• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New shooter looking to try some different platforms.

Hey guys, brand new here.
Well I'm overall a new shooter. Used tk shoot a bit of rifles with my buddies a while back but handguns are new to me. I'm located in CT and currently have my Temporary permit and have to wait till July for my appointment at state headquarters to get my official permit. During this time I'm saving money to have a nice good chunk to purchase any reasonably priced conceal carry gun.

So, in my class we were only given the opportunity to fire .22lr. while it seems fun to shoot, obviously not something I want to carry. Was wondering if anyone in the CT area would be willing to spend some range time with me showing me a few different platforms, and different calibers to see what I think might fit me best.

If someone is willing, I'd be more than happy to pay for some range time and ammunition.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any replys.

-Mike

Well I'm overall a new shooter. Used tk shoot a bit of rifles with my buddies a while back but handguns are new to me. I'm located in CT and currently have my Temporary permit and have to wait till July for my appointment at state headquarters to get my official permit. During this time I'm saving money to have a nice good chunk to purchase any reasonably priced conceal carry gun.

So, in my class we were only given the opportunity to fire .22lr. while it seems fun to shoot, obviously not something I want to carry. Was wondering if anyone in the CT area would be willing to spend some range time with me showing me a few different platforms, and different calibers to see what I think might fit me best.

If someone is willing, I'd be more than happy to pay for some range time and ammunition.

-Mike
Mike, I shoot at a club near/in Norfolk, and have various 9's and .45acp's. 1 compact .45, and subcompact/compact and full size 9's. I'd be willing to have you as a guest, providing you bear with my 20 minute safety/handling lesson, understand one violation of the basic rules means we're done (you know, finger off the trigger, muzzle downrange at all times etc., and I'm not being an ass, just understanding one mistake can change/end a life) and understand the price of ammo .....other thing is I shoot weekdays, as weekends have me thinking I might have to share the 320 acres [laugh2]...weekdays, usually 1-2 other people, often dispersed between trap and rifle as well. Much better way to pick up information as well, having the place quiet.
Other thing is to check a range out and rent a few. iirc, Hoffmans had/has a 10 shots for $10 thing going on.....personally, I hate the noise of indoor crowded places though.
Congrats on getting your permit, sucks having to wait 'til July...

Your "temporary" permit is a full fledged permit, it's just issued by your local authority. It has no restrictions on it.

As for shooting, where in CT are you? I should be up in New London/Groton/Waterford area around the beginning of May and I'll be shooting at my local clubs then - always room for another shooter.

Mike, I shoot at a club near/in Norfolk, and have various 9's and .45acp's. 1 compact .45, and subcompact/compact and full size 9's. I'd be willing to have you as a guest, providing you bear with my 20 minute safety/handling lesson, understand one violation of the basic rules means we're done (you know, finger off the trigger, muzzle downrange at all times etc., and I'm not being an ass, just understanding one mistake can change/end a life) and understand the price of ammo .....other thing is I shoot weekdays, as weekends have me thinking I might have to share the 320 acres [laugh2]...weekdays, usually 1-2 other people, often dispersed between trap and rifle as well. Much better way to pick up information as well, having the place quiet.
Other thing is to check a range out and rent a few. iirc, Hoffmans had/has a 10 shots for $10 thing going on.....personally, I hate the noise of indoor crowded places though.
Congrats on getting your permit, sucks having to wait 'til July...
I might take you up on that. And don't worry I completely understand you aren't being an ass. 1. You don't know me, and 2. You know I'm new to this. In actuality you'd see me more stuff and being extra careful not to break the 4 main rules of firearm safety.

If I was to take you up on that, what kind of money would be needed for ammunition? I know prices have gone up but have no real experience knowing how much is really spent on a range day?

Your "temporary" permit is a full fledged permit, it's just issued by your local authority. It has no restrictions on it.

