• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

new M&PShield 45 .. WOW

I haven't shot my Shield 45 yet. I decided to drop it off with Dave Santurri today for a trigger job and for TruGlo TFX Pro sights first. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

today did a range comparison with the following:

Shield 45
Shield 9 w apex kit (wife's gun)
Kahr CM9 (wife's gun)
Glock 43

as usual, the glock 43 and kahr CM9 are a natural fit for me. very easy to shoot and pleasant. could shoot them all day long. then I go to the M&P shield 9 and i'm reminded why I sold my shield 9. it just doesn't feel natural in my hand. grip is too short for all 3 fingers but too long for just 2 finger grip, so I find myself constantly adjusting my grip in between shots. I've tried pearce pinky extension, extended magazine, talon grips and still it's not a natural fit. The shield 9 is obviously a fantastic pistol and dead nuts reliable, but just doesn't fit my hand correctly.

so when I heard the Shield 45 was coming out I thought nothing of it. ~2 months ago a range buddy of mine just picked one up and we were shooting each other's pistols, so I figured what the hell lets try the shield 45. much to my surprise, I felt totally natural in my hand. very pleasant shooting experience and my natural point of aim was spot on.

despite being impressed with the Shield 45, I had no intention to purchase one until the rebate was announced. then I just couldn't say no. compared to the HK45, it has more recoil but still nothing to complain about. going up to HST 230gr +P rounds, it's a bit snappy but could still shoot it all day long.

Here's 15 rounds rapid fire at 7 yards. I'm not so sure this shield 45 will replace my beloved G32 or G26 for carry options, but it's definitely a keeper. trigger is stock so called "MA model"...and it needs zero work, it's perfect.

shield_45.jpg

Last edited:
Thats awsome, happy to hear it worked out for you .... that target looks like what I call DOA !

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Oh ya, I don't think I'm going to do an Apex kit either, no doubt I can get the trigger pull down to 4-5lbs with it, but I think I'm going to put 4-500 rds through it 1st and see how it performs..

Just buy the standard M&P trigger return spring.. it $2 bucks most places... swap that spring and you turn your shield into a free state shield. Trigger new should be around 7-8 lbs in my experience. Probably breaks into to around 6.5 lbs.. very nice...

Anybody else notice really stiff magazine springs?

just keep shooting it. the springs soften up. after a few hundred rounds my mags now load by hand easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Mag springs are horrible
Two words:
MAGLULA UPLULA

while my uplula is always with me at the range, these single stack mags rarely need an uplula. just shoot your 45shield and the springs will lighten up quite a bit.

despite being impressed with the Shield 45, I had no intention to purchase one until the rebate was announced. then I just couldn't say no. compared to the HK45, it has more recoil but still nothing to complain about. going up to HST 230gr +P rounds, it's a bit snappy but could still shoot it all day long.

Here's 15 rounds rapid fire at 7 yards. I'm not so sure this shield 45 will replace my beloved G32 or G26 for carry options, but it's definitely a keeper. trigger is stock so called "MA model"...and it needs zero work, it's perfect.

View attachment 195939

I had no intention of buying one either based on my experience shooting other people's 9mm and .40 Shields. However, with the rebate I couldn't resist, and figured it was worth it even if it needed an Apex kit. After buying and dry firing with it, I thought the grip texture was way too aggressive. I also did'nt expect much accuracy to speak of with only a 3.3" barrel.

After firing it, I was wrong on all accounts. The grip texture did not bother me at all, so I can continue to use my wife's hand cream. With the 10# trigger that didn't feel like 10# (if that makes sense), the Shield is almost as accurate as my Glock 30S with a longer barrel. The Shield is the same size as my G27, but a lot thinner (although it has a longer grip than the G27). In warm weather, if it proves to be reliable, it will replace my G27 at times.

On range day, I shot 112 rounds, 50 blazer brass, 50 Blazer aluminum, and 12 Federal hydo-shok rounds. I had 2 failures to feed, one with aluminum case and the other with brass (none with the SD rounds). However, I carry Golden Saber bonded ammo that I haven't tried yet in the Shield.

