New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Group, hello:

My name is John and I am formerly indifferent to matters of gun ownership.

Raised by a wonderful pair of Massachusetts "anti's", I was taught that guns are bad and do not belong in civilian hands.

Fast forward to adulthood: a friend (in free NH) let me fire his shotgun around 1997 (I hit a clay on my 1st shot), and I thought it was cool and wanted to learn more, but, life got in the way and that was that. Marriage, work, kids, etc. took over. I used to be busy with single guy stuff, now I was busy with married guy stuff.

As time passed, and I was now in my late 30s, I wanted to learn how to use, and wanted to buy, a bolt action rifle.

I asked some folks I knew how I should proceed, and on these friends' advice, I took the pistol/revolver basic safety course that MA required. My wife joined me in class. We got our MA LTC's after a 4 month wait. I have shot as a guest at a MA range, at a friend's house in free Maine, and, am now joining a MA range that's local to me.

I am enjoying my new hobby and wish I had gotten involved sooner.

Thank you for listening,

-JOHN

Hello and welcome John,

Happy you came around to introduce yourself. Sounds like we have a bit of a similar upbringing in concerns to guns. Never to late to start enjoying the hobby though! Glad to see your doing just that and thank you for joining in as a supporter of the forum. Hope to see you in the threads or out at the range sometime, where did you decide to call home for a club?

Also to all our newest members please consider donating to the Pro-2nd organizations to continue the good fight… GOAL, COMM2A, GOA, Etc. all need our support now more then ever. Thank you in advance!

@ Dirtypacman,

Thank you very much. Still working on the pistol. Planning on going for a 9mm to start and work my way back to a 1911. Few options on the table.. HK, FNX, XD, MP .. Still weighing the pros and cons of each option..

@ Dirtypacman,

Thank you very much. Still working on the pistol. Planning on going for a 9mm to start and work my way back to a 1911. Few options on the table.. HK, FNX, XD, MP .. Still weighing the pros and cons of each option..

Hi Grail,
You should be aware that MA has some pretty bizarre regulations regarding dealer sales of handguns, so you may have a difficult time finding some of the pistols you listed. It is perfectly legal for you to own them, but your options will be more limited than you may expect, and you may wind up paying more than MSRP and/or waiting a while in order to get what you want.

There is a thread with some more info here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

Hi Grail,
You should be aware that MA has some pretty bizarre regulations regarding dealer sales of handguns, so you may have a difficult time finding some of the pistols you listed. It is perfectly legal for you to own them, but your options will be more limited than you may expect, and you may wind up paying more than MSRP and/or waiting a while in order to get what you want.

There is a thread with some more info here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

I am aware of it, or at least i think i am. I know only certain Hk models are available and expensive, not sure if FNH is on the legal list.. I'm looking for a Ma legal 9mm for a lefty, but if none of the ones i want are available, I also have plan B

Greetings,
I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself, thank the forum for the invaluable information and share my experience on recently receiving my LTC.

I applied for an LTC-A in Ipswich, MA. As a first time applicant, I wasn't sure what to expect and I couldn't find anyone's personal experience from my town. Ipswich is a green town so that was encouraging. I also have a clean record and am prior military. On my application I listed for reason of issuance, all lawful purpose and personal protection. There wasn't a formal interview
per se, just some small chit-chat while the officer entered the application into the system. When the officer entered the reason of issuance into the system, he only typed ALP and left out whatever else I had written. From there it was the mugshot and prints. I was told that Boston was pretty backed up and I could expect a response in a few months.
I received my LTC-A with no restrictions in 111 days.

Looking forward to shopping once I get out of Christmas debt.

I may not say much on the forums but I'm very appreciative to all the contributors.

Happy New Year!!

Greetings,
I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself, thank the forum for the invaluable information and share my experience on recently receiving my LTC.