As for shooting, where in CT are you? I should be up in New London/Groton/Waterford area around the beginning of May and I'll be shooting at my local clubs then - always room for another shooter.
This is a strange bit of information. Everywhere I can find just talks about the permit after you go to the headquarters. Because in the past you could basically pick up your temp then just drive to middletown and get your official one the same day. But with covid it's a bit different obviously. We've got to make an appointment and wait. I called hoffman's about the 10rounds for $10 thing but they seem to tell me I'd have to wait till I got my official permit... So this is a little of a grey area that I'm trying to figure out. Because of I can buy and start carrying, I want to ASAP

Also I'm located in farmington do pretty central and I don't mind driving.

Listen to this guy. He knows CT laws in and out, and loves to remind us all that he fled them to Georgia.

I might take you up on that. And don't worry I completely understand you aren't being an ass. 1. You don't know me, and 2. You know I'm new to this. In actuality you'd see me more stuff and being extra careful not to break the 4 main rules of firearm safety.

If I was to take you up on that, what kind of money would be needed for ammunition? I know prices have gone up but have no real experience knowing how much is really spent on a range day?
Bring $50, and that'll cover 100 rounds, mainly 9mm.(way cheaper than ammoseek.com or the NES schemers [mg] but I welcome new shooters. If you want to shoot more, no problem. 100 rounds can go quick, which is why I shoot a lot of .22lr lately ....as a guest, no charge for the range. Farmington, heck, I'm close , just up from Bristol.... Kind of busy coming up, new "get outta' this state and explore the free world" vehicle getting picked up wednesday, and a few projects before the house goes on the market, but we can take a couple hours to go no problem. My wife gets upset if I don't train regularly [rockon]

I sent a p.m. your way.

Last edited:

-Mike
Tou can always look to see whats going on at the clubs around you.
Theres often “intro” events
Tuesday night bulls eye shooting where thr club has a few pistols for new shooters to use.
CMP/NRA highpower some clubs offer rifles and ammo for new shooters to participate

CMP M1 garand clinics for example.

This is a strange bit of information. Everywhere I can find just talks about the permit after you go to the headquarters. Because in the past you could basically pick up your temp then just drive to middletown and get your official one the same day. But with covid it's a bit different obviously. We've got to make an appointment and wait. I called hoffman's about the 10rounds for $10 thing but they seem to tell me I'd have to wait till I got my official permit... So this is a little of a grey area that I'm trying to figure out. Because of I can buy and start carrying, I want to ASAP

Also I'm located in farmington do pretty central and I don't mind driving.

You probably already read this, but here is appointment information re trading in your temp permit for your 5 year permit:

I'm starting to rethink this. Sorry.

You absolutely can carry on your temporary permit. No question about that, it's good statewide, its limitation is the 60 (or 90) days it's issued for.

Doing some quick reading of the statutes, (and I'm certainly not a lawyer); I'm now not sure that you can purchase on it. You have to get a SLFU authorization number to purchase, and I don't know if they'll issue one on a temporary permit...

I guess the best way to answer this is to call Middletown and ask them directly if they'll authorize a purchase on your temp permit.
Office Hours
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit - HQ

1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290

• Monday through Friday: 8:30 am - 4:15 pm

You probably already read this, but here is appointment information re trading in your temp permit for your 5 year permit:

I'm starting to rethink this. Sorry.

You absolutely can carry on your temporary permit. No question about that, it's good statewide, its limitation is the 60 (or 90) days it's issued for.

Doing some quick reading of the statutes, (and I'm certainly not a lawyer); I'm now not sure that you can purchase on it. You have to get a SLFU authorization number to purchase, and I don't know if they'll issue one on a temporary permit...

I guess the best way to answer this is to call Middletown and ask them directly if they'll authorize a purchase on your temp permit.
Office Hours
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit - HQ

1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290

• Monday through Friday: 8:30 am - 4:15 pm
This is basically what we were taught in class about it. Like you can carry, hit you can't buy... Like oh that's nice

If you can make it down to SE CT, you can shoot here and reload (make your own ammo).
Private conversation for details.
I don't intend to be your total ammo, range and firearms provider, but you can satisfy your initial objectives.

My question is what happens when the temp permit expires and you haven't been scheduled to get your permanent one? I recall Middletown getting sued by the NRA, hah, just kidding..uh, GOA, a few years back for taking 6 months plus to schedule temp permitted people.

Back
Top Bottom