• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New in CT

New to competitive shooting, confused by all the different classes and rules.

I'm looking for some fun, semi competitive shooting and just don't know where to start.

I was leaning towards a rifle along the Savage heavy barrel varmit type rifle in 308 to start.

appreciate any guidance

I'd suggest attending several types of meets as a spectator, watch and ask questions. There are different types of competition, and different types of rifles required for different types of competition , so I would say invest in the firearm AFTER you decide which type of competition interests you the most...for example, there are a lot of CMP training sessions held in the Spring, for first timers, where rifles are supplied.....CMP requires a service rifle - Ar15, M1a, or Garand.....The advantage of competing with a Garand in these is that you can also compete in the "WWII Military" meets, which are also more fun than competitive...Spring is coming, so a new year of competition meets for you to check out. Look at the different schedules posted.

Thanks for the reply, I would really like to go to a bunch of different meets, but knowing my restraints, I would like to narrow the field a little. If the only way to be competitive in a meet is with unlimited funds, custom reloading equipment, and a $10,000 rifle, thats way out of what I'm looking for.
CMP? don't even know what that is yet.
What I'm interested in, and I don't even know if it exists is relaxed, sport competition, using "off the rack" type rifles at ranges to 600+ yards. You know of anything along those lines?

You can look for mid range matches. These are 15 shots for record unlimited sighters, shot at 300,500 and 600 yds. Any rifle you want under .33 any sights, scope or irons. Shot from prone. You can even use a bipod if you want

for CMP info:

http://www.odcmp.org

I know both Reading Rifle and Revolver, and NFGA hold CMP training sessions in the spring, check their hi-power schedules.

the 50 round course of fire for a CMP meet..if I remember correctly
uses 0 Ar15, M1a, or Garand - service rifle, iron sights

200 yards - 10 rounds standing off hand, slow fire 10 minutes

300 yards

10 rounds ( 2,8) rapid fire 60 seconds standing to sitting
10 rounds rapid fire 70 seconds standing to prone

600 yards
20 rounds slow fire prone 20 minutes

I do not know of any clubs with ranges longer than 600 yards around the Mass/New Hampshire area.

ok lets see if I have the rules, according to 3.3 service rifle, a Bushmaster target with a 24" barrel would be ok for CMP, and then by adding a scope and bipod I could then shoot in "any"?

Thanks for all the help and putting up with the stupid questions

John:

For service rifle, you have to use a standard 20" AR, no muzzle brake, standard iron sights, no scope and no bipod.

You could shoot your bushmaster in match rifle, but no scope and no bipod allowed.

Last edited:
Welcome fellow Nutmeger. As of now I am TDY at Fort Indian Town Gap in PA. I will be here till the end of march. Just intime to get back and go to the ranges.

Back
Top Bottom