I applied for an LTC-A in Ipswich, MA. As a first time applicant, I wasn't sure what to expect and I couldn't find anyone's personal experience from my town. Ipswich is a green town so that was encouraging. I also have a clean record and am prior military. On my application I listed for reason of issuance, all lawful purpose and personal protection. There wasn't a formal interview
per se, just some small chit-chat while the officer entered the application into the system. When the officer entered the reason of issuance into the system, he only typed ALP and left out whatever else I had written. From there it was the mugshot and prints. I was told that Boston was pretty backed up and I could expect a response in a few months.
I received my LTC-A with no restrictions in 111 days.

Looking forward to shopping once I get out of Christmas debt.

I may not say much on the forums but I'm very appreciative to all the contributors.

Happy New Year!!

WOw 111 days thats almost criminal that it took that long. Very happy that you were able to get one regardless but the wait is unthinkable. Glad to have you on board contributing and hope to see you in more of the discussions. Enjoy

Hello all. First post here - referred by a friend from college, ASP - hoping to learn a lot. I'm a big fan of the 80% community and am currently working on bringing a new product to the 80% market with a new business. PVR Machine. No website up yet, but stay tuned for something within the coming year.

Hello all. First post here - referred by a friend from college, ASP - hoping to learn a lot. I'm a big fan of the 80% community and am currently working on bringing a new product to the 80% market with a new business. PVR Machine. No website up yet, but stay tuned for something within the coming year.

Welcome PVRmachine, glad you got the referral here. Interested to see what you will post. Enjoy the site

Thanks DirtyPacMan.

There are a few ranges convenient to me and I am still deciding which one to start with.

Interestingly my "anti" parents are/were not of "moonbat" status. They provided me with all manner of cap guns, caps, toy rifle/"black machine gun", and a spring-loaded cowboy six shooter of some type that shot out little orange "bullets", when I was a kid. Came with a holster and everything, and the bullets had little holders you could clip them into, in my belt. It was a great era. Mom and Dad knew that toys were toys, and that playing "cops and robbers" or "Sheriff" or "Army" was good healthy fun & was standard neighborhood entertainment for us......and I remember one time we all brought our toy guns to school (I think I brought the toy rifle that made "machine gun" sounds) and played with them out at recess. 35+ years ago was a great time to be a kid.

Although I was mindful of their opinions on guns as I got older, I remained indifferent on the matter into adulthood.....and made my own decision on things when the time came for me to do so. I am blessed to have a wife who shares my thoughts on things!

Happy to be here. Thanks for the welcome.

-JOHN

Happy New Year to you all from a new member. Mass resident for 59 years! long time hunter, shooter (both guns and BS) and fishing whenever I can.

NRA for 35+ years
G.O.A.L. for 2 years
Member Pelham Fish and Game Club. 9+ years

FID card renewal 5+ months and still waiting
Been told the State has spent several years and millions of dollars compiling records of gun owners going back some 50 years or more

Glad to be here!
Harry
Tewksbury, MA

Thanks DirtyPacMan.

There are a few ranges convenient to me and I am still deciding which one to start with.

Interestingly my "anti" parents are/were not of "moonbat" status. They provided me with all manner of cap guns, caps, toy rifle/"black machine gun", and a spring-loaded cowboy six shooter of some type that shot out little orange "bullets", when I was a kid. Came with a holster and everything, and the bullets had little holders you could clip them into, in my belt. It was a great era. Mom and Dad knew that toys were toys, and that playing "cops and robbers" or "Sheriff" or "Army" was good healthy fun & was standard neighborhood entertainment for us......and I remember one time we all brought our toy guns to school (I think I brought the toy rifle that made "machine gun" sounds) and played with them out at recess. 35+ years ago was a great time to be a kid.

Although I was mindful of their opinions on guns as I got older, I remained indifferent on the matter into adulthood.....and made my own decision on things when the time came for me to do so. I am blessed to have a wife who shares my thoughts on things!

