New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hi Everyone! I'm in Bridgewater. Currently I don't own a gun. I've been thinking about it for a long time now and given current events combined with the November election, I figure it's time to stop thinking and start doing. I found this site while researching the regulations/process for ownership in MA and it looked like a great resource. I have lots of questions and will be spending time searching through threads to see what I can learn before posting anything. Looking forward to finding out what I need to know and finally doing what should have been done long ago. Thanks!

Welcome. If you've been researching gun ownership in Mass, you have probably discovered it can be a long process. Spend your wait time wisely by reading through some of the well established threads here. The information you'll glean here most likely won't be taught in your basic firearms course. Arming yourself first with knowledge will ensure safety, as well as competency when answering the question friends and family will inevitably ask. "Why do you need a gun?"

New here, been lurking. Bought a few things. So far it's been all good.

Welcome!

Hopefully you are considering joining the NRA, GOAL and becoming a GREEN member here on NES...

[cheers]

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Everyone! I'm in Bridgewater. Currently I don't own a gun. I've been thinking about it for a long time now and given current events combined with the November election, I figure it's time to stop thinking and start doing. I found this site while researching the regulations/process for ownership in MA and it looked like a great resource. I have lots of questions and will be spending time searching through threads to see what I can learn before posting anything. Looking forward to finding out what I need to know and finally doing what should have been done long ago. Thanks!

Welcome!

Hopefully you are considering joining the NRA, GOAL and becoming a GREEN member here on NES...

[cheers]

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Spent about a hour and half this morning with the very helpful gents at On Target Training and got good information. Just signed up for a training class there next Saturday, step one done!

Welcome!

[/QUOTE=northframingham;5071126]
Yes, all 3 are in the plan!

Last edited:
Good morning all,
I have been reading a lot of info here and wanted to say thanks for the site and all the contributors. My wife and I finally joined joined the NRA last year and we both took our basic firearms class at MFS in November. Thankfully we live in a green town, Halifax. I didn't get around to setting up my appt with our LO until mid May due to my wife having surgery and needing to take care of her. This brings me to my question. I was looking at the flow chart of how a new licence is processed from my LO to the DCJIS. I was never printed. I got my photo taken and I believe he did the background check. Should I be concerned that he didn't take my prints? Thanks for any answers.

Scott

Len,
Thanks for the response. The only thing I could think of is I got an FID card 30 years ago when I was 14. I don't recall if I was printed back then. If I was would those still be used?

Len,
Thanks for the response. The only thing I could think of is I got an FID card 30 years ago when I was 14. I don't recall if I was printed back then. If I was would those still be used?

No, everyone had to get printed/re-printed after the 1998 law went into affect. So as much as you are still considered a renewal under MGL, you still need fresh prints if it wasn't done since 1998.

I'm James and I'm new to the forum. Also new to guns and shooting. I retired from my first hobby of choice last year and decided to make shooting my replacement. I haven't shot a gun in about 30 years. This year I decided it was time to change that. I along with a couple of coworkers went a did our firearms safety course. So far I am the only one to have followed it all the way through to my LTC. I did hold a FID card back when I was 17 that was good "forever" Sadly forever ended about a year later and being off to college I never kept up with it. I have already made a couple of purchases and ready to learn.

Just figured I would post here! First time LTC-A carrier and I have still yet to commit to a piece of equipment. I am making my way to MFS this afternoon to try out a few things before I make an investment.

I currently live in Shirley MA, 30 years old and can really see myself getting into the competitive side of shooting (IDPA and USPSA).

Thanks for such a large and well populated forum! I hope to contribute!

I'm James and I'm new to the forum. Also new to guns and shooting. I retired from my first hobby of choice last year and decided to make shooting my replacement. I haven't shot a gun in about 30 years. This year I decided it was time to change that. I along with a couple of coworkers went a did our firearms safety course. So far I am the only one to have followed it all the way through to my LTC. I did hold a FID card back when I was 17 that was good "forever" Sadly forever ended about a year later and being off to college I never kept up with it. I have already made a couple of purchases and ready to learn.

Hi, James! Welcome to NES. Thanks for becoming a green member and supporting the great community we have here. There is a wealth of information on NES as you know, hope you have fun while you soak in all the knowledge you can. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the "2016 NES Green Member Shoot Schedule at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club" thread and plan to make it out to a shoot in the future. You will meet lots of great and generous folks from the forum, I know I have [smile] Plus, they're fun too [mg]

Just figured I would post here! First time LTC-A carrier and I have still yet to commit to a piece of equipment. I am making my way to MFS this afternoon to try out a few things before I make an investment.

I currently live in Shirley MA, 30 years old and can really see myself getting into the competitive side of shooting (IDPA and USPSA).

Thanks for such a large and well populated forum! I hope to contribute!

Hi, dEX! 'grats on your LTC-A. Wise choice on going to a range and trying out some guns before you buy. Have fun at MFS and report back your thoughts on the various things you try out, it may help another member out. See you around on the forum!

Hi, James! Welcome to NES. Thanks for becoming a green member and supporting the great community we have here. There is a wealth of information on NES as you know, hope you have fun while you soak in all the knowledge you can. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the "2016 NES Green Member Shoot Schedule at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club" thread and plan to make it out to a shoot in the future. You will meet lots of great and generous folks from the forum, I know I have [smile] Plus, they're fun too [mg] ...

I originally stumbled on this forum during a hunt for funny cat pictures with which to bombard my balmy cat-lady neighbor, in email. Stuck around for the conversation and before you know it you're shooting guns you never thought you'd ever get to see outside of a Die Hard movie.

Hi my name is Adam I'm 23 y.o. and I'm currently living/working in Waltham MA as a mechanical engineer, and I just got my MA basic firearms training last weekend at Mass Firearms School. They suggested I check out northeast shooters so here I am! The process for applying for an LTC in Waltham MA is pretty insane, with 3 references, a written letter, and an interview, with no possibility for unrestricted LTC first go around :/ I'm job hunting right now and am looking to find something in MA by September, so do you think I should wait till I move to apply for my LTC in a different town? Do you think in the matter of a few months, Congress/POTUS will enact strict gun laws on "assault rifles"? I'm interested in shooting at the range and honing my skills, but also preparing for a SHTF scenario and I really want an AR 15 or AR 10. I'll settle for a bolt action .308 if need be.... Any advice here would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,
My name is Shawn and I'm a 37 year old father from Marshfield. I've been shooting a number of times over the years with some friends and taken the safety course a few times but never followed through for some resaon. I have an appointment at my local police station later today to finally correct that. I plan to take a few more classes at MFS in the next few months and am looking for a good range on the South Shore to go to regularly. I want to do everything I can to keep my family safe so the plan is all the training and practice, for me as well as them, that we can afford. I look forward to learning more and meeting some other like minded people.

Hi my name is Adam I'm 23 y.o. and I'm currently living/working in Waltham MA as a mechanical engineer, and I just got my MA basic firearms training last weekend at Mass Firearms School. They suggested I check out northeast shooters so here I am! The process for applying for an LTC in Waltham MA is pretty insane, with 3 references, a written letter, and an interview, with no possibility for unrestricted LTC first go around :/ I'm job hunting right now and am looking to find something in MA by September, so do you think I should wait till I move to apply for my LTC in a different town? Do you think in the matter of a few months, Congress/POTUS will enact strict gun laws on "assault rifles"? I'm interested in shooting at the range and honing my skills, but also preparing for a SHTF scenario and I really want an AR 15 or AR 10. I'll settle for a bolt action .308 if need be.... Any advice here would be appreciated.

Hi Adam. Welcome to NES. I can't really comment on the Waltham LTC situation. Good luck either way and happy shooting when you're at the range. See you around on the forum.

Hi everyone,
My name is Shawn and I'm a 37 year old father from Marshfield. I've been shooting a number of times over the years with some friends and taken the safety course a few times but never followed through for some resaon. I have an appointment at my local police station later today to finally correct that. I plan to take a few more classes at MFS in the next few months and am looking for a good range on the South Shore to go to regularly. I want to do everything I can to keep my family safe so the plan is all the training and practice, for me as well as them, that we can afford. I look forward to learning more and meeting some other like minded people.

Welcome, Shawn! Good for you on taking action to keep you and your family safe. Good luck on your appointment later. I hope you enjoy your time here on NES like I do. I have met a lot of very knowledgeable and generous folks here.

Hi folks,

My name's Chris and I live in Central MA. I've been a lurker here for a while so I thought it'd be a good idea to register and participate in the forum! I haven't been into firearms as long as many of the members here, but it's been an interest of mine for a long time. My family never wanted firearms or thought they were necessary so I didn't get the chance to get into firearms growing up. Now that I'm older with a home and a family I decided it would be a good idea to get my LTC for two reasons...1. for protection purposes and 2. to pursue my long-standing interest in them. I received my LTC-A a few months ago without a hitch and have spent quite a bit of time delving into the world of firearms since then. My first purchase (and certainly not last!) was a .40 Sig P226. I go to the range pretty often with my wife, brothers-in-law and father-in-law so the P226 is what I've been using to practice the few pistol techniques I know. My wife is in the process of getting her LTC and she should have it, hopefully, in the next few weeks.

I'm looking forward to meeting and talking with the other members here. It seems like a great corner of the 'net for firearm enthusiasts in this area!

