New Glock 46 with ROTATING Barrel.... Hmmmmm

There is number of guns with rotating barrel on the market. Grand power and Beretta first come to mind.

What I want to know is "why"
I assume that Glock must believe this offers some advantage, or have secured some really lucrative contract, to try something so different, but I'm not sure how much difference this could make.

Meh. A lot of times companies will file patents because they want to secure IP. Let's face it. The r and d guys at Glock are probably bored. "Let's change the polymer composition to use unobtainium fibers 5mm in length instead of 4.5mm. And shoot the frame under Thermal ir to look for stress points."

Hell, I'd be trying to design new machanisms all the time. My design for a Glock 407 requires an APU though.

Meh. A lot of times companies will file patents because they want to secure IP. Let's face it. The r and d guys at Glock are probably bored. "Let's change the polymer composition to use unobtainium fibers 5mm in length instead of 4.5mm. And shoot the frame under Thermal ir to look for stress points."

Hell, I'd be trying to design new machanisms all the time. My design for a Glock 407 requires an APU though.

Bingo. Design and build it before someone else does, even if you don't plan on ever releasing it yourself.

They need to concentrate on making the Glock 7 a reality, many terrorists need to book plane tickets but can't because their regular Glocks won't get by security

Theoretical benefits of rotating barrel include lower bore axis - better recoil management, better accuracy due to tighter lock-up with the slide, compared with tilting barrel design. No ramp, supposedly more reliable feeding. Based on personal experience I tend to believe it

untitled1.png

Don't forget that Devil is always in the details, and poor execution can kill the best theoretical design.
BTW, don't confuse this picture with Glock.

Last edited:
Theoretical benefits of rotating barrel include lower bore axis - better recoil management, better accuracy due to tighter lock-up with the slide, compared with tilting barrel design. No ramp, supposedly more reliable feeding. Based on personal experience I tend to believe it

Doesn't Kahr use rotating barrels? Do the above effects prove out with them?

Doesn't Kahr use rotating barrels? Do the above effects prove out with them?

No, they don't, but they do have a camming trigger that's patented I believe. That was the other thing I was thinking of- as a secondary objective, some grasping attempt by Glock to try to reduce the OAL of the gun somehow....

-Mike

A bit more hunting found a claim that, in order to pursue a German Police trial, they need a model than can be field-stripped without pressing the trigger.
Apparently this is their idea.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27752-Glock-46
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/724ilg/glock_46_a_glock_19_with_a_rotating_barrel/

that's probably the likely reason.

a good number of guns use rotating barrel, Russian GSh comes to mind. The patent system is bullshit at this point. I really want to see something that's new and some bullshit they can squeak by the patent office so that they could tie up competitors in courts by throwing enough money.

Years ago, when they first came out, I tried a Beretta Cougar or whateveritwas that was rotating bbl. In 9mm. Size and weight was comparable to my Glock at the time. I could discern no noticeable change in recoil between the guns.

Back
Top Bottom