Happy to be here. Thanks for the welcome.

-JOHN

Haha yes the good old days - I did get a pellet gun which at the time was amazing to me that I was able to get my Mom to purchase it. Thats when you could play "war" all day Wolverines FTW!

- - - Updated - - -

Happy New Year to you all from a new member. Mass resident for 59 years! long time hunter, shooter (both guns and BS) and fishing whenever I can.

NRA for 35+ years
G.O.A.L. for 2 years
Member Pelham Fish and Game Club. 9+ years

FID card renewal 5+ months and still waiting
Been told the State has spent several years and millions of dollars compiling records of gun owners going back some 50 years or more

Glad to be here!
Harry
Tewksbury, MA

Welcome Harry,

Thank you for the dedication to the good fight. Glad to have you posting here and hope you can come to enjoy the site as much as the rest of us.

Hi,

I'm a new member on here. I am a member at Braintree rifle and pistol and I have three pistols and two rifles right now. I look forward to posting on here, as this forum is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks, and happy new year

- Paul

Welcome Paul,

Happy to have you here, many other members of Braintree post here as well. See you in the discussions.

Hey!

I am one of the programmers on gunwatcher.com. We were recommended to check this forum from some people on facebook and really like it! Look forward to seeing everyone around here.

Hello,

I'm one of the new guys here. Thank you for making this forum a good resource for information for all of us newbies out there.

-Matthew

Hey!

I am one of the programmers on gunwatcher.com. We were recommended to check this forum from some people on facebook and really like it! Look forward to seeing everyone around here.

Hello and welcome gunwatcher,

Glad you got the referral and have enjoyed your time here. I'll take a look at your site a bit later on.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

I'm one of the new guys here. Thank you for making this forum a good resource for information for all of us newbies out there.

-Matthew

Glad to have you Matthew, enjoy the site and hope to see you become active here.

Hello everyone new to the website, I'm 26 and from Lawrence MA first time gun owner long time fisherman. I found out about this website by visiting the websites of local gun shops. I joined because I want to become more knowledgeable about firearms. Over these next few months I would like to work on my marksmanship, join a gun and rod club, and learn how to shoot archery.

Hello everyone new to the website, I'm 26 and from Lawrence MA first time gun owner long time fisherman. I found out about this website by visiting the websites of local gun shops. I joined because I want to become more knowledgeable about firearms. Over these next few months I would like to work on my marksmanship, join a gun and rod club, and learn how to shoot archery.

Welcome smokingbarrel,

I am some what surprised nobody has used that handle before for their username. Glad to have you on board and enjoying the site so far. Hope you will continue to enjoy the forum and learn as much as you can. Practice Practice Practice

Welcome

Welcome to the site.
My wife works at WPI. Her name is Jeannine she works in the Mechanical Engineering Department as an admin.
If you need any help with your shooting skills or have questions feel free to drop me a line. welcome to the site and i hope you find it to be a useful friendly site.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site.

Scott Germain

Hey, I just registered and saw this thread so I thought I'd post. My name is Bill, and I live in Tyngsboro, MA, but go to school out at WPI in Worcester. Been shooting since I was a kid and they let us use the .22's at Scout camp. Just got my Class A LTC a few months ago so I'm still pretty new to the world of actually owning guns. I stumbled on the site when I was looking for some clarification on MA laws, and it looks like this is going to be a great place to get information!

Hi NES,

Very active shooters blog group. The articles are current with great comments.

I will be spending enjoyable time on the blog.

I am an active pistol shooter with a CWP. Currently own a Sig 226 and a Walther PPQ both 9mm.

He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears

Hi NES,

Very active shooters blog group. The articles are current with great comments.

I will be spending enjoyable time on the blog.

I am an active pistol shooter with a CWP. Currently own a Sig 226 and a Walther PPQ both 9mm.

He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears

Welcome and glad you found the site useful,

Hope you stick around to join in the discussions as well. Enjoy your time here.

