New Navy Rules for Personal Firearms

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
New Navy Rules for Personal Firearms

The Navy has announced a policy change regarding personal firearms. One highlight of the new policy is the ability for all Sailors to store their personal firearms in base housing or armories (when space is available), as long as they receive prior written approval from the installation commanding officer. Weapons must be stored in a locked container, a locked gun rack, or secured with approved trigger locks to keep the weapon from firing. Weapons are still prohibited in other on-base locations. The policy also clarifies that Sailors must comply with all federal, state, and local laws, and that concealed weapons are never allowed on Navy installations, regardless of local law. The NAVADMIN detailing the new policy is available here http://www.persnet.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/BCB24012-BC52-4E88-B20F-A509B1C744B7/0/NAV10196.txt

http://www.military.com/military-report/new-navy-rules-for-personal-firearms?ESRC=miltrep.nl

The part after the comma makes this a lot less impressive.
The Navy has announced a policy change regarding personal firearms. One highlight of the new policy is the ability for all Sailors to store their personal firearms in base housing or armories (when space is available), as long as they receive prior written approval from the installation commanding officer. Weapons must be stored in a locked container, a locked gun rack, or secured with approved trigger locks to keep the weapon from firing. Weapons are still prohibited in other on-base locations. The policy also clarifies that Sailors must comply with all federal, state, and local laws, and that concealed weapons are never allowed on Navy installations, regardless of local law. The NAVADMIN detailing the new policy is available here http://www.persnet.navy.mil/NR/rdonl...0/NAV10196.txt

And never mind that most of the "base housing" I saw while out in SD was off base anyways...

Last edited:
is this new?

these policies are DoD wide as far as I knew (or thought).

*or* it's the typical "knee-jerk" reaction by Sr. Officials to CYA

RMKS/1. MISHAPS INVOLVING PERSONAL FIREARMS HAVE RESULTED IN SERIOUS INJURY
AND DEATH. IN FY08, AT LEAST 28 ACTS OF SAILOR MISCONDUCT OR SUICIDE OCCURRED
ONBOARD NAVY INSTALLATIONS, AND ANOTHER 111 SUCH INCIDENTS OCCURRED OFF-BASE;
26 RESULTED IN DEATH. THIS MESSAGE SUMMARIZES RECENT CHANGES IN POLICY
INTENDED TO PREVENT THESE TRAGIC MISHAPS.

2. A RECENT REVIEW OF FIREARMS POLICY RESULTED IN UPDATED GUIDANCE FOR THE
INTRODUCTION, POSSESSION, AND STORAGE OF PERSONAL WEAPONS ONBOARD NAVY
INSTALLATIONS. REF A ESTABLISHES MINIMUM REGISTRATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY
REQUIREMENTS, AND DIRECTS INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICERS TO ESTABLISH A
PROCESS FOR THE STRICT CONTROL AND ACCOUNTABILITY OF PERSONAL FIREARMS
AUTHORIZED ONBOARD NAVY INSTALLATIONS. AN IMPORTANT CHANGE IN POLICY IS THAT
SAILORS MAY NOW STORE PERSONAL WEAPONS IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS ONBOARD NAVY
INSTALLATIONS UNDER CAREFULLY CONTROLLED CIRCUMSTANCES AND WITH THE PRIOR
WRITTEN APPROVAL OF THE INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICER.

We could never bring them aboard ships!

I can remember that while we were deployed to the Med a Marine bought a rifle while we were in Italy. I believe it was a Berretta. Anyway, he was allowed to store it on board, locked up in the ship's small arms locker (armory). This was back in the '60's of the Twentieth Century. I can remember oogling it while I was having a cup of Joe in the gun shack. Beautiful rifle is all I remember. I guess he removed the rifle when we got back to the States.

I don't remember this being new. So long as the command said you could have a "personal" firearm in your on base residence you could. Very rare, but possible.

Interesting find.

I can remember having and storing my personal firearms in base housing on McChord AFB in the early 1980's. Of course I was practising "Don't ask, don't tell" in regards to them. Except for the fact that I sold a nice Browning Hi-Power to one of the Air Force docs in the kitchen of my base housing.

Wish I had that pistol back now.

The part after the comma makes this a lot less impressive.

The Installation Commander's approval is required to store Privately Owned Weapons in the armory. It's the same in the Army, the Commanding Officer that "owns" the Arms Room has to approve all POW's stored there. By approving the POW, the Commanding Officer assumes responsibility for them as well.

I used to have to inventory the POW's in the Unit Arms Room.

I love the Navy. The best taxi service in the world. The Air Farce breaks down too often and can't fly in the rain either. :D

Doug

The Installation Commander's approval is required to store Privately Owned Weapons in the armory. It's the same in the Army, the Commanding Officer that "owns" the Arms Room has to approve all POW's stored there. By approving the POW, the Commanding Officer assumes responsibility for them as well.

I used to have to inventory the POW's in the Unit Arms Room.

I love the Navy. The best taxi service in the world. The Air Farce breaks down too often and can't fly in the rain either. :D

Doug

Same in the Marines as well. Our battalion commander just said "no, and don't ask again."

the only new thing i can tell is all sailors who own private weapons are required to complete some online safety course developed by the naval safety center.

as far as the navy is concerned, i don't own any weapons.

Well, an improvement I guess? I don't understand why our servicemen and women are not armed all the time, or at least allowed to be. If there hadn't been these disarmament policies, that nutjob islamoterrorist at Ft. Hood would've been gunned down sooner and the number of innocents killed would have been minimized.

Oh I'm sorry, he's not a terrorist because Obama doesn't think so.

Back
Top Bottom