring the cartridges ride on (not sure of the name), and slowly release the bolt -- it'll close. Be careful not to squash your thumb.

2) The "handle of the bayonet is really a spring loaded sleeve. Pull it towards you and you can rotate the bayonet into paper-target charging mode.

3) When you rotate the bayonet half-way open, you can remove the rod. But, unless you have the accessory kit, you won't have everything you need to use it.

When the bolt handle is locked back, pull it back a little further and hold it. If you look inside just behind where the magazine follower is, you'll see a small bar that slides up and down. Thats the bolt hold open feature that allows the bolt to stay back while you load the gun. Only after the magazine follower is pressed down via bullets, screwdriver, finger, whatever, will you be able to pull back on the bolt and let it slide forward into firing position.
Just remember NEVER practice with live ammo! Get some snap caps if you're unsure about the rifle's operations.

Back
Top Bottom