Hi All,

I'm new to the site and shooting in general, just received my LTC-A, only shot at the range a few times and using my friends firearms at their ranges! From what I hear, the selection of firearms in MA is a bit limited, are there any stores you would recommend a first time shopper to check out, or should I check over in NH or ME? I'm also just looking for a shotgun, so being a Long-Gun it should go smoother out of State!

Hi All,

I'm new to the site and shooting in general, just received my LTC-A, only shot at the range a few times and using my friends firearms at their ranges! From what I hear, the selection of firearms in MA is a bit limited, are there any stores you would recommend a first time shopper to check out, or should I check over in NH or ME? I'm also just looking for a shotgun, so being a Long-Gun it should go smoother out of State!

Welcome TargetedFiring,

Glad to hear of your recent license acquisition. Nice to have friends with some goodies to shot till you get your own. Don't let the list of approved Firearms in MA get you down, that is just a reference list of what dealers can generally sell new. You can get almost any model/manufacturer by private sale from another licensed individually who legally owns one to transfer. You may pay a premium for some harder to get items but other then that you can certainly wait to get exactly what you want. What area of MA are you located?

Thank you!

I'm in Quincy, so more South Shore. My friend suggested I check our Four Seasons...in Woburn I believe? I was most likely going to try to check on used anyway, so that is a relief indeed! I was mostly looking into a Remington 870 Express or the Mossberg 500...The savage shotguns also seem decent for my $200-300ish price point!

Thank you!

I'm in Quincy, so more South Shore. My friend suggested I check our Four Seasons...in Woburn I believe? I was most likely going to try to check on used anyway, so that is a relief indeed! I was mostly looking into a Remington 870 Express or the Mossberg 500...The savage shotguns also seem decent for my $200-300ish price point!

Excellent, yes Four Seasons is in Woburn and they have always been good to me. They should have all of the above but a phone call will save you the trouble if they don't.

Excellent, yes Four Seasons is in Woburn and they have always been good to me. They should have all of the above but a phone call will save you the trouble if they don't.

I actually just got back from there and they were having...(what I thought) to be a great deal on the Ruger 10/22 (from what I've seen so far for online pricing)...so I decided to go with the classic route of having that be my first firearm! They were indeed excellent and certainly busy like I was warned! Now to join a gun club and get some practice in!

Evening Folks,

I apologize for not making this my first post but i'm only now getting around to this part of the forum. There's sure a lot of content on this site!

Anyways i'm 54 years old, veteran of the US Army, married and currently living in Rehoboth Mass having recently moved back to the state from Rhode Island where I lived for 20 years. I divide my time between here and a camp I own in upstate Maine where I hope to retire in another 10-12 years.

I am long time gun owner having bought my first "evil black rifle" soon after getting out of the army in 1984. I'm a Member of the Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club and I have a Class A unlimited LTC.

I actually just got back from there and they were having...(what I thought) to be a great deal on the Ruger 10/22 (from what I've seen so far for online pricing)...so I decided to go with the classic route of having that be my first firearm! They were indeed excellent and certainly busy like I was warned! Now to join a gun club and get some practice in!

Can't go wrong with a 10/22, great choice!

- - - Updated - - -

Evening Folks,

I apologize for not making this my first post but i'm only now getting around to this part of the forum. There's sure a lot of content on this site!

Anyways i'm 54 years old, veteran of the US Army, married and currently living in Rehoboth Mass having recently moved back to the state from Rhode Island where I lived for 20 years. I divide my time between here and a camp I own in upstate Maine where I hope to retire in another 10-12 years.

I am long time gun owner having bought my first "evil black rifle" soon after getting out of the army in 1984. I'm a Member of the Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club and I have a Class A unlimited LTC.

Welcome Dave,

Thank you for your service. Happy that you had a chance to introduce yourself. Great site with a lot of good people. Hopefully you will come to enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom