New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hi I'm David, I live in Milton, MA and I study engineering at Wentworth. I've been shooting for about 5 years now but I've always loved guns. Something about the engineering and sheer genius involved to create modern weaponry always intrigued me. I recently got my LTC-A and my cousin recommended this site so I decided to join up. So far my experience with people on this site has been nothing but pleasant. Honestly a great asset to anyone who owns a gun and wants more, or needs some buried info.
Hi David...I grew up in Milton. Off of Brook rd., and not far from Cunningham Park. Welcome aboard. You're right, great folks here with tons of experience and advice to offer. Congrats on the LTC. :)

Hi...new member from Norwalk, CT. Long time pistol owner looking at my first "other" and trying to understand the laws around building vs buying. So much misinformation online, but found this site to be a great source of clear info. Looking forward to exploring more.

Thanks,

Scott

I am a nobody Pro2A person. I try hard to keep politics out of my posts, the the climate around us is rough these days.

Cheers,
Dwayne.

Welcome to NES, Dwayne. Happy to have you here. Everybody is somebody to someone. See you around the forum!

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi...new member from Norwalk, CT. Long time pistol owner looking at my first "other" and trying to understand the laws around building vs buying. So much misinformation online, but found this site to be a great source of clear info. Looking forward to exploring more.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott, welcome to the community. Thanks for the intro post. Glad to hear that you've found NES to be very useful. There's so much to take in. Just don't forget that people on the internet are... just people on the internet. They can be great resources but trust yourself in finding and verifying accurate and correct information. With that said, I think the majority of people here are always trying to help. Some may be confused with the info though, again, not anything malicious, it just kinda happens. Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

It is awesome to have you all as new members! Welcome! and feel free to ask questions.
We'll help when we can; or at least point you in the right direction. [smile]

Happy to have you aboard,
~Enbloc
Looking to join Cape Ann Sportsmen and found this on their page " non-jacketed (lead only) pistol calibers up to .45 may be used" - is that true? Kind of strange as I have never seen non jacketed .45 or 9 or .40. Any onfo? Thanks.

Looking to join Cape Ann Sportsmen and found this on their page " non-jacketed (lead only) pistol calibers up to .45 may be used" - is that true? Kind of strange as I have never seen non jacketed .45 or 9 or .40. Any onfo? Thanks.
Oh, sure. Mostly from reloading Lead Round Nose, but you can find non-jacketed commercial ammo.
Well, you used to be able. Now finding any 9mm/.40/.45 is tougher...

Also: That Rule may only be for their "Indoor Range", due to the type of backstop or an attempt to reduce injuries/damage from spalling.
LEAD only can have its own issues with "Splash" (Make sure you have good eye protection as well as hearing protection)
Outdoor range may not have the same Rule... (Check with a BoD member first)

1611330681472.png 1611330773169.png

Plus, you should find out if Copper-Plated or 'copper-washed' ammo is OK.
It is different than "Jacketed"...

1611330948069.png 1611330986034.png

1611331257785.png 1611331322942.png 1611331394125.png

~Enbloc

Last edited:
hey all,

new here from Central MA. I've been lurking for a while and reading through a bunch of stuff - been waiting since Sept for my ltc and just got word it was sent back to my local PD last week so it should be in my hands shortly, fingers crossed.

I've been a fan of guns and shooting for a while but never made the effort to go get my ltc like a dummy, paying for it now with all the wait times and prices! looking forward to exploring and learning more !

hey all,

new here from Central MA. I've been lurking for a while and reading through a bunch of stuff - been waiting since Sept for my ltc and just got word it was sent back to my local PD last week so it should be in my hands shortly, fingers crossed.

I've been a fan of guns and shooting for a while but never made the effort to go get my ltc like a dummy, paying for it now with all the wait times and prices! looking forward to exploring and learning more !
Hi esmitty, welcome to NES. Happy to have you here. Many folks are also in the central MA area. Hoping you get your LTC soon as well. Be sure to tell us what your first one is when you bring her home.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi esmitty, welcome to NES. Happy to have you here. Many folks are also in the central MA area. Hoping you get your LTC soon as well. Be sure to tell us what your first one is when you bring her home.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
Thanks for the welcome!

Currently looking at the springfield XD-S mod 2 9mm, but she won't be the only purchase I make over the next few months that's for sure :)

Oh, sure. Mostly from reloading Lead Round Nose, but you can find non-jacketed commercial ammo.

