New Rifle Selection

I have been looking at buying a new rifle, and am intirested in the remingotn 700 LTR, I really like the 20 inch barrel length, as well as the accuracy, and light weight. I would like to find a rifle with, if not the same, similar features, with out the heafty price tag. Does anyone have any recomendations.

LR,

Do you want something similar to a 700 or do you want to find a 700 that isn't expensive?

I own 2 Rem 700's. I love'em. There are some out there that aren't all that bad. I got a brand new 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag for $450. Just need to look a little.

I just saw something on this new CZ rifle that says it will give you an under 6" group at a 1000 yards right out of the box.

But I have no idea what the price is going to be. But I'll see what I can find about it...I was going to post a thread on it...but we'll just talk about it here.

This is what they are saying.

The Ultimate Hunting Rifle Package

CZ introduces the Ultimate Hunting Rifle package, a rifle and optic combo that comes with an accuracy guarantee. CZ explains it as a 55 action with CZ components and then using improved technology to guarantee accuracy of less than one MOA at 600 yards from a mass production rifle.

Richard Venola is a gun writer and editor invited by CZ to shoot the Ultimate Hunting Rifle. His explanation: “It’s a conventional, classically designed, Mauser-based sporting rifle with a couple of very interesting touches. It’s quite accurate as we found out, extraordinarily accurate. One thing that really surprised me is that for a conventional straight-line stock with a rubber butt plate, is that I got tremendously low recoil impulse. It was a 300 Win-mag pushing a 200 grain bullet out and I felt like I was shooting a 270 Winchester. I don’t know what the magic is there, but it’s working.”

CZ has not yet quoted a price because the optics manufacturer has not been selected. The Ultimate Hunting Rifle will be sold, ready to shoot, out of the box. Suggested retail will be announced at the 2006 SHOT Show.

I'm shooting a Remington 700P in .223.......26 inch barrel w/ 1X9.
Paid $739 for it and $699 for the Leupold 4.5-14 scope.......Shoots better than I'll ever be able to.
My daughter shoots a Savage FP10 in .223. Very accurate right out of the box ( 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yds.). She ended up using a thumbhole stock from Brownell's because the original stock was a wee bit too "Tupperware-ish" and light weight for her. I think the rifle was $459 3 years ago. The stock was $189.
I always thought the Savage 12BVSS would make a nice rifle to start with, as long as you bought decent glass to go with it. Of course, you're still talking better than $700 for one of them. Spend a little more and go the 700P route.
Just my two sense worth............
CJC

If you are looking for something very close to the Remington 700 LTR with a 20 inch barrel, lightweight, etc. without compromising accurary, etc...I recommend strongly considering the Remington Model Seven. I've wanted one for a while, and just finally got it recently. I picked up the Model Seven in .243 with a laminated stock, and put a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 on it. It's very lightweight, 20" barrel with amazing accuracy you would expect from a Remington. I have no regrets, especially with the price I paid.

Price:

Remington Model Seven LS .243 = $600
Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 matte = $300
Leupold 2-piece base and rings = $40

Total $940

I ordered it up from Carl at Four Seasons...He had it for me the next day. I'll try and post a picture so you can see what it looks like...It's definitely beautiful.

I've said it once, and I will say it again...
I LOVE my Savage. Very smooth, accurate, and 10 cal's available... And the price is great. The Accu-Trigger, is absolutely wonderful, and fully adjustable!

pg12b_small.gif

Model 110GXP3 with ACCU - TRIGGER

OUR PRICE: $439.95

Offered in the ten most widely demanded hunting calibers, the 110GXP3 has Savage's famous out-of-the-box accuracy combined with a 3x9x32 factory mounted and boresighted scope and a one inch military style leather sling for easy carrying. Designed for convenience and quality, the 110GXP3 offers one of the best values in firearms available today. Ear plugs, trigger lock and target included. ALL YOU NEED IS AMMUNITION!

Also available with a durable synthetic stock and in left-hand models.

Geeez........I suppose what you plan on doing with the rifle will influence what you end up buying , huh?
I was thinking in a pure "target" sense because that's where my interests lie; the X-ring at 200, 300, or 600 yards.
Never really considered a "one rifle fits all" scenario.
CJC

thanks for all the input, now all I have to do is decide. Well I guess ill just have to shoot each one and see which i like the best, oh darn [wink]

Nickle said:
I also will recommend the Model Seven. My son has one. Another choice would be a Rem Model 600, if you can find one.

Remington has updated & re-issued the 600/660 as the Model 673 line. There are also good things to be said about the 2nd generation Model Seven line.

Personally, I'm quite happy with my Rem 660 in .308; though I might want a 25/06 if I'm ever hunting west of the Mississippi again.

The biggest reason I didn't mention the 673 is $. Much as I want a 673 in 350 Rem Mag, the barrel is too long, and the price higher than I'm willing to pay for it.

Nickle said:
The biggest reason I didn't mention the 673 is $. Much as I want a 673 in 350 Rem Mag, the barrel is too long, and the price higher than I'm willing to pay for it.

Understood! With the current price we'd have to pay for a 350Mag 600, I guess Remington figures they can charge even more for a 673.

Way I figure it, the Rem 673 350 Magnums will start showing up on the used shelves pretty soon, for the same reason the earlier version did: too much recoil for the infrequent shooter.

I expect it will be the same story as my Marlin 1895s.

Added later by edit: Just took a peek at KTP's used gun site. There is a used Model 7 KS in 350 Mag; but the price is over $800. Used. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom