• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Production Master, SS A

Congrats Jerry! Glad to see you made Master- you've worked your ass off for it.

Also- nice work to Chuck Z- he's on fire with his single stack! Shooting minor too. Nice.

Congratulations to Jerry and Chuck! Both of you have been tearing up the matches this year. Now, just don't quit like that Pistol Something-or-Other guy.[laugh]

Congratulations to Jerry and Chuck! Both of you have been tearing up the matches this year. Now, just don't quit like that Pistol Something-or-Other guy.[laugh]

Ouch...

Dan don't worry, I'll bust his balls so bad if he drops off. He has been complaining a little about his eyes and hands but that better not stop him!

Whose hands and eyes, Jerry's? Dave, after 40 or so, all our eyes start to be an issue one way or another. Hands, again, welcome to the aging process. Advil is our friend! Don't forget the knees, they go too. [grin]

Whose hands and eyes, Jerry's? Dave, after 40 or so, all our eyes start to be an issue one way or another. Hands, again, welcome to the aging process. Advil is our friend! Don't forget the knees, they go too. [grin]

I've had bad eyes since college. When people whine about getting +1.25 lenses or something like that I laugh. I'm +4.0, +3.50. It's really great that us people in our late 40s can be competitive.

I've had bad eyes since college. When people whine about getting +1.25 lenses or something like that I laugh. I'm +4.0, +3.50. It's really great that us people in our late 40s can be competitive.
That's nothing. I'm -12 and have been wearing glasses or contacts since age 8.

The problem isn't the correction as I correct to 20-20. The problem is when you get older and have presbyopia and can no longer focus on the front sight.

The problem isn't the correction as I correct to 20-20. The problem is when you get older and have presbyopia and can no longer focus on the front sight.

So I'm far sighted, you are near sighted... but at some point it all goes. My Dr keeps laughing at me as I haven't gone with bifocals yet! I've always had correction for close objects... When I can see a decent front sight though everyone looks blurry! I use mono visions contacts when I shoot- dominant eye set up for good close vision, non dominant eye for distance... works ok for now... my days are numbered though I'm sure. A dot is in my future.

Front sight focus is over rated

You use target focus? I've seldom been able to do that well except for very close range.

Let's see what Mike has to say about this. For me... the further the targets, the more clear the front sight needs to be. At 10 yds I'm definitely looking at my sights still, even at 7 yards... but I don't think my focus is as strong as say the 20 yd shots. I only use target focus on targets about 3 yards and closer- and even then I still see them. My problem is my horizontal hold is usually good... I tend to break shots when the front sight is centered laterally... but sometimes the post is high or low in the notch.

Let's see what Mike has to say about this. For me... the further the targets, the more clear the front sight needs to be. At 10 yds I'm definitely looking at my sights still, even at 7 yards... but I don't think my focus is as strong as say the 20 yd shots. I only use target focus on targets about 3 yards and closer- and even then I still see them.
That's pretty much what I try to do.

Let's see what Mike has to say about this. For me... the further the targets, the more clear the front sight needs to be. At 10 yds I'm definitely looking at my sights still, even at 7 yards... but I don't think my focus is as strong as say the 20 yd shots. I only use target focus on targets about 3 yards and closer- and even then I still see them. My problem is my horizontal hold is usually good... I tend to break shots when the front sight is centered laterally... but sometimes the post is high or low in the notch.

yep, I never have a crisp front sight,

Close in out to 7 yards, I index off the slide. Getting further out, I use a blurry front sight indexed off the head off the target. I don't see my rear sight at all

Out to 15 and beyond or difficult shots, the front sight is still blurry but now I line it up with the rear notch and use a blurry a sight picture

I recently shot out to 100 yards at a 12" plates, hit ratio was better with target focus. When I tried to focus on my front sight, I couldn't find the target very well.

I know we are getting a little off topic but I wanted mention something- there are plenty of top shooters- GMs and such- that also say your front sights should "razor sharp". Here's a quote: " Forget that target focus up close stuff crap... there are Masters that shouldn't be doing that." Importantly you need to trust your sights... and shouldn't look for hits on paper- call your shots.

Of course.. easier said than done right?

There are top GMs that don't always you a strict front sight focus also. And some that use target focus all the time.

I can call my shots with a blurry sight picture, I can call them with a index off the slide. Seeing the hits is a time killer no matter what focus you use

Why not start another thread.......

and just say to these guys:
GREAT JOB & Congrats!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom