New Bodyguard Issues

Bought a new Bodyguard yesterday and when I got home I was looking it over and when dry firing it I noticed the hammer was a little off center. I then noticed that it was also running against the slide when I actuated it. From what I've read on the S&W forums this is not good and will likely cause ftf's because the hammer is being slowed down. Not good, wished I had seen it before I bought it but wasn't thinking of that at all.

0acb5bc2ab029ccd137529e2f205f6e7.jpg
179cfd7b3872fd8e72f03e1eda411d6c.jpg
d507319e0b789972333bcf9a18922f95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm... just took mine out of my pocket and checked. Never noticed mine is off to the right also.

That said, I've got 500+ rounds through it with never a hickup. I'm not going to worry about internet measurebations and postulations. Experience with this gun says it will go bang when I need it to. That's enough for me.

hmmm... just took mine out of my pocket and checked. Never noticed mine is off to the right also.

That said, I've got 500+ rounds through it with never a hickup. I'm not going to worry about internet measurebations and postulations. Experience with this gun says it will go bang when I need it to. That's enough for me.

Does your hammer scrape across the slide though? Looked at my brothers bodyguard and it favors the right as well, but it has no marks at all on the slide.

Have you shot it yet? .. If not, shoot it. If there is a problem, simply send it back to S&W and they'll fix it.. but I doubt you'll have any issues..

Since it's a carry gun, you should trust it completely. Call smith and ask them what to do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I would have noticed that. I have one. It was one of my many this will be my carry gun purchases. Haven't shot it for a while, but I remember thinking it wasn't bad for what it was.

Since it's a carry gun, you should trust it completely. Call smith and ask them what to do.

This is exactly how I feel. This would be a primary carry gun for me so I need 100% confidence that it'll work. Going to call S&W later today and see what they say. Better safe than sorry.

for what it's worth....i own a smith 4013 i bought in october '91. it's a compact and has a bobbed hammer that also favors the right side and scrapes the slide. aesthetically, it bothers the hell out of me but because this semi auto is the most reliable pistol i've ever owned, shot or heard of that's 100% reliable in every way out of the box, i've kept it over 25 years. it has thousands and thousands of rounds thru it and i can look anyone in the eye and say it's never malfunctioned, period, end of story.

i trust the gun with my life. i sometimes still carry it and it's always on duty as a house gun. it's beside me every night as i sleep. hell, i've had 3 women that i use to sleep beside leave me in the time i've owned it.

there's a moral here somewhere that i'm trying to convey to the op.

it's not a custom 1911, it's a grade B pocket gun. shoot the thing before deciding it's defective. if it runs 200 rds of factory ammo and 50 rds of carry ammo without a malfunction, you got a keeper and don't worry about the hammer.

Just called S&W and the customer service guy didn't sound too concerned. He said his bodyguard hammer favors the right too, but it doesn't contact the slide. He told me my best option was to send pictures to them and someone will respond within 2-3 days. He said if it does need addressing it's going to be a 5-6 week turn around. Just going to take it to the range and see how it runs.

it's not a custom 1911, it's a grade B pocket gun. shoot the thing before deciding it's defective. if it runs 200 rds of factory ammo and 50 rds of carry ammo without a malfunction, you got a keeper and don't worry about the hammer.

This^^^^^^^^

If the only issue you have with it is the hammer is a little off center you should be grateful. The Bodyguard is not a reliable gun and not one I would bet my life on. I own one and the only plus to that gun is you will never pull the trigger by accident.

Took it to the range today and ran 50 rounds of Perfecta .380 through it. No problems at all. After reading a few comments from this thread I think it'll be fine. Defiantly not worth sending it back to S&W for 6 weeks. Going to get back out to the range to send some more down the pipe soon. For now I'd say it's reliable enough to carry. Also I should mention that these newer bodyguards seem to have a more aggressive texture on the grip. Looks the same as the old ones yet more aggressive. Reminds me of the Shield 45 almost like a grip-tape feel.

d98405965a7e30ab1eec420e365e3987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
good stuff. glad you checked it out before trying to send it back. would also run your carry ammo through it to be sure it feeds. in these small .380's there's no guarantee every ammo will cycle (especially JHP) and my experience has been that even the best little .380's have some ammo types they don't like. and certainly don't want to find that out when one needs it.

good stuff. glad you checked it out before trying to send it back. would also run your carry ammo through it to be sure it feeds. in these small .380's there's no guarantee every ammo will cycle (especially JHP) and my experience has been that even the best little .380's have some ammo types they don't like. and certainly don't want to find that out when one needs it.

Need to run some carry ammo through it for sure. I have a box of Honady Critical Defense .380 that's over a year old and should probably replaced with new stuff anyway. [grin]

I looked at mine and it looks centered. No wear mark. Those hammers are MIM parts. Have a look at the hammer and see if there is a burr on the parting line. Looks like the hammer is just leaving material on the slide more that wearing on it.

Need to run some carry ammo through it for sure. I have a box of Honady Critical Defense .380 that's over a year old and should probably replaced with new stuff anyway. [grin]

I'm with you there.. just picked up the new Shield 45 Saturday, ran 100 rds 230grn round nose through it flawless... carrying it right now with the ball ammo.. going to the range tonite and running a box of carry ammo through it.. what a gun!!! Amazing accuracy

This is what mine looks like.

Any carry gun of mine gets several hundred down the pipe with at least 2 boxes of carry ammo thrown in before I carry with confidence. I inspect the brass during this period for weak primer strikes, deformation, etc.

Comments to the effect the bg380 is in general not reliable are crap. Don't believe comments like that on the face unless there is overwhelming evidence. The key point is you verify it yourself with your carry ammo of choice.

45549a6ef5867db7d3ff1ffe4391dfd5.jpg

db6d17a331ea205ded7e5aa7f0516b0d.jpg

Hard to see but there is a rub mark on the slide.

Back
Top Bottom