New England Rifle Shooters Dominate at the National Matches

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
We're all back from the NRA National Matches safe and sound (and in some cases a bit battered and bruised.)

Some highlights:

• Norm Houle (RI) is the 2016 overall National Champion with a score of 2383-130x, dropping only 17 points across the whole 240 shot aggregate, and finding the X ring more than half the time. (Norm has several overall National Champion wins under his belt from previous years.)
  • Nash Neubauer (CT) took 4th in the civilian service rifle category with a 2351-79x. Nash is a previous Junior National Champion who is still killing it as an adult.
  • Mike Pietrowicz (MA) took 5th in the civilian match rifle category with a 2364-107x
  • Jeff Hirtle (Jasper) took 11th in the civilian match rifle category with a 2360-76x. Jeff also won the Air Force cup match with a 200-13x
  • I took 2nd in the master class, civilian match rifle category with a disappointing 2316-71x. (I had some zero issues and very rough offhand stages.)
  • Sierra Gold successfully defended last year's win in the RNDC team match with shooters Norm Houle (RI) and Dave Marshall (MA) representing New England.
  • Reading Rifle Gold took 2nd in the RNDC team match represented by firing members Charlie Trickett, Jeff Hirtle, Mike Pietrowicz, and Rob Greene (all from MA)
  • Reading Rifle Silver was 1st in the Master class in the RNDC with firing members Maureen Trickett, Mike Schunemann, Nash Neubauer (who was shooting a service rifle,) and myself. (All from MA except Nash who is from CT)
  • Jeff Hirtle took 6th in the Master classification Canadian Cup (1000 yard long range aggregate) with a 773-27x. I was 11th with a 766-16x, and Mike P was right there in 12th with a 765-22x. I know we were all hoping to break into high master but it wasn't to be this year. (Still not half bad for a bunch of guys who pretty much never shoot long range.)
  • Reading Silver won the master class, open match rifle category in the Roumanian Trophy team match (1000 yard long range team match.) Firing members Maureen Trickett, Jeff Hirtle, Mike Pietrowicz, and myself.

All in all it was a good year and we all had a lot of fun. It was hot and the days on the range were longer than in the past due to the new compressed format but we all made it out alive.

Full results here: http://competitions.nra.org/champio...tdoor-rifle-pistol-championships-results.aspx

Oh and on a side note, without exception everyone I talked to who learned that I was from MA knew about what was going on with our AG and offered encouragement. The show of support from shooters all over the country was nice to see.

The vast majority of shooters out there were firing some sort of AR, either in service rifle form or modified into match rifle configuration. For a rifle with no "sporting purpose" there sure were a lot of people competing with them.

Great job, Jason and gang! Somewhat encouraged by the words of condolences from free-staters. On that thought, might you and your fellow MA chorts have standing for a challenge lawsuit against Fauline Maura? You can no longer legally possess the latest AR equipment required to stay competitive in your sport? (I don't want to derail your thread, feel free to PM if needed.)

-JR

Nash is a member of Quaker Hill Rod and Gun Club in Oakdale. I know him and his father, really great people. He just turned old enough to legally carry handguns here, and he's a pretty good shot with a handgun also...

EDITED Tuesday 08/16:

Ran into Nash and his father Sunday at the range when Mike and I were playing with a crossbow. He was shocked when I congratulated him on his service rifle shooting, wondered just how the heck I'd heard about it. I told him that you, (JasonS) had posted here, and he said to say "hi", that he shoots with you a lot.

Freaking CT, Nash won an AR-15 at another competition, it's stored at a relative's property out of state because he can't bring it into Connecticut.

Last edited:
actually managed 5th for the erdman trophy too, shot one of the best offhand sets ever out there, only 1 point behind Norm :)

Congrats to all!

As an outsider who moved here only a few years ago, I have been impressed with the level of competitive activity and club organized shooting in general for New England. Obviously it is showing in your results!

New England Shooters- few but mighty!

I must have just barely sneaked in from the local matches before Perry. I sure didn't shoot well enough at Perry to rate. [shocked]

HM is no joke, you either pound the 10 ring or you don't. HM means you do. Nice job Jason, I love to see guys who put the time in get there. Congrats!

HM is no joke, you either pound the 10 ring or you don't. HM means you do. Nice job Jason, I love to see guys who put the time in get there. Congrats!

Thanks brother. I just went through my last scores before Perry. Average was exactly 97.0% on the nose. I'm the world's lowest high master. [rofl]

It's all good though. I'm starting to get the hang of the new rifle and I have a few relatively minor things to tune up in the off season. Never would have made it this far without all the amazing shooters around here to chase.

Sweet glad to see the locals in the top of the mix.
I doubt I will ever get to nationals and doubtful I will ever get enough to to put in to get any better than I shoot now.
I actually like checking out the National results and the cmp games results....

Back
Top Bottom