New carry gun- looking for different options

Well... been to too many family parties with too many up close hugs- the IWB carry isn't cutting it anymore. I don't feel like having the family find out I'm carrying something after getting a big hug. So.... at this point I don't think I have a ton of options. I know a lot of you have recommended a small revolver with a pocket holster. When I'm casual I use loose fitting jeans.. sometimes dockers. I'm looking at some S&Ws (many have recommended these and I like S&W). So... I'm a little confused on a couple things- is there a reason to GET a gun with a hammer (as opposed to a hammerless version)? I'm thinking 38 but I'm open to options since I only shoot 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP now. I know S&W makes a gazzion types with various metals... I've heard that some kinds are vulnerable to some cleaners- I'd opt for durability and strength for weight (I think). I'm a fool for not taking the oppty at the NES S&W trip... but I just made the decision yesterday.

Thanks- I'm reading up on posts and data on this.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no need for a hammer on a carry revolver. The S&W 642 is what you want. It's light, can shoot +P ammo, and there's nothing on it that will snag coming out of a pocket. There will be several at the Spring Shoot for you to try.

It's not a really easy gun to shoot without practice though - read my range report here.

Lugnut, I carry a S&W 442 in my front pocket all the time in a Mika holster. No one knows I'm carrying, even people from this board who I have met, who you would think might notice.

I choose the 442 because it is hammerless, which prevents any hangup while drawing from the pocket. I also like the double action only. If a hammer gun is used, and cocked in single action in a defensive situation, it is too easy under stress to pull the trigger when you don't want to, perhaps injuring someone you don't want to.

I prefer the heavier weight double action pull. With practice, you will shoot it just fine. I very seldom would have need for a single action, except at the range for fun, and I use other guns for that.

The 442 and the 642 (stainless) both weigh about 15 ounces. They carry in a pocket very well. I like the .38+ ammo available, and with a speed loader or two on hand I feel very well armed.

You could go up to a .357, but light ones are difficult to handle for followup shots, have huge muzzle blast that can destroy night vision, and are usually heavier.

A alloy .357 is a lot to handle, but in a crisis situation you wouldn't notice, but you'll be limited in how much practice you will be willing to do with the heavy recoil.

Someone here on the forum bought a Kahr PM9 recently. That could be a good option too. It's maybe the smallest 9mm you can get, if you can find one. The Roarbach (SP) is smaller, but costs three times as much.

just my 2c.

Get a fannie pack and carry it that way 5:11 makes one I think or you can look online, But how much to you get hugs? I wouldn't be worried about it stick with IWB.

I just got a used Kahr K9 sweet little pistol I usally carry IWB but with it I can carry with a T-shirt and hip holster.

I thought about a fannie pack but in most cases it'd look inappropriate or dorky. Plus, other people "in the know" may figure out you're probably carrying.

The S&W 642 in a pocket holster fits very well in the front pocket of my cargo pants (not the pockets half way down the leg... that causes too much banging around of the gun). When hugging relatives, you probably won't be doing much pressing of your pelvis against them (I hope not!), so they shouldn't be able to feel what's in your pocket.

Get a fannie pack and carry it that way 5:11 makes one I think or you can look online, But how much to you get hugs? I wouldn't be worried about it stick with IWB.

I just got a used Kahr K9 sweet little pistol I usally carry IWB but with it I can carry with a T-shirt and hip holster.

Well, the problem is some members of my family are always hugging coming and going... plus lots of kids jumping around. Fannie pack it out. I have a K9 as well- I think the G26 conceals better since its grips are shorter although the K9 is thinner.

642/442 look promising and the price isn't crazy.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no need for a hammer on a carry revolver. The S&W 642 is what you want. It's light, can shoot +P ammo, and there's nothing on it that will snag coming out of a pocket. There will be several at the Spring Shoot for you to try.

It's not a really easy gun to shoot without practice though - read my range report here.

Nice range report. The only thing the concerns me is the finish on the aluminum. I guess it's not that much of a concern. I'll get to the Spring Shoot... although I may miss all the fun shooting I'll get there!

Another thing to keep in mind... if you prefer something with a bit more
weight, an S+W 640 will also fit in a pocket holster just fine, even if it
is several ounces more heavier. I don't find the extra weight that big of a
deal and appreciate the reduction in perceived recoil... and I can fire
.357s out of it, if I want.

The 642 and 442 are excellent choices though, if the gun must be on a
weight diet.

-Mike

Hey eddie
thanks for the range report, I have the same snubbie and it was a great read!

Lugnut, if you want seriously deep concealment, SmartCarry is the way to go. If any of your relatives hug you close enough to tell you're carrying a handgun in a SmartCarry, you might be a redneck. [wink]

Just a thought, I had considered an ankle holster for my J frame at one time but didnt feel it would be as accessable as pocket carry. It would fix your "hug" issue but then you'd may have issues when sitting and little kids are always hugging legs...

Back
Top Bottom