New Mossberg 590 8+1 only holds 7 in the tube?

Hey guys,

Got some ammo for my 590 today (2.75" 00 buck), and discovered that I can only fit about 7.5 shells in the tube. This is definitely an 8+1 (20" barrel) 590.

Now, I'm guessing this is related but I live in MA. The shotgun came with a dowel in the tube that limited capacity to 5 shells at first. This is due to tiered licensing in MA, shotguns are limited to a capacity of 5 unless you have the highest class license - which I do.

So I unscrewed the magazine tube cap, removed the magazine spring cap and spring, removed the dowel and reinstalled the same way. Holds just over 7.5 now. Weird? Do I need a shorter spring or something? I tried pushing it pretty hard - it's not moving past a little bit more than 1/2 on the 8th shell.

Anyone ever have this experience? Mind boggling.

Dope

I have a 590 special purpose and it holds 8.5... that is, the 8th shell goes in the tube and there is still a little play but not enough for a 9th. Sounds like something else is still in the tube...

Is it possible the 2.75 inch shells you are using are a wee bit longer than that?

Now, I'm guessing this is related but I live in MA. The shotgun came with a dowel in the tube that limited capacity to 5 shells at first. This is due to tiered licensing in MA, shotguns are limited to a capacity of 5 unless you have the highest class license - which I do.

No, you can have a full tube even with an FID in MA.

The only reason that plug is in there is because a shitload of hunting
regs in the US specify 5 rounds or less, some are 3 or less.
I don't know why they don't just give you a package with it that
has plugs in it or something and leave it open by default.

-Mike

I have a 590 special purpose and it holds 8.5... that is, the 8th shell goes in the tube and there is still a little play but not enough for a 9th. Sounds like something else is still in the tube...

Huh ..you need to put one in the chamber!

Huh ..you need to put one in the chamber!

Oh mine will hold all 9! (at 2.75") [devil2][mg] No problems there... I just don't store it with one in the pipe, but you can bet the tube is full! The 9th stays up on the shelf and goes in the tube as soon as it get racked.[wink]

As someone said, there is a 5 shell rule when it comes to hunting with a shotgun. That said, have you taken the barrel off and looked down the shell tube? Is it completely hollow? This issue intrigues me. The capacity of this bad boy is half the fun!

Back
Top Bottom