Hi folks,

My name's Chris and I live in Central MA. I've been a lurker here for a while so I thought it'd be a good idea to register and participate in the forum! I haven't been into firearms as long as many of the members here, but it's been an interest of mine for a long time. My family never wanted firearms or thought they were necessary so I didn't get the chance to get into firearms growing up. Now that I'm older with a home and a family I decided it would be a good idea to get my LTC for two reasons...1. for protection purposes and 2. to pursue my long-standing interest in them. I received my LTC-A a few months ago without a hitch and have spent quite a bit of time delving into the world of firearms since then. My first purchase (and certainly not last!) was a .40 Sig P226. I go to the range pretty often with my wife, brothers-in-law and father-in-law so the P226 is what I've been using to practice the few pistol techniques I know. My wife is in the process of getting her LTC and she should have it, hopefully, in the next few weeks.

I'm looking forward to meeting and talking with the other members here. It seems like a great corner of the 'net for firearm enthusiasts in this area!

Welcome Chris! Glad to see you here, looking forward to your posts on the forum in the future. Consider going green sometime so you can participate and take advantage of stuff like group buys, karma (giveaways), and of course the beloved the member shoots up at Monadock R&G Club in NH. It's always a great time there and you get to meet many of our awesome members. Glad to hear that you go to the range often with your family. I used to go every weekend with my husband but have been busy lately. We need to pick it up again. Cheers!

Hello. My name is Gaidar.

A few years ago I moved to the US from Russia. I used to shoot IPSC in Russia - only club level, no real competition. 2 year with no practice at all, and now I got my LTC, buying a Glock gun as I used to own Glock 17 in Russia, and going to start training and shooting USPSA.

Not much experience with guns so far. I hope some day to participate in 3-gun competitions.

Would love to make new friends among fellow shooters, and learn from them.

A friend of mine advised me to join this forum to stay up-to-date with everything related to guns.

Thanks!

Hello. My name is Gaidar.

A few years ago I moved to the US from Russia. I used to shoot IPSC in Russia - only club level, no real competition. 2 year with no practice at all, and now I got my LTC, buying a Glock gun as I used to own Glock 17 in Russia, and going to start training and shooting USPSA.

Not much experience with guns so far. I hope some day to participate in 3-gun competitions.

Would love to make new friends among fellow shooters, and learn from them.

A friend of mine advised me to join this forum to stay up-to-date with everything related to guns.

Thanks!

Hi Gaidar! Welcome to NES. Hope you get to join in on the competitions soon. Consider going green at some point, so you can take advantageous of the member specific forums and maybe go to a NES Member only shoot. I have met many, many awesome folks from NES in real life. Enjoy [smile]

Hello NES, I am Manipulatory.

I am a 27 year old that came across the site when researching the process of acquiring an LTC in MA. I currently live in Dedham, Massachusetts and I am looking to begin training courses in the coming months. I have only minor experience with firearms, mostly a few times firing a Mauser, a shotgun and a couple of pistols. I am hoping to gain some knowledge about how to go about obtaining a Class A LTC in the town of Dedham. I plan to take a few classes to become more than basically qualified and then join a range to practice those skills.

I am concerned that not having connections to the town, a long history of firearms usage, or a "special" profession, will result in me being issued a restricted license despite Dedham being listed green. I hope that some of the information I've found here will help me to secure a class A LTC for ALP. I look forward to supporting NES and organizations like Comm2A and GOAL. Thanks!

Hello NES, I am Manipulatory.

I am a 27 year old that came across the site when researching the process of acquiring an LTC in MA. I currently live in Dedham, Massachusetts and I am looking to begin training courses in the coming months. I have only minor experience with firearms, mostly a few times firing a Mauser, a shotgun and a couple of pistols. I am hoping to gain some knowledge about how to go about obtaining a Class A LTC in the town of Dedham. I plan to take a few classes to become more than basically qualified and then join a range to practice those skills.

I am concerned that not having connections to the town, a long history of firearms usage, or a "special" profession, will result in me being issued a restricted license despite Dedham being listed green. I hope that some of the information I've found here will help me to secure a class A LTC for ALP. I look forward to supporting NES and organizations like Comm2A and GOAL. Thanks!

Hi Manipulatory. Welcome to NES!! Sounds like you're doing some good research so far. Don't forget to use the search functionality on the forum as well. I hope you'll get your LTC-A without issues and soon. Look forward to seeing you around NES [mg]

New member check in. I used to shoot a lot of USPSA stuff. Took 15 yrs off, now back with my 13 yr old Jr shooter. "I aint as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was....."

Hi, been a lurker for a while and and since you guys seem very helpful decided to join. Living in MA i'll take all the help i can get here. :)

Back
Top Bottom