With the first target, I was just trying to get the feel of the gun, and since the FBI states that 95% of gun encounters are 21' or less, I also shot at 7 yards. The first target, I was just trying to get a feel for where the gun was firing. Holding on 6 on the black bull's eye, the gun was shooting high. The recoil was very manageable and a non-factor. On the second target, I held aim at the bottom line of the 8 ring. Only 6 rounds of the 50 were not part of the overall group of 50, so I was pretty happy with that. On this target, I also shot the Federal .45 SD rounds rapid fire holding aim at the bottom of the 6 ring.

As far as I'm concerned, this gun is a keeper even without doing an Apex job on it, and I expect that i will do better with it (if it's reliable).

.45 Shield 4_8_17 first target 001.jpg

.45 Shield 4_8_17 001.jpg

today did a range comparison with the following:

... Here's 15 rounds rapid fire at 7 yards. I'm not so sure this shield 45 will replace my beloved G32 or G26 for carry options, but it's definitely a keeper. trigger is stock so called "MA model"...and it needs zero work, it's perfect.

Would you happen to know the model number of that version you've got?

thanks

View attachment 196311

2nd trip to the range with the Shield 45acp. This time @ 21 yards. These eyes of mine are 71 years old, I am sure you younger guys could do a lot better. Zero problems with the gun, reloads and 3 different types of factory stuff.

Wow. Just got my Shield 45 back from Dave Santurri this afternoon after an Apex kit, trigger job and TruGlo TFX Pro's being installed. Smooth as butter!! Can't wait to get to the range.

Wow. Just got my Shield 45 back from Dave Santurri this afternoon after an Apex kit, trigger job and TruGlo TFX Pro's being installed. Smooth as butter!! Can't wait to get to the range.

Apex + a trigger job?

I just put the apex kit in mine the other night (along with the aluminum trigger). What a difference. I love it.

Ran a few boxes through after installing the apex and xs sights. Oh so much better! But I have a question on the primer impacts. The are consistently smeared. Is this anything to worry about?
5f79d5d7009321d3597ed9ace24343b8.jpg

Ran a few boxes through after installing the apex and xs sights. Oh so much better! But I have a question on the primer impacts. The are consistently smeared. Is this anything to worry about?
No, my brass looks the same. Read a thread on the S&W forum, apparently the 9MM also leaves a similar dent and were told it was nothing.

Almost looks like it is beginning to eject while firing pin is still out...

They primer strikes look the same as from my .45 Shield.

I can buy another gun
I can buy another gun
I can buy another gun

Fixed it 4 u... ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

No, my brass looks the same. Read a thread on the S&W forum, apparently the 9MM also leaves a similar dent and were told it was nothing.

They primer strikes look the same as from my .45 Shield.

On the M&P Forum they called them "Drag Marks" and is not uncommon on 45 auto's where the barrel tilts downward when ejecting the shell.

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better.

Almost looks like it is beginning to eject while firing pin is still out...
That's exactly it.

Nooo. Fixing it for me would be sending me the money to buy one. ;)
I have only ever owned .45's that are 1911's. For 16 years. This is the first time I'm real tempted to buy one that isn't.

THE STARS ARE ALIGNED!!! You won't regret it... love my 1911's, a little heavy and bulky to carry. Cheap money for the Shield and it performs amazingly! If you don't mind putting a few bucks into it, you have a trigger similar to a 1911 if you so choose. If not, the factory trigger on this little gem is a pretty darn good trigger for a Ma trigger..

Nooo. Fixing it for me would be sending me the money to buy one. ;)
I have only ever owned .45's that are 1911's. For 16 years. This is the first time I'm real tempted to buy one that isn't.

My pro series 1911 commander is very nearly the same physical size, but it just doesn't carry as well. The reduced weight of the shield made it my daily carry over the 1911. That and I wont feel too bad if it gets worn and banged up whereas the 1911 is just too pretty.

172544.jpg

S&W would save me a step it they just replaced the firing pin with a decapper...

Back
Top Bottom