Also: That Rule may only be for their "Indoor Range", due to the type of backstop or an attempt to reduce injuries/damage from spalling.
LEAD only can have its own issues with "Splash" (Make sure you have good eye protection as well as hearing protection)

View attachment 439443View attachment 439444

View attachment 439446View attachment 439447

View attachment 439451View attachment 439453View attachment 439454

~Enbloc
Had to drop reloading after moving into apartment. Have NOT seen any Tula ammo for a while especially after Walmart stopped selling ammo, and would not use it in my pistols as it is so dirty it gummed up everything - my 1911 stopped cycling after few rounds. Anyway - just wonder if it is an old rule not updated for years...

Hey. Great forum. Been on for a few months gaining knowledge.
Always Supported 2A just was never for me. Events of past year changed that.

Past 6 months took Safety Course, applied for and received LTC Unrestricted in MA, additional training with former LEO, spent time at the range and of course watched countless YouTube videos.

Spent first 50 years of my life with no interest in firearms and to be honest they made me nervous. Now very comfortable around them and kind of addicted!

Have a Sig P365, Taurus G3C and on hunt for next one.

I do have a question about Glocks in Massachusetts....just kidding!

Past 6 months took Safety Course, applied for and received LTC Unrestricted in MA, additional training with former LEO, spent time at the range and of course watched countless YouTube videos.

Spent first 50 years of my life with no interest in firearms and to be honest they made me nervous. Now very comfortable around them and kind of addicted!

The shooting sports are some of the most rewarding sports I have participated in. I am fortunate to have been shooting my entire life.
I'm glad to see you are hooked. See you around the boards.

Welcome to NES. Great post.

View attachment 439443View attachment 439444

View attachment 439446View attachment 439447

View attachment 439451View attachment 439453View attachment 439454

~Enbloc
What is wrong with this .40S&W ammo that I see a lot of jokes and memes about?

. 40 S&W is the red-headed step child of the ammo world. Some people feel it was designed to fill a need that never existed, fill the gap between the "weak" 9mm and the "fat and outdated" 45 ACP.

Also, there was a small period of time when the 40 S&W was the "go-to" popular carry pistol caliber.

It went thru a phase of being the "latest and greatest" trend for pistols and many LEO duty guns.

Also, many new gun owners went out and purchased their first LTC and EDC firearm in 40 S&W .... because the "LGS salesperson recommended" it.

That being said, the 40 S&W is still no where near as looked down upon as the honorable 45 GAP.

Anyways, the firearms community goes thru many many different "trends".

For at least the past year, the "hot" and "it" carry pistol has been the single stack micro 9mm.

The above being said, this is an expensive hobby ..... if you let it be that.

Welcome to the community.

Hi All
Been lurking in the shadows for a while after stumbling upon NES a few years ago while applying for my LTC. I figured with all the info and advice I’ve gotten I should register and contribute what I can.
Thanks, Matt
Hi Matt,

Welcome to NES. Great to have you here and looking forwarding to your posts around the forum. Happy that this community could provide you advice and information to use. Thank you for being a green member. Your support for the site is appreciated.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi all,

I’m new here and love the community. I’ve been learning a lot this last year!

Hi GenderBender, welcome to NES. Happy you're learning a lot. There can never be too much knowledge. Consider becoming a green (paid) member at some point. Not only will it support the site, you will also be able to get a chance to enter in giveaways and win stuff like this month's Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. There's also members only threads, classifieds, etc. Here's a link if you're interested for more information: NES Memberships

See you around.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi all,

Question, I dropped my application off 11/18/2020 and have not heard a word from Waltham PD. I called the state hotline to check the status and they have no record of it. What do I do?

Hey all,

Just dropped off my application 2/6 in Melrose, MA so now we wait. Been interested in this for a long time and finally got around to doing it. Looking forward to a new hobby, new friends, and more education.

I am leaning towards a P320, VP9, or 92FS for my first gun. Any thoughts on these vs others? Recommendations for something else?
Any good resources for more gun education, not shooting, but the guns themselves?
I plan on getting further training once I get my first gun, anything to look for in a training program?

Is anyone else having luck getting their LTC in Waltham? I dropped my application off 11/18/2020 and they said everything is on hold until further notice due to COVID. Is that even allowed?
Applied in june 2020 got it October 2020. Ltc unrestricted. They didn't even have the option for a restricted so it's safe to say waltham is no longer a red city/town for ltc. When I went in to pick up mine they had a stack of applicants that were approved.

Back
Top Bottom